Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Can I get this look Sectional Sofa in a better quality?
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 4:14 pm
SDmother wrote:
https://www.potterybarn.com/m/products/chesterfield-square-arm-upholstered-4-piece-sectional/?cm_src=WsiPip1%26recstrat%3dView-View-1%257CVV-GRP-AFF-CF

Is their customer service so amazing that it pays to buy there?

They dont offer velvets or more formal fabrics, it seems, though.

Amarante

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 4:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is their customer service so amazing that it pays to buy there?

They dont offer velvets or more formal fabrics, it seems, though.

Pottery Barn is expensive for the actual quality. It is on par with Restoration Hardware, Crate & Barrel and the equivalent.

They do offer velvet fabrics in this style if you look at all the options.

The advantage of buying from a place like PB is that you can visit your local store and see stuff in person and also see in something that should be more or less equivalent.

If there are any issues you are dealing with a local place.

There are long lead times of course - probably at least three months if not more since their furniture is generally made when you order it.

amother
Wallflower

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 4:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Has anyone seen either of these 2 styles, or similar, in any stores in or near NY?

I was inspired by your post. Was in Living Quarters in Lakewood today shopping for a dinette set and showed the guy there the picture you posted. He said he can order something like this. I'm considering it! (happen to be in the market for a sofa too)

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 12:39 am
amother [ Wallflower ] wrote:
I was inspired by your post. Was in Living Quarters in Lakewood today shopping for a dinette set and showed the guy there the picture you posted. He said he can order something like this. I'm considering it! (happen to be in the market for a sofa too)

Sounds good BUT,

I used to work in a very uppity dress store in Brooklyn, where the wealthiest women of the community shopped. We sold the top brands but I used to see my boss snip out labels of garbage brand name clothing and replace with her own.

Would Living Quarters tell you the brand theyre selling you so you can check the ratings online or network to see the reputation of the brand so you know youre getting really good stuff, or will they say we had this made up for us, so its not a brand.. and end up selling you some shlock brand that they convince people is some high quality custom brand?

Please let me know what they tell you.

amother
Honey

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 12:54 am
You'll never make a decision with such cynicism.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 1:12 am
amother [ Honey ] wrote:
You'll never make a decision with such cynicism.

Had I not seen it with my own eyes, I wouldnt be a cynic, but thats what business people do.

Gullible geese assumed they were getting some imported top brand and were getting garbage.

Hey, no one ever lost by asking questions before purchase of a more expensive item! Its smart to be cynical when making a major purchase.

nicole81

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 1:47 am
I've ordered furniture from both Wayfair and Amazon. Overstock, too btw. I would only buy from Amazon if it was prime, so I know I'm completely protected when it comes to returns.

Wayfair you can return, but you would have to pay for shipping it back unless it arrives damaged or with some defect.

I don't think it's risky ordering from Wayfair, but to understand what you're getting, you need to carefully read all the product information and specifications. Compare them to sectionals from other places in your price range. Don't pay too much attention to the exact style, just get a feel of how roughly similar models (dimensions are important) compare on things like materials, item weight, and weight capacity.

I love what you posted and it looks like a reasonable price for what you're getting. Note that it's made of manufactured wood, the legs are plastic, and that the seat cushions are firm and made with coils and foam. I wouldn't get it simply because I would not want coiled cushions. But these are the reasons it's cheaper. It doesn't mean it will be a terrible product that will fall apart quickly, it just won't hold up as well as items made from better materials.

You might also notice, when comparing, that even some of the more expensive items are made with the same materials. That's how you know an item is not worth it. If ordering from living quarters, insist on seeing all the item specs before committing. Specs are the best way to know what you're getting in terms of quality when ordering sight unseen.

Also, this one doesn't have a maximum weight capacity. Definitely see if you can find out through Wayfair or the manufacturer.

Amarante

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 8:47 am
nicole81 wrote:
I've ordered furniture from both Wayfair and Amazon. Overstock, too btw. I would only buy from Amazon if it was prime, so I know I'm completely protected when it comes to returns.

Wayfair you can return, but you would have to pay for shipping it back unless it arrives damaged or with some defect.

I don't think it's risky ordering from Wayfair, but to understand what you're getting, you need to carefully read all the product information and specifications. Compare them to sectionals from other places in your price range. Don't pay too much attention to the exact style, just get a feel of how roughly similar models (dimensions are important) compare on things like materials, item weight, and weight capacity.

I love what you posted and it looks like a reasonable price for what you're getting. Note that it's made of manufactured wood, the legs are plastic, and that the seat cushions are firm and made with coils and foam. I wouldn't get it simply because I would not want coiled cushions. But these are the reasons it's cheaper. It doesn't mean it will be a terrible product that will fall apart quickly, it just won't hold up as well as items made from better materials.

You might also notice, when comparing, that even some of the more expensive items are made with the same materials. That's how you know an item is not worth it. If ordering from living quarters, insist on seeing all the item specs before committing. Specs are the best way to know what you're getting in terms of quality when ordering sight unseen.

Also, this one doesn't have a maximum weight capacity. Definitely see if you can find out through Wayfair or the manufacturer.

That is pretty much the antithesis of what to look for in a good quality - even medium quality sofa

Frame should be kiln dried hardware and not MDF
Construction should ideally be hand tied but sinuous springs are also acceptable at medium quality level. Coils should be avoided -

Drop-in coils install as a single self-contained grid of springs, and they tend to squeak due to the metal-on-metal configuration. Pocket coils, which look identical to those that go into innerspring mattresses, can deform over time because they don’t distribute weight as evenly, leaving an indentation in the seat.

Legs should be wood or metal and not plastic

Most well made furniture would be warranted for more than 30 days although even furniture that falls apart in a year would be unacceptable.

Returning furniture - even from amazon is not easy and generally not free unless it is defective when you open it up. Amazon charges .75 cents per pound and you also have to figure out how to repack it and get it to a shipping company.

Last edited by Amarante on Fri, May 20 2022, 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total

nicole81

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 9:45 am
Amarante wrote:
That is pretty much the antithesis of what to look for in a good quality - even medium quality sofa

Frame should be kiln dried hardware and not MDF
Construction should ideally be hand tiled but sinuous springs are also acceptable at medium quality level. Coils should be avoided -

Drop-in coils install as a single self-contained grid of springs, and they tend to squeak due to the metal-on-metal configuration. Pocket coils, which look identical to those that go into innerspring mattresses, can deform over time because they don’t distribute weight as evenly, leaving an indentation in the seat.

Legs should be wood or metal and not plastic

Most well made furniture would be warranted for more than 30 days although even furniture that falls apart in a year would be unacceptable.

Returning furniture - even from amazon is not easy and generally not free unless it is defective when you open it up. Amazon charges .75 cents per pound and you also have to figure out how to repack it and get it to a shipping company.

Exactly, hence the price, which makes perfect sense for what it is. There's no need to worry whether you can trust something to last or not when you read the specs carefully and know your usage needs.

I've returned non defective furniture to Amazon for free. And one of their free return options is to bring your item to a UPS store and they package and ship it. I've brought them things with pieces hanging out of the box because I couldn't repack it all. Maybe this is one of the differences between prime and not What

Amarante

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 9:54 am
nicole81 wrote:
Exactly, hence the price, which makes perfect sense for what it is. There's no need to worry whether you can trust something to last or not when you read the specs carefully and know your usage needs.

I've returned non defective furniture to Amazon for free. And one of their free return options is to bring your item to a UPS store and they package and ship it. I've brought them things with pieces hanging out of the box because I couldn't repack it all. Maybe this is one of the differences between prime and not What

However $1600 is still a lot of money to spend for something that isn't going to last or even look good for a reasonable amount of time. It is penny wise and pound foolish.

If one is getting a sofa for a very formal living space where people aren't sitting on it, that might not matter but if the sofa is intended to be used frequently it is probably going to wear out quickly and look shabby soon.

I think one needs to also consider what their needs are and balance the factors.

Also I do think it unrealistic for many people to be able to arrange to ship a sofa back anywhere. If I had to get a sofa to the UPS store I would have to hire people with a truck to take it there - realistically. That is why even if theoretically one can return an item the reality is that it is logistically difficult to return items that one can't personally carry to one's car.

I had two experiences with large items that had to be returned - one was a hood for my cooktop because they sent the wrong size and the other was a chest which was defective on arrival. I would not have been able to physically take either item to be shipped back - I wouldn't even have been able to pack them up. Because the hood was the wrong size, the company paid for someone to pick it up from my home. With the chest the company wanted me to pack it up and send it back which would have been unrealistic for me to be able to do.

amother
Ebony

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 10:18 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks. Ive heard about Palliser in the frum stores, but none of their styles have a tufted back and/or have a trendy edge. Theyre more leaning towards traditional, the kind of styles I could have bought ten or more years ago.

That's not true.
I have a palliser tufted back with straight arms.
I bought it 4 years ago.

SDmother

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 10:28 am
Amarante wrote:
Pottery Barn is expensive for the actual quality. It is on par with Restoration Hardware, Crate & Barrel and the equivalent.

They do offer velvet fabrics in this style if you look at all the options.

The advantage of buying from a place like PB is that you can visit your local store and see stuff in person and also see in something that should be more or less equivalent.

If there are any issues you are dealing with a local place.

There are long lead times of course - probably at least three months if not more since their furniture is generally made when you order it.

Pottery barn is significantly better quality than anything on wayfair or Amazon. Not sure if the quality is commensurate with triple the price though.

Restoration hardware is even better quality but will be more than PB.

Other good quality is Bassett, ethan Allen, arhaus, Ballard designs, havertys

amother
Topaz

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 11:15 am
Lee industries, hickory chair, and century furniture are known quality furniture brands made in USA. Though you will pay for the quality.

Amarante

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 11:35 am
amother [ Topaz ] wrote:
Lee industries, hickory chair, and century furniture are known quality furniture brands made in USA. Though you will pay for the quality.

Yes indeed. These are brands that are intended to last a long time but they are expensive. Stickley also makes very high quality stuff

Baker is another high quality but the price is gaspingly expensive.

This are the type of furniture our parents bought which last years and years and was often reupholstered or slip covered. My grandmother had slip covers for the summer for her couch.

Pottery Barn and the equivalent mass market middle level brands aren’t of this quality.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 5:29 pm
Id definitely go up a notch or two in price, but PB doesnt really have this modern a look, and Baker is outrageously high priced, even if they do make sectionals that look like this.

I like tufted back sofas, and 95% of the tufted back sofas Im seeing have rolled arms and are more traditional looking Chesterfield styles.

Id happily go up to $4-5,000 for much better quality, but I want a modern tufted back sectional look.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 29 2022, 3:34 pm

Hi, Im just wondering if you came up with anything anywhere thats close to my picture.

Thanks.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 8:42 pm

I walked into Living Quarters in BP today. The saleswoman looked at the pic and said she has nothing on the floor that resembles this sofa at all and if shed order it for me Id be taking a chance and buying a sofa I havent sat on. Sounds like all her customers choose variations in size of color, of their floor stock, not what they cant see and sit on.

Amother Wallflower (or anyone else looking for this type of sectional sofa), have you had any luck looking for this kind of sectional?

tia

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 10:49 am
I walked into Living Quarters in BP. The saleswoman looked at the pic and said she has nothing on the floor that resembles this sofa at all and if shed order it for me Id be taking a chance and buying a sofa I havent sat on. Sounds like 99% of their customers choose variations in size of color, of their floor stock, not what they cant see and sit on.

Amother Wallflower (or anyone else looking for this type of sectional sofa), have you had any luck looking for this kind of sectional?

tia
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics