Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Soft and moist chicken on bone
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Lightgray

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 6:12 pm
I cook my chicken upside down so the meaty part sits in the sauce and doesn’t dry out and bone part sticks up. Comes out very soft and tasty. I cook at 350 for like 1 hr and another hour on 250

mochacoffee

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 6:19 pm
Surprised no one mentioned mayonnaise. Shmearing mayo on top of the chicken pieces makes them very moist. You can mix mayo and ketchup or add something on top of the mayo like french's fried onions or cornflake/bread crumbs. Bake covered 2 1/2 hours with some liquid in the pan.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 6:26 pm
mochacoffee wrote:
Surprised no one mentioned mayonnaise. Shmearing mayo on top of the chicken pieces makes them very moist. You can mix mayo and ketchup or add something on top of the mayo like french's fried onions or cornflake/bread crumbs. Bake covered 2 1/2 hours with some liquid in the pan.

Oddly, DH does not like mayo on his chicken... But thank you!

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 6:27 pm
amother [ Lightgray ] wrote:
I cook my chicken upside down so the meaty part sits in the sauce and doesn’t dry out and bone part sticks up. Comes out very soft and tasty. I cook at 350 for like 1 hr and another hour on 250

Is it easy to scoop out and serve? I would think more likely to fall apart

amother
Lightgray

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 6:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is it easy to scoop out and serve? I would think more likely to fall apart

Nope. I take out with a slotted spoon and turn over as I put on the plate

HeartyAppetite

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 7:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do you add any liquid? Like water to make sure it doesn't dry out?

Does anyone know?

I didn’t add any liquid it releases its own.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 10:12 pm
HeartyAppetite wrote:
I didn’t add any liquid it releases its own.

Awesome. Thanks!

etky

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 1:27 am
Amarante wrote:
Imamother neon purple has responded but I also find it difficult to believe that bone in chicken breasts aren't readily available.

If you don't see them, ask the butcher behind the counter because they are a basic item.

I think a LOT of the confusion on the other threads is because people are calling things by confusing names.

Of COURSE some people don't like dark meat chicken as it has a different taste and texture from white meat chicken.

But not all bone in chicken is dark meat.

I am not a huge fan of chicken bottoms because they are kind of greasy and often the texture isn't that good. And NO - it isn't because I am not cooking them well but just because it is a different part of the animal. It is like not recognizing that different parts of a cow have different tastes and textures. A ribeye steak does not have the same texture as a flank steak nor do they taste the same.

Another very important difference is the oven program that people are using to bake/roast their chicken.
I usually roast my cut up chickens at 350 for about an hour covered and then another 20-30 minutes (depending on the size of the pieces and how crowded the pan is) uncovered. Total maximum time 1.5 hours. It's more than enough. Chicken is very tender and skin is nicely browned. This is on the convection setting with the fan.
If I make the same exact recipe but use conventional heat then after an hour in the oven with the pan covered the chicken would be just beginning to cook. With convection it's almost done (but not yet tender) at the point when I uncover it.
Covering with foil when using conventional heat really slows the cooking process but does not have the same effect when you use the convection setting.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics