Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Yoshe

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 8:20 pm
Wear does the name come from and what does it mean?

amother
Orange

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 8:45 pm
Yashi?

I know a Yashi whose real name is Yosef Shlomo

tigerwife

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 8:53 pm
Yoshiyahu?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 9:02 pm
Maybe Yehoshua?

Yoshe Ber is a nickname for Yosef Dov.

#BestBubby

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 9:10 pm
I know a Yoshie - nickname for Yehoshua.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 9:36 pm
Like R Yoshi Ber Solovechik. What is the origin of the name?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 9:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Like R Yoshi Ber Solovechik. What is the origin of the name?

As posted above, Yosef Dov.

amother
Hunter

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 12:31 am
Are you thinking of naming your child that? It makes me think of Yoshke

amother
Fern

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 12:38 am
Why do people always have to share the negative connotations they have with names on these name threads? I'm sure there's a reason the op asks about whatever the name is. She probably didn't pick it out of a hat and decide to find out the origins... If you have real info to share, share it. If you have nothing nice to say, don't say it!

The question about the name Sultana - everyone telling her it's the name of a raisin. It's her grandmother's name!

I actually was once searching for info on my daughter's name and found a thread on imamother (before I was a part of this) with people saying what a horrible name it is!

amother
Hyssop

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 12:58 am
Because if people are asking random people on the internet what they think of a name they obviously care what people think of the name. Therefore, it makes sense to alert them to other meanings/associations of the name that people will think of when meeting their child and hearing “hi, my name is x”

If you want to name your child something that will get them teases for life, go ahead. I think it’s nice to point out the potential for that that the op may not have seen.

amother
Fern

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 1:01 am
amother [ Hyssop ] wrote:
Because if people are asking random people on the internet what they think of a name they obviously care what people think of the name. Therefore, it makes sense to alert them to other meanings/associations of the name that people will think of when meeting their child and hearing “hi, my name is x”

If you want to name your child something that will get them teases for life, go ahead. I think it’s nice to point out the potential for that that the op may not have seen.

They're not always looking for opinions. Often they're looking for info about the origin, what it means...

amother
Fern

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 1:03 am
amother [ Hyssop ] wrote:

I guess it doesn't always sound like they're trying to be nice and point out the potential. Often it just sounds like - ew what a horrible name! or something like that

Debbie

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 2:28 am
amother [ Hunter ] wrote:

That's exactly what I was thinking!

amother
Poinsettia

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 6:22 am
From yosef

amother
Gardenia

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 6:28 am
amother [ Hunter ] wrote:

My cousin was from Hungary and his real name was Yosef. He was always called Yoshke. But when you hear Yoshe Ber, you do not think of that - you think of the Rav. But as posted upthread I think that was his nickneame.

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 6:48 am
amother [ Gardenia ] wrote:
My cousin was from Hungary and his real name was Yosef. He was always called Yoshke. But when you hear Yoshe Ber, you do not think of that - you think of the Rav. But as posted upthread I think that was his nickneame.

My grandmother also had a Hungarian cousin called yoshkee-batchu, or something like that. His name was also Yosef.
I spelled it the way it was pronounced, to show the difference between that and Yushkah. I’ve heard R’ soloveitzik’s name pronounced yooshah, also different than yushkah.

amother
Brickred

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 7:03 am
As a person with TONS of Hungarian blood and proud of it the Hungarian names were definitely not typical and not used anymore

amother
Eggshell

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 8:10 am
Yoshe is not a name, it’s a nickname for Yosef. As others mentioned Rav Yoshe Ber Soloveitchik was named Yosef Dov.
If you had a relative with this name try to find a matzeiva, a ketuba, or if it’s not too long ago a person who was in shul with him who’d remember his name when he had an aliyah. If none of those are available and you want to name after the person, name the child Yosef.
If you just like the sound of the name I’d suggest you think of something that you like even better because this one might get your child teased.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names