Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Overwhelmed with idea of cooking milchigs
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

imaima

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 1:31 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We are having guests for Shavuos and there is an expectation all around to serve milchig meals. I have lots of fleishig recipes but not milchigs. I also do not have access to a milchig oven. I can make things on the stove or toaster oven. I need simple no fail recipes but even that is questionable if it will work for me. Something like making blintzes would not be possible, too hard to make, I tried once and they looked ridiculous. Any ideas? I also prefer to cook in advance and then reheat in sterno's on YT" but I can cook day of if I have to.

Just make fleishigs. Where does the expectation come from? There is an inyan to eat meat for yomtov. Dairy is a nice tradition.

dankbar

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 2:02 am
Many people do just a milchig kiddush with dairy baked goods & coffee and then later do a fleishig meal.
That is easier as you can buy little cake & done.

salt

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 3:10 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We are having guests for Shavuos and there is an expectation all around to serve milchig meals. I have lots of fleishig recipes but not milchigs. I also do not have access to a milchig oven. I can make things on the stove or toaster oven. I need simple no fail recipes but even that is questionable if it will work for me. Something like making blintzes would not be possible, too hard to make, I tried once and they looked ridiculous. Any ideas? I also prefer to cook in advance and then reheat in sterno's on YT" but I can cook day of if I have to.

Who is this expectation coming from?
If you didn't have guests, would you make fleishigs?
If so, do what we do:
We make kiddush and hamotzi, and then serve milchig starter - ice cream and cheese cake. Then clear the table, switch the table cloth, have a drink and eat some challa, and then continue with a usual felishig yom tov meal.

We often have guests. People who've never seen it done this way round before seem to love it. They get really excited. I just have to make sure my kids don't eat too much ice cream otherwise they won't eat their main course.

Then we usually serve fruit and nuts for dessert, since we've already had our sweet course at the beginning.

Heyaaa

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 3:44 am
I don’t know if it’s been said, but you can make most of your meal be bagels, lox, cheese spreads and butter, and fancy cheeses.

You can serve ice cream for dessert with a bunch of fun toppings. Or you can whip cream before shabbos, make a homemade ganache, make pancakes and serve with fresh fruit.

You can serve tuna Patties and tuna casserole. Not everyone likes tuna but they don’t have to eat.

You can make a cheddar sauce and serve it over steamed veggies and fries.

You can bread fish and fry it like you fry Shnitzel, serve with a Greek yogurt tartar sauce.

Then a dairy salad with feta or halloumi and call it a day.

Also I forget the name for it but tortilla chips with toppings (guac, chopped tomato, onions, sour cream, refried beans, salsa). If all the food is hot (I’m guessing you have a hot plate or something) then you can sprinkle cheese on top and it will kind of start melting.

Sesame

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 4:12 am
I don’t understand why you can’t just serve fleishig if that’s better for you?

Sesame

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 4:33 am
salt wrote:
Who is this expectation coming from?
If you didn't have guests, would you make fleishigs?
If so, do what we do:
We make kiddush and hamotzi, and then serve milchig starter - ice cream and cheese cake. Then clear the table, switch the table cloth, have a drink and eat some challa, and then continue with a usual felishig yom tov meal.

We often have guests. People who've never seen it done this way round before seem to love it. They get really excited. I just have to make sure my kids don't eat too much ice cream otherwise they won't eat their main course.

Then we usually serve fruit and nuts for dessert, since we've already had our sweet course at the beginning.

Always understood you can’t have fleishig and milchig in the same meal. Maybe better for op to check with lor before doing this.

amother
Lightblue

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 4:50 am
Have you tried making baked ziti or mac and cheese in two smaller pans in your toaster oven? That’s what I do and it comes out great

Raisin

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 6:07 am
I grew up with a milchig kiddush and than meat meal, (we waited an hour) but I prefer to have a fully milchig meal.

Easy menu:

garlic challa knots (make pareve, than make a garlic butter to go with it)

cheese board

Penne a la vodka
salmon or other fish of your choice
salad with cheese topping
other sides but my mind is blanking. I usually do quiche, mac and cheese, lasagna, a dairy soup, but spread over 2 meals. We eat meat at night.

Cheesecake
buy blintzes or if you can buy ready made crepes, make your own cheese filling and do a crepe bar. (buy choc spread, fruit etc)
Eton mess is a favourite around here if you can buy ready made meringues. (strawberries, meringues and whipped dairy cream mixed up)

Iymnok

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 6:13 am
We used to wash in one challah , have blintzes and salad with cheese, and coffee or hot chocolate. Then remove the tablecloth and serve a regular fleishig meal and use the second challah (that had been warming in the Blech).

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 6:58 am
I grew up eating only dairy on shavous. Before I got married I knew a family that did a dairy appetizer then switched to a meat meal. They explained that the reason was so that you needed to use 2 separate challahs to remember the shtay halechem that was brought on Shavuos. When I got married DH’s family ate only meat meals because it’s yom tov. I mentioned this option I had seen with both & dh had the same reaction as some here- we don’t eat milk & meat in the same meal. We had a dairy kiddush in the morning then had meat meals. Years later he learned through the sugya and came to me (totally forgetting I had suggested it) & asked if I would be willing to serve a dairy course first then serve meat. His main request was that the challah be dairy. It seems that this is the ideal scenario brought down in halacha: wash on dairy challah (I believe it says challah with butter, but I could be wrong), then remove the challah (we put out an extra plastic & remove that, too) wash the hands & mouth & bring out regular challah with a meat meal. We do this by the daytime meal. I usually make ravioli (which I prep in advance & cook fresh) and a sauce (my kids will eat plain ravioli, dh & I enjoy it with sauce-everyone is happy) and we make a small dairy challah.

dankbar

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 7:09 am
According to halacha you can't have dairy & meat in same meal, so you either make kiddush, have some dairy & later after waiting you wash & have your fleishig meal.
If you are saying that you want dairy challah then I think you should bentch first & then wash again for your fleishig meal.

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 7:26 am
dankbar wrote:
According to halacha you can't have dairy & meat in same meal, so you either make kiddush, have some dairy & later after waiting you wash & have your fleishig meal.
If you are saying that you want dairy challah then I think you should bentch first & then wash again for your fleishig meal.

This is a common misconception (that my dh shared when we got married, as I mentioned). DH is not home right now but I will try to ask him where he found the halacha about eating both at one meal (especially on shavous).

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 8:19 am
amother [ Midnight ] wrote:

He’s a pretty strict Rav. Insists on faucet filters and strainers on Pesach, no warming drawers on shabbos, etc.

He said nobody ever used to have two ovens this is a recent invention. He said it’s better to have two microwaves and one oven than the reverse.

There are diff reasons for each of these.
Faucet filters - bugs
Strainers - no clue. Never heard of it.
Warming drawers - putting food in and closing is returning food into oven

Milchig and meat one after another is a totally diff halacha. So it makes sense rabbanim passkin diff
Like food with steam that is milchig immediately before meat is commonly not done. Some possum feel pizza, blintzes, or pasta give off steam. Others will say only steam if liquid. Many will say if no steam fine. . Doesn’t mean it’s assur. There is a tremendous range of opinions.

It depends how the halacha is understood. Not how strict the rav is.

amother
Bergamot

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 9:38 am
Lasagne (with spinach if you want a vegetable), salmon, Greek salad, side vegetable, cheese cake and/or ice cream, store bought blintzes.

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 10:57 am
DH came home. Here is the source (I did not look at it, just asked dh to write it down, this is what he gave me):
Shulchan Orach, Orach Chaim 494, Magen Avraham 8 & Mishna Berura 15

jewishmom6

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 11:03 am
amf wrote:
The Dinner Done cookbook has a bunch of easy dairy ideas. There's a really good one-pot fettuccine Alfredo you can do (no straining, basically put everything in the pot and let it cook, it comes out yum!), cauliflower poutine as a side, a simple salad with feta or parmesan, and cheesecake for dessert. Appetizer can be ambrosia, fruit salad, or fish (Kani salad is easy, or a salmon dish)

such a good idea.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 11:05 am
No time to read the whole thread. I can't tell you want to do but it is a complicated yom tov. Even with a milchig oven there's not time motzei Shabbos to heat most stuff.
Hatzlacha figuring this out and if I have time I'll look this over. (For myself, too.)

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 11:09 am
amf wrote:
The Dinner Done cookbook has a bunch of easy dairy ideas. There's a really good one-pot fettuccine Alfredo you can do (no straining, basically put everything in the pot and let it cook, it comes out yum!), cauliflower poutine as a side, a simple salad with feta or parmesan, and cheesecake for dessert. Appetizer can be ambrosia, fruit salad, or fish (Kani salad is easy, or a salmon dish)

Could you post the fettuccine Alfredo recipe, please? Sounds like something we would like.

ttbtbm

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 11:11 am
ra_mom wrote:
I usually make penne a la vodka or fettuccine alfredo, cream of (insert vegetable) soup, Greek or Caesar salad. Then add a fish (salmon or tuna steaks) and a vegetable. Bought blintzes to start the meal with. Cheese cake to end the meal with (would you like a no bake recipe?).

For the pasta I cook it parve before YT, rinse with cold water and drain. Then toss with some olive oil, place in a large ziploc bag, squeeze out air and zip closed. Refrigerate.

Then all you have to do is pour an urn of boiling water over a collander in the sink of cooked pasta to refresh and heat it. And mix and heat the sauce fresh on the plata, then pour over the hot pasta.

For the soup, I make it parve and add the dairy once it's heated through.

Salad is simple to assemble.

How many dairy meals do you expect to serve?

Would you mind sharing your fettuccini Alfredo recipe?

amf

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 11:18 am
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
Could you post the fettuccine Alfredo recipe, please? Sounds like something we would like.

Saute a couple cloves of crushed garlic in butter for a minute (I skip sometimes and just do garlic powder. When I want to be fancy I add in a can of mushrooms or sliced fresh mushrooms and saute a little longer) Add 3 cups water, 3 cups milk (whole milk is a creamier end product but 1% works fine too) and 1 box fettuccine cracked in half. Salt to taste. Raise heat, bring to a boil then return to medium and simmer for 20 minutes or so, stirring often. Top with grated parmesan
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics