Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Does Shoprite Howell Carry Kosher Salmon?

yiddishmom

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 6:25 am
Subject says it all.

Thank you!

groovy1224

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 6:29 am
Ask your LOR, but AFAIK most people hold salmon doesn't need a hechsher, you can buy it anywhere.

amother
Jasmine

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 6:37 am
They don't have the "Kosher Experience" like the Lakewood location used to have. Best salmon ever, at best prices!
Could be they have other kosher salmon, I don't know.

yiddishmom

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 6:42 am
groovy1224 wrote:
Ask your LOR, but AFAIK most people hold salmon doesn't need a hechsher, you can buy it anywhere.

That's true if you buy whole salmon. But for fillet, or any type of cut, I believe it does need a hechsher. To assure that the facility/ knife used was kosher....

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 6:44 am
yiddishmom wrote:
That's true if you buy whole salmon. But for fillet, or any type of cut, I believe it does need a hechsher. To assure that the facility/ knife used was kosher....

Not according to the crc . Any salmon is fine

yiddishmom

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 6:46 am
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:

Oh ye? I'll ask my rav. Thanks!

amother
Chestnut

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 6:46 am
They do with a hechsher in a refrigerated section we th kosher items. Occasionally not in stock. It’s a strip that you have to slice into individual portions yourself. Cheaper than the Jewish stores. It’s been 9-11 a lb. recently. You can also buy from the non kosher fish department with scales on and wash and scrub gently before using.

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 7:53 am
yiddishmom wrote:

Having worked under major hashgacha, even cut salmon can be bought. If it’s cut you just do shifshuf

amother
Nasturtium

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 10:18 am
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:

Even if they slice it with the same knife they use for us kosher fish??

voiceofreason

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 10:25 am
Salmon is the only fish that can be purchased without skin, because we rely on the fact that all orange fish are kosher. Other fish can also be purchased from non-kosher fish counters, but you must see the skin to see scales. (All fish with scales automatically have fins, so scales = kosher.)

Just need to wash well.

amother
Lightblue

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 11:18 am
what if it was cut with a knife that just cut not kosher fish. I thought thats the reason for a hashgacha.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 11:46 am
cinderella22 wrote:
Salmon is the only fish that can be purchased without skin, because we rely on the fact that all orange fish are kosher. Other fish can also be purchased from non-kosher fish counters, but you must see the skin to see scales. (All fish with scales automatically have fins, so scales = kosher.)

Just need to wash well.

I was told it’s not so simple.

My rav told me not to buy the Costco frozen oU salmon bec they skin it on the boat and he holds it’s problematic. They rely on leniencies to do this.

Every person should call their own LOR.

amother
Pansy

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 11:48 am
For the record not everyone holds that you can eat fish that was cut and not everyone holds that you can just buy salmon. There are different opinions.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries