Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
SLP salary and raises
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Hosta

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 11:21 am
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
If you don't know what I am talking about, then consider yourself blessed.

I was 18, young and dumb, and my parents desperately wanted me to get a master's degree. I often asked about other fields, like accounting (I'm great with math and numbers) but was told, nope you don't want to work in an office! You only want a school based job! You're gonna be great at speech! It's such a good fit for you!

I was a good compliant girl, so I believed them and I started speech school. I honestly had no idea what speech therapist do, except that they take kids out of class and maybe work on a lisp or stutter.
As I progressed through my schooling, I learned more and more about it obviously, but at that point there was no turning back. My parents would have been devastated if I dropped out. And I didn't want to drop out either, because I wasn't working yet. Being in school is very different than work. I did well in school, and never realized what the real job reality is.

I think speech (and all therapies) is the right field for the right person. The girls need to understand what the differences between public school and agencies are BEFORE they start school, so they can name an informed decision. They need to understand what working in a nursing home means. They will be feeding patients, cleaning mouths with q tips, dealing with traches/vents. Can they handle that? Personally, I pass out just standing in the lobby of a nursing home. I cannot take the sights and smells.
Working in a hospital means dealing with patients immediately post stroke, with Alzheimer's patients. That is very stressful. Do they have the emotional and mental strength to do that? It isn't easy

Some of us do work in a hospital or ECF. What do you think the hourly pay/annual salary is there?
Yes, we have benefits and PTO.

I think you all have your heads in the clouds and are expecting something for nothing. Look at reimbursement rate. Look at expenses.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 11:32 am
amother [ Hosta ] wrote:
Some of us do work in a hospital or ECF. What do you think the hourly pay/annual salary is there?
Yes, we have benefits and PTO.

I think you all have your heads in the clouds and are expecting something for nothing. Look at reimbursement rate. Look at expenses.

Re accounting yes some accountants do really well. Mostly those who are able to give their life to a public accounting firm for a few years. The women I know who are accountants work for small firms or businesses who are able to accommodate less than ft hours or remote work. They are not making a killing. 60k? The ones who are making 150k are working long grueling hours. If they are in taxes than pesach is a nightmare.

amother
Jean

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 11:49 am

I was 18, young and dumb, and my parents desperately wanted me to get a master's degree. I often asked about other fields, like accounting (I'm great with math and numbers) but was told, nope you don't want to work in an office! You only want a school based job! You're gonna be great at speech! It's such a good fit for you!

I was a good compliant girl, so I believed them and I started speech school. I honestly had no idea what speech therapist do, except that they take kids out of class and maybe work on a lisp or stutter.
As I progressed through my schooling, I learned more and more about it obviously, but at that point there was no turning back. My parents would have been devastated if I dropped out. And I didn't want to drop out either, because I wasn't working yet. Being in school is very different than work. I did well in school, and never realized what the real job reality is.

I think speech (and all therapies) is the right field for the right person. The girls need to understand what the differences between public school and agencies are BEFORE they start school, so they can name an informed decision. They need to understand what working in a nursing home means. They will be feeding patients, cleaning mouths with q tips, dealing with traches/vents. Can they handle that? Personally, I pass out just standing in the lobby of a nursing home. I cannot take the sights and smells.
Working in a hospital means dealing with patients immediately post stroke, with Alzheimer's patients. That is very stressful. Do they have the emotional and mental strength to do that? It isn't easy

Your parents pushing you (and whoever else blindly encouraged it) are at fault here somewhat I suppose. But it is your life. And you could do something about it if you wanted. Yeah, it's hard. But so is working in a position that you abhor.

Personally, I shadowed several therapists in different settings before making my final decision. I was a people pleaser, good compliant girl and good at school too so the academic work was no big deal to me but the money is huge. College degrees are $$$$$. I wasn't going to waste time and money on something I wasn't sure about. It was a huge decision. Similar to deciding who to marry- its a very long term thing. Possibly forever. And very hard to change course.

honey36

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 12:14 pm
Just want to be another voice of dissent here. I'm a SLP and very happy and would definitely encourage my daughters to go into the field if they are interested in it. To be fair, I'm OOT and the agencies here pay significantly more. I did my undergrad at Maalot which was good since the teachers all made it very clear that being an SLP is not a huge money making career, but a good side income for a Frum mother whose main focus is her family. I totally agree with that and it is the main reason I love the field.

Only advice I can give ppl who are strapped for cash- can you find a summer job at least? Take on a few private clients in the evenings? You can try teletherapy. Niche down to up your income...

amother
Winterberry

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 5:21 am
honey36 wrote:
Just want to be another voice of dissent here. I'm a SLP and very happy and would definitely encourage my daughters to go into the field if they are interested in it. To be fair, I'm OOT and the agencies here pay significantly more. I did my undergrad at Maalot which was good since the teachers all made it very clear that being an SLP is not a huge money making career, but a good side income for a Frum mother whose main focus is her family. I totally agree with that and it is the main reason I love the field.

Only advice I can give ppl who are strapped for cash- can you find a summer job at least? Take on a few private clients in the evenings? You can try teletherapy. Niche down to up your income...

I'm the SLP earlier who wrote that I live OOT and make under $40 an hour. I'm curious how much your OOT agencies pay Bec here it's significantly less than in NYC, not more.

I was also pushed into this field by my mother. She did a ton of research when I was still in early high school and decided this was the best career for me. I really wanted to do a different, more medically based field, but she looked into that too and nixed it. She was the one paying my college tuition and fully supporting me through college so I didn't really have a say. That being said, I dont regret it. My initial field choice would have been a lot more lucrative but a much poorer work life balance for a frum mother of a young family. As dissatisfied as I am with certain aspects of being an SLP I truly cant think of a field that would have been much better for me particularly. I wouldnt discourage my daughters from becoming SLPs necessarily.
I'm curious if women who became OTs and PTs feel similar to us SLPs or are they overall happier?

To the posters who said get summer jobs - I certainly do. I work every summer. Not always in speech though bec there is often not enough clients in the summer, many children don't get summer services. I often work in a camp based setting.

To the poster who said do something more administrative like case management or teaching. I would love to!! Case manager/supervisor jobs are very hard to come by. I'm hoping to be promoted to that one day but meanwhile I'm competing against about 50 other therapists who all want to be promoted to that same one position.
Teaching speech is a small side income and not easy to get hired without experience in teaching (how am I supposed to get that experience??)

And regarding taking private clients or doing teletherapy. Private clients means you have to start accepting insurance, which is a whole nother road to travel and not worth it for a handful of clients. If you dont take insurance, good luck finding a self paying client - I'd love a few.
And teletherapy pays even worse than in person, so there is that...

(If someone has real concrete advice regarding landing any of the above jobs - case manager, private clients, college professor, teletherapy clients that pay well, I would LOVE some advice, as those are all angles I'd love to pursue but seem either out of reach or not worthwhile.)

amother
NeonPink

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 7:25 am
amother [ Nasturtium ] wrote:
The ones who are making 150k are working long grueling hours.

This is the bottom line for pretty much any salaried jobs that make $150k or upwards. It's a trade off.

Even in a public school, you'd technically be on duty around 35 hours a week, not 40. (Leaving the issue of taking work home aside.) Ask anyone who works regular 40-50 hour weeks what they think that's worth, especially a working mother.

And I know lots of SLPs who work part time in public schools, usually 2 or 3 days a week. It's really nice to have the option to work part time and make at least a decent salary with excellent benefits.

amother
Chambray

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 7:57 am
honey36 wrote:

I agree although only bec my DH makes the bulk of our income. I do EI in NJ. I make around 72 a session. I can reschedule hours to work around my schedule. I work very few hours a week (like 15) and make around 3000 a month.
The part where I agree with the rest of the SLPs is that it's really hard to work full time. Let's say I want to work 9-5. I need to include travel In that time I give myself around 15 min between clients for travel. So TOPS I can see would be 6 clients a day. I've spoken to a lot of people in the EI field. Most do 4 or 5 a day. It's really exhausting. You need to be on your game. Were talking 2 year old. But let's say theoretically I'm a robot and see 6 clients a day and say 4 on friday that would be 96,000 a year. However since over yom tov everyone cancels (the clients themselves ) and 2 year olds get sick ALOT this figure is realistically closer to 80,000. Also kids age out and it takes time to get another case even if your on top of your game. Theres also tons of unpaid time at night billing, prepping, paperwork, speaking to parents.... in fact there was just a time study done in the EI world to see just how much unpaid time we work.
All in all IM NOT COMPLAINING! I LOVE MY JOB! All I'm saying is in the above scenario someone is working full full full time and is not even close to supporting a growing frum family.

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 2:56 pm
amother [ Chambray ] wrote:
I agree although only bec my DH makes the bulk of our income. I do EI in NJ. I make around 72 a session. I can reschedule hours to work around my schedule. I work very few hours a week (like 15) and make around 3000 a month.
The part where I agree with the rest of the SLPs is that it's really hard to work full time. Let's say I want to work 9-5. I need to include travel In that time I give myself around 15 min between clients for travel. So TOPS I can see would be 6 clients a day. I've spoken to a lot of people in the EI field. Most do 4 or 5 a day. It's really exhausting. You need to be on your game. Were talking 2 year old. But let's say theoretically I'm a robot and see 6 clients a day and say 4 on friday that would be 96,000 a year. However since over yom tov everyone cancels (the clients themselves ) and 2 year olds get sick ALOT this figure is realistically closer to 80,000. Also kids age out and it takes time to get another case even if your on top of your game. Theres also tons of unpaid time at night billing, prepping, paperwork, speaking to parents.... in fact there was just a time study done in the EI world to see just how much unpaid time we work.
All in all IM NOT COMPLAINING! I LOVE MY JOB! All I'm saying is in the above scenario someone is working full full full time and is not even close to supporting a growing frum family.

I don’t know anyone who markets SLP as a job that can support of family. It’s either for a two income family or for a kollel couple who’s parents support.

Jobs that fully support frum families require either much more work, Mazal or both.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sat, May 21 2022, 11:34 pm
YVY pays the lowest rate from all the local agencies. Try switching

amother
Celeste

Post Sat, May 21 2022, 11:43 pm

I'm an accountant and I just want to say that nope, you don't want to be an accountant, not if you're planning on having a lot of children iyh. The hours are not really compatible with being a mother of a family, and the starting salary isn't that high either. And not everyone makes it all the way to the top.

To be honest, I don't think the job exists where you can be making over 150k and still be a hands on mother to a large family. Masters or no.

Babyblue2

Post Sun, May 22 2022, 12:05 am
I am in a Facebook group called telepractice for slps where the low pay is a common topic of conversation. The best way to increase your salary is to contract with districts directly in order to cut out the middleman, aka the agencies who take about 40% of your hourly rate from the district. I haven’t done this myself (yet) but it’s something I will definitely keep in mind for the future. There are courses and workshops that explain all of the steps involved from finding districts to writing up a contract to how much to charge to dealing with reimbursement. I think this is definitely worthwhile if you want to remain a school based slp.

amother
Winterberry

Post Sun, May 22 2022, 11:09 am
Babyblue2 wrote:
I am in a Facebook group called telepractice for slps where the low pay is a common topic of conversation. The best way to increase your salary is to contract with districts directly in order to cut out the middleman, aka the agencies who take about 40% of your hourly rate from the district. I haven’t done this myself (yet) but it’s something I will definitely keep in mind for the future. There are courses and workshops that explain all of the steps involved from finding districts to writing up a contract to how much to charge to dealing with reimbursement. I think this is definitely worthwhile if you want to remain a school based slp.

I am in that group too and am tempted to take one of those courses and go private with a district. My hesitation is that there courses all sound very advertisey. I wish I knew someone who actually took the course and was successful.

gonewiththewind

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 1:55 pm
amother [ Cognac ] wrote:
I am an agency ‘owner’ in Lakewood, NJ, and am sorry if you ‘detest’ me. You have no idea how little money I make for living and breathing my work. Insurance companies often pay less than the private pay rate, require a lot of paperwork that I need a secretary for, and oftentimes deny payment. I pay my therapists $70-$75 per hour, based on experience, and am probably going up to $80 next year because of inflation. I also pay a certain amount for clients who don’t show (ie I take the loss instead of the therapist). After paying their hourly rate plus tax, I make about $30 per hour. And out of that comes all the expenses of running a business. So yeah…you can do the math. I’m sorry if your job doesn’t pay well and doesn’t give raises. Maybe you want to run the agency instead. But I don’t think wanting to make a living wage after working so hard is really ‘greedy’. It’s always easy to count someone else’s money….

Agency "owners" such as yourself who are billing insurance/jersey care are not taking advantage of people. There are agencies, such as the one I once worked for that contracted with schools, got paid by the school, so there were no billing and no shows issues, and still took a large percentage of pay. There are large agencies in Lakewood who have contracts with schools, but pay the therapists poorly. About 9 years ago I spoke with such an agency, and found out that if I worked a full school day I would not make $40,000 a year. That's wrong. Just curious, when you say that you make $30 per hour after the hourly rate plus tax, is that per therapist after expenses? So that if you have 10 therapists are you making $300 per hour?

gonewiththewind

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 2:04 pm
I haven't posted here in years! I am working as an SLP for a special needs school district, and I was doing research to see what is going on with SLPs in the frum schools these days, and I came across this thread. I am considering moving to a frum place, even if I have to make less, but not if I have to work for an agency. Next year will be my seventh year here. I started at $58,000 and will be at $80,000 for the coming year. The next year would go up around another 5,000. This is for the RSY, if you want to work ESY that is paid separately. It is based on your hourly rate, which for me is between $10-11,000. They hired 2 new SLPs and I tried really hard to get a frum person to interview here, but got no takers. It is around 45 minutes from Lakewood. The people are nice, but it is lonely being the only frum person. Please post if this sounds like a good place for you as I think they will be hiring again soon!!

amother
NeonPurple

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 2:16 pm
I’m a members of several FB groups that address this. We are starting to require the agencies tell us what they are offering before wasting our time with an interview if the pay is poor.

The agencies (particularly the teletherapy agencies) are able to rip us off, because WE KEEP ACCEPTING LOW-PAYING JOBS. Although, the biggest issue is that the state hasn’t approved a raise for SLP sessions for about 30 years.

demand more.

amother
Cognac

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 3:11 pm
I make about $30 per hour per therapist but have nowhere near 10 full time therapists
BY
BTW, if someone made $300 per hour, that’s great, but how many hours per week do you think that is? It all boils down to how many clients there are, how many don’t show, all the Yom in tovim and vacation days, the whole summer that is empty, etc.
And out of that comes the secretary salary and lots of other expenses
When I say working full time, I mean working FULL TIME
If you want to do that, go for it
If I have a choice or a different way to support my family, I would stop this.
BUT you do have the choice to do this and make more than $60 or so an hour

gonewiththewind

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 3:45 pm
amother [ Cognac ] wrote:
I make about $30 per hour per therapist but have nowhere near 10 full time therapists
BY
BTW, if someone made $300 per hour, that’s great, but how many hours per week do you think that is? It all boils down to how many clients there are, how many don’t show, all the Yom in tovim and vacation days, the whole summer that is empty, etc.
And out of that comes the secretary salary and lots of other expenses
When I say working full time, I mean working FULL TIME
If you want to do that, go for it
If I have a choice or a different way to support my family, I would stop this.
BUT you do have the choice to do this and make more than $60 or so an hour

No I don’t want to do it.. I don’t think you are doing anything wrong or talking advantage of anyone, not that you need to care what I think. I hope you have Hatzlocha. The big agencies who have way more than 10 therapists who are working full days and are paying them less than you do are the ones taking advantage.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics