Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
This Elephant might be a PERSON!!

Marathon

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 11:36 am
Whats this world coming to?
https://www.washingtonpost.com.....rson/

tichellady

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 11:40 am
It’s more complicated that the headline makes it sound. The New Yorker had a great article about it. Halacha does care about the suffering of animals

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 11:57 am
The terminology is problematic. But the depressed elephants in our local zoo were removed.

yiddishmom

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 12:06 pm
It happens to be that I feel bad for animals in the zoo, and I'm not so sure that it's always ok per the Torah.

But, this is absurd. I'll take a wild guess that the people who are advocating for this, are also advocating for abortion. (If I can't write this here, because it borders politics, then I'll remove the comment.)

I'm totally not surprised though. This is where the world is headed too.

And as the world devolves into all this craziness, I am starting to understand the greatness and appreciate that I have the Torah as my guidance way way way more.

It's teaching me ahavas hatorah like no teacher in school or seminary was able to.

Marathon

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 12:24 pm
I think its ridiculous
Before the mabul they used to confuse animals with people and they used to marry animals. Is thats whats happening here?

iyar

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 12:39 pm
That's the beauty of being a Jew and having the Torah.
Secular legal systems learned a lot from us but they were absent for this class.
The Torah distinguishes between humans and animals. An elephant does not have the status of a person.
The Torah forbids tzaar baalei chayim, causing pain or suffering to an animal. We can't hurt the elephant. There are specific laws on feeding domisticated animals and on how to treat non domesticated animals. Laws are different regarding different living creatures, mammals and birds, fish and shratzim (which are insects but also include some smaller mammals).
This isn't a question of what is the world coming to. The world outside of Torah has always been lacking. Today's problems are different than the ones humanity faced one or two thousand years ago but secular systems of government and courts were always lacking, not to mention the societies that had no system of judges and courts at all. Personally I'll take a society that considers an elephant a person over one that thinks it's all right to eat a person, but that's just my take on it.

gr82no

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 12:51 pm
Will the elephant sign up for unemployment? Pay taxes? Drive a car?
This world is becoming crazy

yiddishmom

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 12:53 pm
Marathon wrote:
I think its ridiculous
Before the mabul they used to confuse animals with people and they used to marry animals. Is thats whats happening here?

I definitely think we are in the same kind of Era as pre-mabul.

#BestBubby

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 1:35 pm
There is a Possuk in the Torah "They KISS calves, and murder people"

People who equate Animals to People have no problem committing mass murder, ch"v.

Just like it is "necessary" for the benefit of the group, to kill a flock of chickens or cows
(who are also "people"), it may be necessary to commit mass murder to
"save the planet from climate change."

Hitler Y"SH was an animal lover. Nazis started with banning Shechitah because of Animal Cruelty.

Scary how the same group that calls animals "people" deny that a 9 month unborn is a person.

Have no problem with Euthanasia.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 3:10 pm
Rambam and the cat and mouse.

tweety1

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 4:09 pm
Marathon wrote:
Whats this world coming to?
https://www.washingtonpost.com.....rson/

I can't open the article. It says I have to subscribe. Can somebody please post it?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics