Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Post surgery - need easy shavuos menu

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 22 2022, 8:36 am
I had surgery on my foot a couple weeks ago and can’t patchke now. My kids are happy with: franks and blanks, breaded chicken (on bone and cutlets), chicken soup and potato kugel.
My husband doesn’t consider this enough for yom tov and I agree - I’m just wiped thinking of cooking for 3 days
Anyone have easy like just mix something and leave in oven nicer ideas?

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 22 2022, 8:38 am
Spare ribs which is pre-cut. (Even if a roast is easy to bake, it's hard to slice).

Minute steak.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 22 2022, 8:42 am
ra_mom wrote:
Spare ribs which is pre-cut. (Even if a roast is easy to bake, it's hard to slice).

Minute steak.

Thank you! Both great ideas, do you have a recipe for either?
Also any ideas for nicer chicken?

amother
Nemesia

Post Sun, May 22 2022, 8:44 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I had surgery on my foot a couple weeks ago and can’t patchke now. My kids are happy with: franks and blanks, breaded chicken (on bone and cutlets), chicken soup and potato kugel.
My husband doesn’t consider this enough for yom tov and I agree - I’m just wiped thinking of cooking for 3 days
Anyone have easy like just mix something and leave in oven nicer ideas?

Those sound delicious for me! Add some (store-bought or mix) cookies and cake, and ice cream and cheesecake, and I'd be very happy.

What kind of food does DH like? I would just add the things that make him feel Yom Tov'dik.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 22 2022, 8:47 am
amother [ Nemesia ] wrote:
Those sound delicious for me! Add some (store-bought or mix) cookies and cake, and ice cream and cheesecake, and I'd be very happy.

What kind of food does DH like? I would just add the things that make him feel Yom Tov'dik.

He likes a good meat, nicer dessert (which I can buy) and different side dishes

amother
Nemesia

Post Sun, May 22 2022, 8:55 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He likes a good meat, nicer dessert (which I can buy) and different side dishes

Jasmine rice is very easy to make in the oven. If you put in enough salt and oil, it's delicious!

You can make a very nice apple crumble/apple pie using canned pie filling.

I make sugar snap peas by putting them on a tray, and drizzling them with honey, olive oil, and salt. Roast for 15 minutes. They disappear very quickly!

Baby potatoes are also delicious and not very difficult to make.

Would any of those make DH happy as far as side dishes go?

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 22 2022, 8:59 am
amother [ Nemesia ] wrote:
Jasmine rice is very easy to make in the oven. If you put in enough salt and oil, it's delicious!

You can make a very nice apple crumble/apple pie using canned pie filling.

I make sugar snap peas by putting them on a tray, and drizzling them with honey, olive oil, and salt. Roast for 15 minutes. They disappear very quickly!

Baby potatoes are also delicious and not very difficult to make.

Would any of those make DH happy as far as side dishes go?

Yes, thanks! I make them as sides for supper many times but it’s too bad I have to make easy this year

jewishmommy1

Post Sun, May 22 2022, 9:33 am
Dinner Done has a delicious and easy honey garlic chicken which I've used for Yom tov. Also some easy string bean sides.

chmom

Post Sun, May 22 2022, 9:39 am
Well, he can make the extra Yomtov dishes then. You had surgery, what does he expect?

lamplighter

Post Sun, May 22 2022, 10:04 am
Anything in the oven is ideal.
Meat is easy, ask him to slice if though.
Rice with diced veggies baked in the oven.
Baby potatoes roasted in the oven.
Pumpkin pie is also super easy.
Sesame noodles.
Pulled beef also just dump on crockpot with BBQ sauce then pull it and serve it on a platter with gnocchi or baked on top of prebaked pizza crusts or baked in puff pastry.
Is this any help?

amother
Trillium

Post Sun, May 22 2022, 10:16 am
chmom wrote:
Well, he can make the extra Yomtov dishes then. You had surgery, what does he expect?

This. I’m Sorry Op. feel empowered to politely tell your husband the extras are on him this year. He can make them or buy them

Raisin

Post Sun, May 22 2022, 10:27 am
roasts can be sliced at the table. It won't slice as nicely when hot, but will still be good.

Super easy roast I do with minute - buy roasting bag, slice a bunch of onions, throw meat in bag with onions, red wine, salt, pepper, you can add other spices or seasoning to taste. Cook on 300 f for about 3-4 hours.

amother
Tealblue

Post Sun, May 22 2022, 10:32 am
I believe if you throw in a nice roast, he'll be happy. Let him know you will need him to slice it. Get a couple bags of the multicolored baby potatoes, throw in a ziploc with olive oil, salt, pepper, paprika and parsley and then dump in a pan to roast, and serve alongside it.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, May 22 2022, 10:49 am
Mix together olive oil, frozen garlic cubes, and Montreal steak seasoning. Rub into French roast, bake uncovered at 450 for 1.5 hours/depending on size maybe a bit more or less. I leave my oven on over yt so I just warm it up uncovered for a while and serve it on wood board with knife so gets cut at the table. Less work for me. Gets rave reviews every time!

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, May 22 2022, 10:53 am
Another easy one, if you leave crockpot on for shabbos, right after shabbos, slice onions and put on bottom of crockpot with oil. Before you go to sleep, season a flanken roast or brisket with salt and pepper. Put into crockpot. Delicious roast for the next day's meal.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, May 22 2022, 11:39 am
Dh is pretty useless in the kitchen. We all have our talents and this isn't one of his. When I had to be off my feet before a yom tov I sat in the kitchen one night and coached him through making a few things. This might work for you op.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Sun, May 22 2022, 11:55 am
Will you eat dairy meals for any of the YT meals? If so, some easy meals are grilled cheese & tomato soup, mac & cheese, quesadillas and/or taco bar. I seriously serve these when I have guests & they love it!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics