Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
What should my 14-year-old DS do this summer?

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 22 2022, 10:36 am
Live in Flatbush, Ds was in the oldest group in his Daycamp last summer. He doesn’t want to go to sleep away camp and not really the counselor type. Are there any Daycamp‘s that go a little older? Any ideas what can he do this summer?

nicole81

Post Sun, May 22 2022, 11:15 am
For future reference, he should apply to youth corps so he can get a job.

What is he interested in? Maybe he can find a part time job or internship?

I'm not against kids staying home at that age, but I recommend having him do something constructive during the time, like self paced through code.org curriculum, help design and run activities for any younger kids in the home, sign him up for online remediation or enrichment classes, enroll him in karate or some sort of lesson once or twice a week, if he doesn't already take public transportation, let him learn how to this summer and then he can go to museums and different NYC sites independently or with any friends staying home.

Other ideas: he can learn how to cook... Let him pick out dishes from online or cookbooks once or twice a week and get him the ingredients. It will help make shabbos easier! He can learn how to mow lawns and do so for pay. At 14, my stepson was volunteering with ohel in the summer for shabbatons and their mini camps, and now actually makes a decent amount working for them regularly in 11th grade. If your son would be interested, pm me and I'll find out the contact for Brooklyn boy hires. Teach him how to do his own laundry if he doesn't already.

Letting him make minyan 3x a day, doing something productive a few times a week, and letting him lounge around the rest of the time isn't the worst. But ideally he should end the summer with some new knowledge and skills.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 22 2022, 1:34 pm
I appreciate all the ideas but I’m looking more for some type of structured program/daycamp if there is anyone for anything for boys that age during the day in Brooklyn?

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Sun, May 22 2022, 1:42 pm
Chaim Day Camp may have a bunk for boys that age. You can also call Yedidim, Ohr Shraga, and Noam to ask.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 22 2022, 10:27 pm
Bump

happy12

Post Sun, May 22 2022, 11:46 pm
Camp yedidim has a 9th grade bunk.

amother
Maple

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 12:00 am
Simcha day camp
They have transportation to bklyn
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries