Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Anyone ever done Portage online learning for college?

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 22 2022, 6:14 pm
Curious if anyone has done this and what classes? What was your experience? Do many graduate programs take these credits? Is it easy to pass?
I know I can call colleges to see if they'll take these credits but want to hear if anyone has done it.
Thanks!

productivity

Post Sun, May 22 2022, 7:22 pm
I took several courses there.
Pros- self paced (need to wait 48 hours between exams but otherwise at your own pace), cheaper than most online college courses
Cons- exams can be tricky, are not open book, and are a mixture of multiple choice and free text so you have to wait until they are graded by your professor, professors can be very pedantic about grading (I’ve had to email them numerous times to justify my position and request points back when they were too zealous about deducting), cumulative final exams. In general the amount of material you need to memorize and retain is more than a typical online course- and I’ve taken online courses at numerous colleges and universities.

Good luck!

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 22 2022, 7:28 pm
product10 wrote:
I took several courses there.
Pros- self paced (need to wait 48 hours between exams but otherwise at your own pace), cheaper than most online college courses
Cons- exams can be tricky, are not open book, and are a mixture of multiple choice and free text so you have to wait until they are graded by your professor, professors can be very pedantic about grading (I’ve had to email them numerous times to justify my position and request points back when they were too zealous about deducting), cumulative final exams. In general the amount of material you need to memorize and retain is more than a typical online course- and I’ve taken online courses at numerous colleges and universities.

Good luck!

Thanks! This is really helpful!
You took courses with lab through them also? Did you get into a reputable college with these? How long do you have to finish each course if its self paced? Does it need to be completed by a certain time?

productivity

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 1:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks! This is really helpful!
You took courses with lab through them also? Did you get into a reputable college with these? How long do you have to finish each course if its self paced? Does it need to be completed by a certain time?

So sorry I just noticed this!!
I took Chemistry with lab (and other courses that did not have a lab component ). My college accepts their credits but definitely check with yours in advance - I know some do not. I believe you have a year to finish once you start the course but check their website.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics