Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Girls' sleep away camp, allergy friendly

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 22 2022, 1:40 pm
Trying to plan ahead. My BY daughter will be applying to camp in the future. She has a life-threatening allergy to a common food (only upon eating it). Any camps you have found that would work with us?

amother
Crystal

Post Sun, May 22 2022, 1:52 pm
What kind of food is it?

Odelyah

Post Sun, May 22 2022, 2:58 pm
Hi, a classmate of my daughter’s with serious allergies went to Kolos, I believe for this reason. But please do your own research as I don’t have first hand info. Hatzlacha!

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 22 2022, 11:01 pm
amother [ Crystal ] wrote:
What kind of food is it?

Milchig

amother
Magnolia

Post Sun, May 22 2022, 11:12 pm
I have a dairy allergy, in addition to a few other allergies. None that are life threatening, but reactions are no fun and can cause issues for days. I went to regular summer camps- was old enough to take care of my own food intake. It sometimes meant asking the waitress if specific dish contained dairy, and some other times it meant having more limited options. During the 9 days it was hard sometimes, and I did end up eating tuna sandwiches for dinner on occasion, but in general, if it's a non- airborne allergy, children old enough to go to sleep away camp can sort of figure out their food allergy situations, as they are used to having limited options at times, and sometimes needing to eat something less preferred, because they've been through that all their lives.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 22 2022, 11:16 pm
Thank you so much. In this case she wouldn't be able to ask if a dish has dairy since if it came from a dairy kitchen it could be contaminated with dairy and that would be a problem. She wouldn't be able to eat anything at a milchig meal, basically.

I guess she could have her own provisions stashed somewhere.

amother
Snowflake

Post Sun, May 22 2022, 11:23 pm
My dd is gluten free. She went to Camp Bnos. There were a few girls with dietary restrictions. The camp mother was in charge of helping them with their food. They had a separate room with a fridge, toaster ovens, microwave.

I prepared some frozen meals for my dd and I sent her with some easy foods she could prepare herself, like tuna and mayo. Whenever possible she ate the camp food, but if not she had plenty of options.

I also called some other camps before we chose a camp and some were even more willing to help. At least one told me that they have at least one gf option per meal. So I would assume if she's dairy free they would accommodate similarly. The best thing to do is call the camps she's interested in and see what they say. But these days most of them will do something to make it possible for her.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children