Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
UK mums: please recommend good fridge/freezer brand

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 11:06 am
I would like a 50/50 (I have a 60/40 in my kitchen). Regular size. I don’t have room for a full size.

I need this mainly for freezer space and extra fridge room for Shabbos and Yom Tov especially need before this holiday.

What brand would you recommend? Not top of the line but basic and good.

I rent my flat and need more space. iyh one day would take it with me as a second fridge and freezer as well so it’s not the main fridge but would need to be a good option that will last.

Thanks!

s c

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 11:58 am
If you want basic and decent, not top of the line, I would go with Beko. I have found them to be very reliable especially as a second fridge and freezer. I wouldn't really go cheaper than that. I once bought an Indesit which is a really cheap make and it broke in the second year.

amother
Mayflower

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 11:59 am
When we were looking, we started by measuring the space we had for it, how much we were willing to pay and then looked what was in our budget. We got a hisense which we're happy with.
Where do you live? I know in manchester currys outlet often has good deals on appliances.

Points we thought about. Don't get a handle that sticks out. It usually ends up broken in a short time. Ours has an indented handle which lasts much better. We also chose 60/40 in the end with more freezer space as I use that more.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 12:13 pm
I understand you don't want to shell out tons of money. However it's very difficult to find even decent quality (I'm not talking about top quality)
If you plan to keep appliance for a long time either invest in something good or buy a top brand 2nd hand.
Note that all spare parts are(like replacement plastic trays shelves etc) are *outrageous* in price.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 12:19 pm
I've been happy with Beko as well (on the lower end. Bosch for more expensive range). You just need to make sure that whatever you buy is compatible for Shabbos use as appliances these days often have electrical parts that can't be disabled.

I second Curry's. Check them out online.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 12:20 pm
Oops, double.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 2:31 pm
Thank you. I live in London. Should I order online? How do I know if I can disable the led lighting or any other beeping?

zoom

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 2:42 pm
What do you mean by 50/50 40/60?

I also have Beko and been v happy with it so far.

s c

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 3:35 pm
When I ordered beko I researched the model I wanted, googled best price and ordered from there. If John lewis have it at a good price it's worth ordering from them as they usually give a 2 year warranty so check that out. If you look at product specs in detail it lists whether there is an open door alarm etc . I find the more advanced they are the more they can't be used on shabbos. I bought a long time ago so now there is also the LED light situation. Look on the Federation website as I think they sell magnets to deal with this issue If the bulbs cant be removed.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 3:36 pm
zoom wrote:
What do you mean by 50/50 40/60?

I also have Beko and been v happy with it so far.

Percentage of fridge and freezer
do you know which model?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 3:38 pm
s c wrote:
When I ordered beko I researched the model I wanted, googled best price and ordered from there. If John lewis have it at a good price it's worth ordering from them as they usually give a 2 year warranty so check that out. If you look at product specs in detail it lists whether there is an open door alarm etc . I find the more advanced they are the more they can't be used on shabbos. I bought a long time ago so now there is also the LED light situation. Look on the Federation website as I think they sell magnets to deal with this issue If the bulbs cant be removed.

We actually just got a new fridge for our rental flat. My DH managed to pry off the LED light with a tool. I’m still not sure how to disable the open door alarm though.

I will check John Lewis thanks!!

shp41

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 5:20 pm
I'm looking for full size fridge and freezer - not all in one, but matching set. Any reccomendations? I also saw Beko - wondering if anyone has good experience with it... TIA

girli

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 5:32 pm
I've got a Samsung freezer, and I'm very happy with it. I bought a magnet to stop the light coming on for shabbos and you can switch off the screen on the outside door. You do need to use 2 magnets together to make sure it's strong enough to disconnect the light. There are some brands that are compatible for shabbos but very expensive.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 5:43 pm
You need a heavy duty magnet to disable the door alarm. Your local Jewish hardware store might stock them.

When the door is open and it starts to ring, move the magnet along the top front facing part of the fridge to see at which part it stops. You'll want to secure it down on that spot to ensure it doesn't ring anymore. Once you've secured it in place leave the door open again to double check that the alarm is disabled.

Ao.com is another great site.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics