Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Overwhelmed with idea of cooking milchigs
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 11:43 am
amf wrote:
Saute a couple cloves of crushed garlic in butter for a minute (I skip sometimes and just do garlic powder. When I want to be fancy I add in a can of mushrooms or sliced fresh mushrooms and saute a little longer) Add 3 cups water, 3 cups milk (whole milk is a creamier end product but 1% works fine too) and 1 box fettuccine cracked in half. Salt to taste. Raise heat, bring to a boil then return to medium and simmer for 20 minutes or so, stirring often. Top with grated parmesan

Thanks!

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 12:41 pm
Thanks for all of the advice, I am gathering recipes and trying them out, I'm making a greek salad for lunch today and will see how that goes. I wish that we held that a yom tov meal has to be fleishigs, that would solve my problem! I think part of what is so hard for me is that I have an aversion to cheese and therefore don't like the smell of cheese, so I didn't gather recipes or experience over the years in the milchig department. I also definitely liked the idea of bagels and lox/cream cheese but feel like I want to impress my guests with dishes...Thanks again! All tips are welcome.

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 12:53 pm
A great quick pasta dish is penne a la vodka.
Cook penne parve before Y"T.
On YT heat 1 jar Gefen vodka sauce with 2 cups heavy cream. Pour hot sauce over hot penne.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 12:57 pm
ra_mom wrote:
A great quick pasta dish is penne a la vodka.
Cook penne parve before Y"T.
On YT heat 1 jar Gefen vodka sauce with 2 cups heavy cream. Pour hot sauce over hot penne.

what brand heavy cream? how do you heat the penne on YT" if it is dry?

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 1:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
what brand heavy cream? how do you heat the penne on YT" if it is dry?

Any brand heavy cream.
Pour an urn of boiling water over a collander in the sink of cooked pasta to refresh and heat it.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 2:47 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Any brand heavy cream.
Pour an urn of boiling water over a collander in the sink of cooked pasta to refresh and heat it.

Could this be a borer issue?

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 2:56 pm
amother [ SandyBrown ] wrote:
Could this be a borer issue?
Cooking is allowed on Y"T and borer of food to prep for a meal is included, as is using utensils with special purposes if preparing food that day before a Y"T meal.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 3:14 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Cooking is allowed on Y"T and borer of food to prep for a meal is included, as is using utensils with special purposes if preparing food that day before a Y"T meal.

So do you need any kind of shinui with the colander?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 3:16 pm
is there cholov yisroel heavy cream? I am only seeing D on moishas online.

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 4:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
is there cholov yisroel heavy cream? I am only seeing D on moishas online.

Golden Flow and Devash both make heavy cream.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 5:20 pm
Thanks ra_mom, I got the heavy cream and sauce and am making it for supper tonight to try it out.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 6:03 pm
As for Borer on YT - when you prepare food you should make sure to do it the normal/easier way. You should especially not do it the way you do it on Shabbos.

amother
Valerian

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 6:26 pm
Op, if your problem is how to heat milchig things up this is what I do. I leave on a blech and place a sheet of foil on top to heat up milchig things. I asked and was told it’s okay.
I think if you serve a good salad with fish and have some sort of pasta.. that’s considered a good meal. The pasta can even be parve if you want. Serve with ice cream for dessert to make it milchig! Or buy a cheesecake.
The night meal is a great time for bagels and lox because it doesn’t need to heat up. You can serve it with store bought cheese blintzes that can served semi warm. I make a pitcher iced coffee and the meal becomes exciting.
I totally get your apprehension to prepare a milchig meal. I feel the same about fleishigs! I am not a fleishig person but grin and bear it and prepare fleishigs all the time! Dh will reluctantly eat one milchig meal on shavuos . Can’t wait for that 😊!

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 6:52 pm
amother [ SandyBrown ] wrote:
So do you need any kind of shinui with the colander?

No

ETA I don't think so, but remembering something now about small shinui like separating food on the table instead of on a plate, so need to double check this issue.

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, May 24 2022, 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
NeonPurple

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 8:07 pm
ra_mom wrote:
No

Please ask your LOR. This is not the psak that I’ve gotten or what I see when I did research.
Borer for cooking is allowed but not all types. Slotted spoon and small amounts , yes. Flour sifter and collander = large amounts and kli sheasuy lekach - specialized utensil , no.
Could be different rabbanim hold differently .

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 5:16 pm
amother [ NeonPurple ] wrote:
Please ask your LOR. This is not the psak that I’ve gotten or what I see when I did research.
Borer for cooking is allowed but not all types. Slotted spoon and small amounts , yes. Flour sifter and collander = large amounts and kli sheasuy lekach - specialized utensil , no.

OK, I was embarrassed by my presumed ignorance. But I was pretty sure that's what I learned too.
(Formerly amother sandy brown.)

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 6:33 pm
amother [ NeonPurple ] wrote:

Who is making large amounts? Do you make a recipe that feeds your family or do you suddenly make 5 boxes of fettuccine on Y"T morning so you can have 4 boxes leftover for the weekday meals after Y"T? Obviously that's not allowed.
Having leftovers from a meal is allowed even when cooking on YT, and eating the leftovers after YT. You are not allowed to cook with the intention that you're cooking for now and for later. That has nothing to do with utensils being used on YT for cooking in preparation for a meal. Feel free to use a can opener to prepare for a meal. Feel free to make a challah dough and bake it in your open oven on YT in preparation for your meal. Feel free to use a collander on YT in preparation for your meal.

amother
Oleander

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 6:39 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Who is making large amounts? Do you make a recipe that feeds your family or do you suddenly make 5 boxes of fettuccine on Y"T morning so you can have 4 boxes leftover for the weekday meals after Y"T? Obviously that's not allowed.
Having leftovers from a meal is allowed even when cooking on YT, and eating the leftovers after YT. You are not allowed to cook with the intention that you're cooking for now and for later. That has nothing to do with utensils being used on YT for cooking in preparation for a meal. Feel free to use a can opener to prepare for a meal. Feel free to make a challah dough and bake it in your open oven on YT in preparation for your meal. Feel free to use a collander on YT in preparation for your meal.

This is true according to many Rabbonim, but AYLOR. Some do not even allow using a peeler on Yom Tov. You cannot grind pepper on Yom Tov. Not every melacha involved in cooking is waived.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:05 pm
ra_mom wrote:

There are two separate things here: overcooking on yom tov, and using specialized utensils.
And it's entirely possible that there are different opinions. Case in point: I do use a peeler on yom tov. I think I've learned that if one uses a box grater one should do it on top of an inverted plate. I don't remember anything about colanders.
Definitely check with one's rav.

tichellady

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:08 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
There are two separate things here: overcooking on yom tov, and using specialized utensils.

If anyone is confused they can ask a question to their rabbi . It’s very mainstream to use a colander on yomtov when making pasta. Not a weird minority opinion. It’s mainstream to use a peeler on yomtov, even on Shabbos for certain things. Ra mom doesn’t need to defend what she said
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics