Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How long to keep baby in our room?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 3:33 pm
We are moving to a 1.5 bedroom apartment and are thinking about putting our 7mo in her own room, because 1. now we can, and 2. it has been affecting our shalom bayis to have to tiptoe around in our room, only talk in whispers, basically stay out of our room once she goes to sleep until we are ready to go to sleep... On the other hand she still wakes up for nighttime feedings (which we are not desperate to cut out) so does it make more sense to just keep her in our room until she is steadily sleeping through the night?

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 3:35 pm
Shalom bayis and your intimate life comes first
Parents who have a strong loving, intimate connection..is the greatest gift you can give your child.

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 3:36 pm
For my kid who kept nighttime feedings for longer, yeah I moved him out around 9 months and got up to get him when he cried. It wasn't too bad.

amother
Celeste

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 3:39 pm
I have them on their own on day 1 so I may be a bad person to weigh in. But I say go for it

amother
Lightcyan

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 3:44 pm
Definitely move him out!
I moved my first out at 4 months, and went into his room until 8 months for 1-2 night feedings. I would much prefer to go out of the room once in the middle of the night than have my room off limits from baby bedtime until ours, and have to whisper in bed.
My 2nd is 6 months and still in our room because he has to be sleeping through the night before I move him in with my toddler. Every day is hard and I wish I had a 3rd bedroom to move him to.

Einikel

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 3:47 pm
AAAP says it’s best keep babies in your room until ideally until 12 months and definitely until 6 months if that matters to you.

cheeseaddict

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 4:20 pm
For the baby, I'm not really sure it makes a difference as long as his needs are being met.

For you:
Are you overly nervous about SIDS and will be constantly getting up to check on the baby in the other room? If yes, consider keeping her in your room for now.

Do you fall asleep with your baby in your bed while night nursing or are you awake for the duration of the feeding anyways, and going into the next room is the only difference? Sleeping with the baby is not recommended (though I have done it with most of mine from sheer exhaustion), so if you could put a comfortable chair/recliner in the nursery so you would not have to go back and forth so often, that may help.

Sleeping in another room often means that babies are awake less often for night feedings (mostly because we don't feed them every time they make a sound in their sleep or turn over), which may mean more sleep for you in the long run.

If you or your husband snore or move around alot, it may mean better sleep for baby, too.

amother
Impatiens

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 4:25 pm
By age 5 months, if the baby is sleeping basically thru the nite- he/she needs their own room! I have been a parent for over 40 years ( 8 kid BH) and know all too well - best for the baby and parents.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 4:47 pm
It’s best for baby to stay in your room for longer.

oakandfig19

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 4:49 pm
I’ve heard that once they’re one it can be harder to move them, they are more aware and more clingy. I moved by baby around 6 months (it’s best not to before then) and I just have a baby monitor. And he’s right next to our room so I can easily go check. I think we all sleep better this way.

stillnewlywed

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 8:06 pm
Also want to add that if you are moving him out and you are a bit worried about him, a night vision monitor is great

https://www.vava.com/products/.....nitor

I have this one and its so easy to check on baby during the night without going to the other room

amother
Peony

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 8:19 pm
amother [ Celeste ] wrote:
I have them on their own on day 1 so I may be a bad person to weigh in. But I say go for it
how do you hear the baby that way?

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 8:22 pm
amother [ Peony ] wrote:
how do you hear the baby that way?

Don't have the baby across a large house from you? Moms are usually light sleepers.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 8:23 pm
Every baby's different. My first. I kept in my room until 3 months. My second was out of my room at a month. My third out of my room by 3 months. My fourth is still in my room at 15 months.

amother
Peony

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 8:30 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
Don't have the baby across a large house from you? Moms are usually light sleepers.
the day after I have a baby I’m bombed didn’t know ppl have babies out of their rooms from day 1
Whatever floats their boat

amother
Ebony

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 8:45 pm
I moved baby out at 18 months. We were careful not to make noise in the bedroom. Whatever works for you Smile

amother
Blueberry

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 8:50 pm
I moved out at about 6 months. There is no reason for baby to still be waking up in middle of the night. And you need to care for your relationship too.

amother
Phlox

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 9:07 pm
My two year old is still in my room. She doesn't sleep through the night at all and she ends up in my bed during the night. I love cuddling with her, so it works for us.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 9:10 pm
I moved my kids out at about 6 months. At that point, they were sleeping through the night. I have a camera in their room though till about 2 years old or until the next kid came along and needed it, so I could hear and see them cry or make any noise.
I agree that's it's harder to move them out once they're older.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics