Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Pls help me , days off what's reasonable

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 8:01 pm
I want to make something official for my days off at my job
I am a school bookkeeper and work 3 full days a week. If something comes up (child surgery, child sick etc) I take off but then I make up for it the other day of the week

I want to stop this, it really doesn't feel healthy
I feel like I am entitled to days off just like everyone else
I am at my job for 5 years, what's a reasonable amount of days off I can ask for per year?
Thanks for your help

Edited to add, also whenever there is a week with a public holiday eg Thanksgiving, memorial day I always make it up the 4th day of the week

amother
Bellflower

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 8:03 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I want to make something official for my days off at my job
I am a school bookkeeper and work 3 full days a week. If something comes up (child surgery, child sick etc) I take off but then I make up for it the other day of the week

I want to stop this, it really doesn't feel healthy
I feel like I am entitled to days off just like everyone else
I am at my job for 5 years, what's a reasonable amount of days off I can ask for per year?
Thanks for your help

I would ask for two weeks off. (10 days). I work 5 days a week full time and I get 20 days, so if you work about half of that it sounds right. You also get the benefit of flexibility which full time workers don't have

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 8:04 pm
I would say 2 weeks which in your case is 6 days.
I’m also going on the assumption that you get paid for yontif and school vacations. If that’s an incorrect assumption then you can definitely ask for more.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 8:04 pm
amother [ Bellflower ] wrote:
I would ask for two weeks off. (10 days). I work 5 days a week full time and I get 20 days, so if you work about half of that it sounds right. You also get the benefit of flexibility which full time workers don't have

What do you mean by your last sentence
And how long have you been at this job?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 8:05 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
I would say 2 weeks which in your case is 6 days.
I’m also going on the assumption that you get paid for yontif and school vacations. If that’s an incorrect assumption then you can definitely ask for more.

Even if I have been working for 5years?
And also is this including sick days?

evi

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 8:07 pm
If you get yom tov off then maybe 5-9 additional to get you to Fortune 500 level multiplied by 60%. This is if you work year round.

*Edited because you don't get legal holidays.

Last edited by evi on Mon, May 23 2022, 8:14 pm; edited 3 times in total

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 8:08 pm
evi wrote:
Do you get yom tov off? Or do you work to make those up too. If you get yom tov off then maybe 5 additional to get you to Fortune 500 level multiplied by 60%. If you don't then maybe 12. This is if you work year round. If you get summers off, subtract a day or 2. (so 4 or 10)

I work in a school so it's a school schedule, all yt and chol hamoed off
Summer I work remotely since people away

evi

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 8:12 pm
Edited my original post to adjust for no legal holidays off, full year of work, and yom tov off.

My place started at 19 days for full time plus maybe 7 legal holidays. I have to subtract yom tov from that.

evi

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 8:15 pm
Just noticed you get chol hamoed off too, so maybe 5-9. I have to subtract chol hamoed if I take it, which is not always.

This includes sick days. However, if someone gets really sick, they can have short term disability, where they get paid, but that's only for severe instances.

Last edited by evi on Mon, May 23 2022, 8:21 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 8:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Even if I have been working for 5years?
And also is this including sick days?

I was grouping them together. In my experience it’s easier to just have a total of days off rather than categorising them.
Jobs on a school schedule don’t usually give a lot of days off since you’re already getting so many paid days built into the calendar. 5 years in the corporate world would many times come with increased days off but maybe an additional week not another month.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 8:18 pm
I worked in a school for many years and all staff had the same amount of vacation time no matter how long they'd been there.
Work 5 days a week, you get off double that - so 10 vacation days (plus 4 sick days)
Work 3 days a week - 6 vacation days (plus 2 sick days)

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 8:22 pm
amother [ Bottlebrush ] wrote:
I worked in a school for many years and all staff had the same amount of vacation time no matter how long they'd been there.
Work 5 days a week, you get off double that - so 10 vacation days (plus 4 sick days)
Work 3 days a week - 6 vacation days (plus 2 sick days)

Ty, so teacher start with 7 days and they keep increasing
When teachers don't work we pay a sub, when I don't work I work at home or work extra hard week before or after to catch up so no extra expenses for school

But anyway I think between 8 to 10 is reasonable? Maybe I'll ask for 10 and see if I need to negotiate
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics