Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much should groceries cost for a family of 6?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Narcissus

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 9:49 pm
Family of 9, if I buy normally (that means making challah and dessert myself, no yogurt or string cheese, limited chicken and meat) it is probably $500-$600 a week.

We are struggling right now so we're spending about $250-$300 a week. There's a lot of "do without" on our menu these days.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 10:46 pm
I would have to figure out because let’s see… last Friday I spent $300 on groceries that were supposed to be for shabbos and also this week. Yesterday we bought pizza and my son who was going back to yeshiva bought around $30 of food to take with him. Today I was in Walmart for something and I ended up buying some veggies and tomato sauce and a few bottles of seltzer… it’s so hard to figure out because every week is different. I will need lots more to prepare for shabbos and I should really start cooking for shavuos too.
I’m babbling… I would assume that for my family of 6 I probably spend around $350-$400 a week these days. Obviously more if we’re having guests or it’s yomtov and less if it’s quiet here.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 12:01 am
amother [ Geranium ] wrote:
I am shocked by all these responses! We’re a family of 6 and I’m spending a minimum of 600 a week on all groceries. And I’ve checked in with friends with the same family sizes and they’re spending the same.
[b]

Same. How much do you spend on other misc items a week? Though I second 900 for household and groceries.

amother
Sand

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 12:16 am
I am shocked by all these responses! We’re a family of 6 and I’m spending a minimum of 600 a week on all groceries. And I’ve checked in with friends with the same family sizes and they’re spending the same.

I’m also shocked. Maybe it depends where you live? We’re a family of 6, but the kids are very picky. Lately we’ve been spending close to $400 a week for all our groceries. And I already try to buy store brands.
Chicken cutlets are $10/lb where I live Sad

amother
Beige

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 12:23 am
Family of 7. My Shabbos order is close to 300. Plus buying stuff during week. So prob at 500. Make my own meals. challahs. Dips. Dessert. Etc. Kids are picky eaters. I'm on special diet due to medical reasons. Dunno how some of yous get away so cheap.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 12:49 am
We make almost everything from scratch. We do get a box with some kosher items which takes care of some dinners. Some dinners are just sandwiches with tuna and vegetables.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 12:50 am
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
I actually dont buy any snacks or cookies
fruits, veggies, meat, eggs, milk, yogurt

I do shop in one store on sunday bc I have the baby with me. I spent 180$ on sunday which doesnt include shabbat

Are you saying you're also not buying fruits, veggies etc, or that's what you're buying?

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 12:55 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Are you saying you're also not buying fruits, veggies etc, or that's what you're buying?

ugh sorry I should have added punctuation.
I buy 4 of everything, 4 apples, 4 peaches, pint of berries, some loose potatoes, tomatoes, cucumbers, mango.

some chicken (usually family size to last all week)

last week bill was more $ bc I had to buy plates, and sauces (ketchup, soy sauce, aluminum tins) etc.

amother
Snow

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 2:48 am
It depends on where you live, what kind of foods you buy etc. Also if your kids are older, if they get food in school at all, or if there are dietary restrictions or needs besides CY.
My kids dont get any food at school. So I have to pack lunches, snacks etc. I know in some schools/ some cities the kids get full lunches, some get breakfast...

ccwife

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 7:58 am
amother [ Snow ] wrote:
It depends on where you live, what kind of foods you buy etc. Also if your kids are older, if they get food in school at all, or if there are dietary restrictions or needs besides CY.
My kids dont get any food at school. So I have to pack lunches, snacks etc. I know in some schools/ some cities the kids get full lunches, some get breakfast...

So true. I live in NYC, my daughter gets breakfast, lunch, and snacks in school and my husband gets breakfast and lunch in Yeshiva. I'm only buying food for me and my toddler for during the day which comes out to very little. If I had to feed everyone all day I would be spending way more!

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 8:23 am

I truly don't know how I would get to that number. Unless you're counting toiletries, diapers? Even so. I think families just shop very differently.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 9:47 am
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
I truly don't know how I would get to that number. Unless you're counting toiletries, diapers? Even so. I think families just shop very differently.

I could easily get that that if I include meat/chicken and fruits/vegetables. Fruits and vegetables are usually around $100 and meat/chicken is easily over $100 when you have a husband who only eats meat.

justforfun87

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:06 am
Family of 5 and we spend appx 350/week in Baltimore sometimes less and sometimes a bit more. There is unfortunately sometimes food waste though. Sad

amother
Geranium

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 6:53 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
my Sunday bill where I try to include everything except the following shabbos is usually about 200 dollars. I usually end up needing more stuff throughout the week and every time I go to the store for even a couple of things it’s 50-60 dollars. Groceries are a fortune these days! Shabbos is another 250 dollars easy.

amother
Whitewash

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 9:08 pm

I am feeling so much better now. thanks

amother
Blush

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:23 pm
amother [ Whitewash ] wrote:
I am feeling so much better now. thanks

Family of 7, I prob spend between 700-800 a week. Assuming ppl who spend much less don't eat cutlets or meat most nights, don't usually buy meat for shabbos or paper goods, aren't giving kids 2 snacks a day (1 per recess) or buying enough fruit for every person to have at least 1 a day, etc. Definitely not making a fresh or frozen vegetable every night!
No judgement for those who don't or can't afford, but obviously it depends on what you buy...

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:35 pm
my Sunday bill where I try to include everything except the following shabbos is usually about 200 dollars. I usually end up needing more stuff throughout the week and every time I go to the store for even a couple of things it’s 50-60 dollars. Groceries are a fortune these days! Shabbos is another 250 dollars easy.

What do you buy for shabbos that adds up to 250?

amother
Lily

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:36 pm
Household of 6- 500$ a week and that's after I started budgeting. Used to be 700-800$.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:46 pm
We’re a family of 4. 2 adults 2 kids ages 10 & 7. We spend close to $700/$800
weekly and this is without detergent/shampoo/body wash etc.

I wish I can learn how to shop for $200 a week!

I eat a lot of protein, not red meat. Mostly chicken breast, ground, chicken thighs. As I workout 3 times a day and need the extra protein.
This week I told my dh that we need to figure out how to cut back, I want to stop buying little snack bags for the kids because A it has no nutrition and B the prices went up like crazy! But I do need some alternatives for snacks, not to make my kids feel different than their peers in school.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:48 pm
amother [ Lily ] wrote:
Household of 6- 500$ a week and that's after I started budgeting. Used to be 700-800$.
[b]

Does that Include inky basic grocerie?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics