Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Camp mommy
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:07 am
#BestBubby wrote:
One of the frum magazines had a cover story on "Camp Mommy" a couple of years ago.

It had lots of ideas.

A lot of expensive trips, but the Mothers said it was still much cheaper than day camp.

Maybe contact the magazines (Mishpacha, Ami, Binah) and ask if you can have a copy
of the Camp Mommy article.

Thanks

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:08 am
#BestBubby wrote:
Scavenger Hunt

Treasure Hunt

Candy Hunt

Capture the Flag

Camp Fire - roast hot dogs, toast marshmallows

Make a play for the neighborhood kids. Maybe Kamtza and Bar Kamtza.

Buy a big swimming pool - I think Intel makes one 10'. I bought one for around $30.

Travel the World - pick a country. Write to travel agents for brochures and hang up pictures, posters
of your destination. Eat a meal (Chinese?) of your destination. Dress up in native costume.

Have a Costume Contest - everybody dress up and give everyone prizes - most original, most scary,
most funny, most beautiful, most cute, etc.

Pick your best pictures to print out and make scrapbooks, photo albums or photo books.

Thanks for the ideas!

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:10 am
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
Is there a project you could work on over summer? Build a cubby house or create vegetable garden…

Is there a skill you could learn together?
Cooking, baking ? Learn different cuisines and learn a bit about the country, arts and crafts or a scrap book can tie in with that.

Yeah, we always do a garden BH.
But I do have a thought for a big project, just waiting to see if it's too big for us. My husband is looking into it.
Too many kids for my kitchen ;-)... We do it in short spurts but usually not with everyone.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:12 am
TravelHearter wrote:
Love all the ideas!
You can also do the things you’ve done before but with a twist.
Mall- everyone has to buy each other a $5 gift, scavenger hunt, etc
Park- water day (buy really cool water toys), fun sport days, races
Candy store- each get things in only one color, or only starting with the letter C, etc
I second the volunteering!
I also second the one big project you work on together (something they want- building a deck outside, planting, painting a mural together for sukkos)

Oh, I like the buying someone else something!!! That fits with our Jewish theme.
I hope we can volunteer too, I need to ask around. I've never done it before...
Thanks!

amother
OP

amother [ NeonBlue ] wrote:
Hiking is cheap and a full day of fun. You can take with a BBQ or picnic. Take along music with a speaker.

We go hiking next to water and then take a dip.

Yeah, we definitely do this many times :-)

amother
Bottlebrush

Does your library offer any programming during the summer? I know a lot stopped because of Covid but one near me is offering it again this summer (it's in the county over from me, so look around)
They have magic shows, animal shows, balloon shows...

My kids love cooking and baking - we do cupcake decorating, ice cream in a bag, bake challah, cookie cutter cookies

They also love doing crafts - I usually can find some deals on Kiwi crates or Annie's Crafts for the older kids. Big bubbles are loved here (look for a recipe on Pinterest) and making slime

I try to do a water activity everyday, it takes up so much time and tires them out. Water guns, water balloons, sprinkler, slip and slide, pool

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:16 am
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
Following. I’m also doing mommy camp- so excited!

Some incentive programs I’ve done over the years-
Every morning after the finish all the things they need to do (like get dressed, daven, make their bed, maybe summer homework…) they get to pick a raffle. The raffles are small exciting things like a slurpee, something from dollar tree..

Also I’ve had a money incentive program that worked well. And they were able to use the extra money to spend on our trips on things we weren’t buying. Like cute souvenirs and stuff.
Things like .05 every bracha or amen out loud
.25 if they do something extra nice for a sibling
.10 if they notice something hashgacha pratis that happened.
Maybe some for every perek tehillim or learning for the boys. Things like that.

Thanks for the ideas!
Last year my kids earned points for each required daily to do and at the end of each month I made a store they can buy from with their points.
I need something super simple for me to keep track of. I know myself. I get distracted with things I need to do, plus I'm forgetful a bit. So it can't be something throughout the day. I try keeping the points contained to a time of day. But I am hoping for some more tips :-)

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:22 am
amother [ Bottlebrush ] wrote:
Does your library offer any programming during the summer? I know a lot stopped because of Covid but one near me is offering it again this summer (it's in the county over from me, so look around)

My kids love cooking and baking - we do cupcake decorating, ice cream in a bag, bake challah, cookie cutter cookies

They also love doing crafts - I usually can find some deals on Kiwi crates or Annie's Crafts for the older kids. Big bubbles are loved here (look for a recipe on Pinterest) and making slime

I try to do a water activity everyday, it takes up so much time and tires them out. Water guns, water balloons, sprinkler, slip and slide, pool

The library does, I need to see what they have. Usually it's later in the day though. I need earlier. But I definitely keep my eyes on their programs. We go there weekly anyway.

My kids like doing a lot of things I don't. Sooooo I'm trying to compromise a bit. Like I don't like baking or decorating. They do. And honestly they do it all the time without me, so I don't feel like it's a camp activity if they do it without me. But maybe I'm wrong?

I don't know what those arts and crafts boxes are- but I'll look into it. One thing about me is that I try to do things as economically friendly as possible ;-)

My kids love water too. I do really need to get some water activities. The thing is, it keeps seeming so disposable from year to year and I hate that!

dankbar

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:58 am
For general ideas there are many camp mommy threads from prior years but if you want specific activities linked to your theme then knowing the theme could be helpful, I can then help you plan your summer

dankbar

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 11:00 am
Is it mitzvos? Middos? Pirkei avos? Heavenly matanos? Ahavas yisroel? Yomim Tovim?
You mentioned buying gifts for other could tie into theme.

dankbar

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 11:04 am
Today I'll be sitting at appointment so I might have time to think

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 11:21 am
dankbar wrote:
For general ideas there are many camp mommy threads from prior years but if you want specific activities linked to your theme then knowing the theme could be helpful, I can then help you plan your summer

I'm not sure why I didn't do a search here, that is actually a good idea for me to do. Thanks!

I'd rather not say my theme, not to be deliberately secretive, it's nothing elaborate or grand, but I will be talking about it with friends/family I'm sure and I know there are many on here. Anything related to Judaism in any way shape or form will work!

I appreciate your sincerity to help :-)

dankbar

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 11:31 am
You can pm me with theme & I will help you privately. I dont know anyone that does camp mommy besides for me (short spurts) so I am probably not related to you

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 11:48 am
amother [ Bottlebrush ] wrote:

Can you explain ice cream in a bag? Sounds like something we would enjoy doing

amother
Chambray

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 12:34 pm
I think cooking/ decoration / baking is a perfect activity for an hour or so on Thursday. Bonus points if they do it without you that’s great for a change. As they get older giving them short spurts of independence even during the day can be nice.

Maybe keep the two year old out of the way though

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 12:38 pm
Ice cream in a bag
https://www.thebestideasforkid.....-bag/

The kids should wear winter gloves, our fingers were frigid after two minutes

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 1:46 pm
Thanks!

amf

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 2:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

My kids love water too. I do really need to get some water activities. The thing is, it keeps seeming so disposable from year to year and I hate that!

Get a splash pad and turn any activity into a water activity to mix things up, especially for younger kids- hopscotch, limbo, etc. Fun water activity that's cheap and reusable day to day

https://www.target.com/p/minni.....nkler

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 2:03 pm
I just remembered some more activities
Kidsbowlfree.com
Look for a bowling alley in your area. You get two free games a day, per kids. Have to pay for shoes

Also we love going to Half Price Books
They have a summer reading program where after you read a certain amount of time they give you money to spend in their store

We've done a scavenger hunt in the pet store and grocery store
(Google for differnet lists)

Do you have any free nature centers nearby? We have one that has a small indoor area with animals and exhibits and then trails outside - there's also a scavenger hunt for that

One summer we bought a machine that makes shaved ice and made snow cones. Another summer we bought a popcorn machine and we'll make popcorn and watch a movie on a projector (another summer purchase)

I'll usually do one trip a week that costs real money - trampoline park, chuck e cheese, bounce house...

I'm super cheap, but I give myself a budget each week and let myself spend. It's $175 a week here for camp (no lunch included). Times 4 kids - that's $700 a week. If I spend $250 a week I'm still saving $1800 over a month

dankbar

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 2:21 pm
A popular theme in my community by professional day camps was Gifts, which was really cool.

Every week, the focus was on a diff subcategory of the global theme.

1-Shabbos
2-Yom Tov
3-Family
4-4 seasons
5-nature
6-5 senses
7- mitzvos
8-extended family

You can also focus on talents, skills. Maybe food, nutrition, healthy food, our health, our bodies

Shelter, different homes around the world, different homes for diff animals.

The animal kingdom, what they provide for us

Our universe, our world, the globe/map, different countries around the world

Our community helpers

Our school, teachers, education system

Technology make life easier for us

Our gedolim, leaders

Our presidents, soldiers etc.

Our own unique selves

Friendships & relationships

Our mental health, emotions

Like all the stuff we need to be grateful for.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics