Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Help. Need Shabbos food out of town with nut-allergic child

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 3:45 am
**edit: there are only two of us!

It’s a town that definitely has a supermarket, but I want to try to bring as much as I can and heat it up at hotel. Can’t do catering because of nut allergy. Please, travel moms….have you ever brought Shabbos with you and heated it up when you got there? 2.5 hour flight.

What is an easy way to do this? I’m not going to have time to run all over the place when I arrive.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 4:03 am
Yes. I prepack well. We take our kids food everywhere we go. It's a chore especially when flying bt a necessity.
Which area will you be? Maybe someone local with same allergies or availability to cook for allergy sensitive child can step up

amother
Obsidian

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 5:45 am
Freeze the main dish. Meat, rice and green beans work well.
Freeze vacuum sealed cold cuts. Keep vacuum sealed smoked salmon near the cold cuts to keep them cold.
Challah. Intact avocado. Salt and cutlery for mashing.
Goodmans soup and noodle mix, if allergies allow.
For cholent, can of beans. 2 intact potatoes. Frozen chunk of meat. Seasonings already mixed up in a ziploc.
Canned fruit with pop top lids.
Bring crackers and tuna pouches for shalosh seudos.

amother
Snowflake

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 5:53 am
I packed cooked food for the entire week (not because of allergies, just to save time and money) when we went to Orlando a few years ago. Totally doable

amother
Mulberry

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 8:36 am
It's a huge hassle for me to bring cooked food. I'm fine walking into a supermarket and figuring out what to make on the spot. Obviously Airbnb is preferable for kitchen amenities but you can bring a crock pot and a fleshing pizza maker to a hotel and make a delicious shabbos.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 8:58 am
This is awesome. Thank you!

quote="amother [ Obsidian ]"]Freeze the main dish. Meat, rice and green beans work well.
Freeze vacuum sealed cold cuts. Keep vacuum sealed smoked salmon near the cold cuts to keep them cold.
Challah. Intact avocado. Salt and cutlery for mashing.
Goodmans soup and noodle mix, if allergies allow.
For cholent, can of beans. 2 intact potatoes. Frozen chunk of meat. Seasonings already mixed up in a ziploc.
Canned fruit with pop top lids.
Bring crackers and tuna pouches for shalosh seudos.[/quote]

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:03 am
Hi! I would love to hear some examples of what you brought, how you stored/transported, how you heated it up. Thank you!!

amother [ Snowflake ] wrote:
I packed cooked food for the entire week (not because of allergies, just to save time and money) when we went to Orlando a few years ago. Totally doable

Ellie7

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:46 am
One thing I do a lot is spaghetti and meatballs. I freeze the meatballs in sauce and then heat up in the microwave. Under the plane is really cold so checking the bag with the frozen food works well.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:47 am
This sounds good.
Can anyone recommend a hot plate that they like to travel with, preferable a smaller one?

quote="Ellie7"]One thing I do a lot is spaghetti and meatballs. I freeze the meatballs in sauce and then heat up in the microwave. Under the plane is really cold so checking the bag with the frozen food works well.[/quote]

amother
Snowflake

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:58 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi! I would love to hear some examples of what you brought, how you stored/transported, how you heated it up. Thank you!!

The regular food we eat. I don’t have that menu but it was likely some chicken breast dishes like chicken shawarma or bourbon chicken) a ground beef dish (chili or meatballs etc) I prefer to travel with wet foods to dry food (in terms of how they taste when there reheated) Side dishes (rice or pasta or quinoa etc) cooked and packaged separately. All packed in ziplocks and frozen. Veggie sides I bought locally (like frozen bag of California mix, salad, etc)

I did this slowly, over a week or 2 before the trip. Whatever dinner I made I just doubled. I took organization but not a huge amount of time.

doctorima

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 11:19 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This sounds good.
Can anyone recommend a hot plate that they like to travel with, preferable a smaller one?

I've been happy with this one for traveling, although you should be able to get it for cheaper if you don't need it now and set a price alert:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HD3JP2Q/

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 2:09 pm
This is helpful, thank you.

amother [ Snowflake ] wrote:
The regular food we eat. I don’t have that menu but it was likely some chicken breast dishes like chicken shawarma or bourbon chicken) a ground beef dish (chili or meatballs etc) I prefer to travel with wet foods to dry food (in terms of how they taste when there reheated) Side dishes (rice or pasta or quinoa etc) cooked and packaged separately. All packed in ziplocks and frozen. Veggie sides I bought locally (like frozen bag of California mix, salad, etc)

I did this slowly, over a week or 2 before the trip. Whatever dinner I made I just doubled. I took organization but not a huge amount of time.

gingleale

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 3:23 pm
Last time I did this I took brisket, potato kugel, deli, lemon chicken with potatoes, baked ziti and meatballs. I either froze well wrapped or vacuum packed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics