Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Helping a friend - need ideas

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 7:30 pm
A friend will be having surgery soon and will have limited mobility for a while. I’d like to help her stock her freezer with preassembled fleishig dinners for two that can go right into the oven. She doesn’t really enjoy cooked food that has been frozen. Can you talented imas give me your ideas please? Think chicken bottoms cleaned and frozen with onions sliced underneath etc . If veggies can be included , that’s a plus. It’s just for two people. Thanks

amother
Obsidian

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 7:36 pm
Would she appreciate soup? It's a good comfort food for recovering and freezes well. Chicken noodle soup, minestrone soup, butternut squash soup, cream of broccoli soup, split pea soup, etc.

dankbar

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 7:36 pm
Then you can prepare sheet pan dinners that she can just slip into the oven. Like chicken with rice & veggies.
Raw roasted veggies

Anything in dough that is raw & then baked.

Potato knishes, apple strudel, deli roll, turnovers.

Any kugels can be premixed & put into oven to bake like lukshen kugel, any veg kugel.

Any pie, crumbles pre-assembled with raw dough like apple, cherry

Breaded cutlets raw ready to bake

Breaded bottoms raw ready to bake

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 7:48 pm
amother [ Obsidian ] wrote:
Would she appreciate soup? It's a good comfort food for recovering and freezes well. Chicken noodle soup, minestrone soup, butternut squash soup, cream of broccoli soup, split pea soup, etc.

Maybe I’ll make some parve soups for her for lunch for herself. She would enjoy that ! It will be summer so her dh wouldn't appreciate soup for dinner.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 7:49 pm
dankbar wrote:
Then you can prepare sheet pan dinners that she can just slip into the oven. Like chicken with rice & veggies.
Raw roasted veggies

Anything in dough that is raw & then baked.

Potato knishes, apple strudel, deli roll, turnovers.

Any kugels can be premixed & put into oven to bake like lukshen kugel, any veg kugel.

Any pie, crumbles pre-assembled with raw dough like apple, cherry

Breaded cutlets raw ready to bake

Breaded bottoms raw ready to bake

Thanks - what veggies freeze well?

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 5:02 pm
Bumping for any input . Please help me out with ideas and be a little more specific - tia!

Amarante

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 5:16 pm
Gazpacho is a delicious soup for summer. I used to make a huge vat and then would have it for several days.
I have a great recipe if you would like.

Greek Chicken Freezer Dinner

This is good because it is intentionally designed to be frozen and the recipe is appealing to almost everyone - who doesn’t like lemon chicken with potatoes?

* 1.5 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2" pieces

2 lbs chicken breast

1/4 cup olive oil
2 tbsp lemon juice

2 tbsp salt, divided

1 tbsp oregano, dried

1 tbsp garlic powder

1 tbsp dried dill

1 gallon sized freezer bag

1. Bring a large stock pot filled with water to the boil. Add one tablespoon of salt along with the potatoes, and boil for 6 minutes. Drain potatoes into a colander and allow them to cool completely.

1. Make the Greek marinade: in a small bowl, combine olive oil, lemon juice, remaining tablespoon of salt, oregano, garlic powder and dill, stir to combine.

1. In a large bowl, toss the cooled, cooked potatoes with half of the Greek marinade until potatoes are coated. Add potatoes to the bottom of a freezer bag. Use the same bowl to toss the chicken breasts with the remaining dressing. Once they’re well coated, add the seasoned chicken breast to the freezer bag along with the potatoes.

To cook the Greek Chicken Freezer Dinner.

1. The night before you want to make this Greek chicken freezer dinner, remove it from the freezer and place it in the fridge to thaw.

1. Heat the oven to 400°F

1. When you are ready to bake, spread the defrosted chicken and potatoes out on a lightly greased rimmed baking sheet.

1. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the internal temperature of your chicken reaches 165°F on an instant read thermometer.

1. If you want to add some color to the chicken and potatoes, broil for another 3-5 minutes.

Amarante

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 5:18 pm
Here is another recipe that has specific instructions for freezing and cooking when you are ready

Cheesy Baked Spaghetti Squash with Marinara Sauce

By Jennifer Segal

Vegetarian comfort food is roasted spaghetti squash tossed with marinara sauce, topped with cheese and crispy panko, and baked until golden.

Servings: 4 to 6 as a main course, 8 as a side dish
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hour 5 Minutes
Total Time: 1 Hour 20 Minutes

INGREDIENTS

* 2 medium spaghetti squash (about 2½ pounds each)
* 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
* Salt
* Freshly ground black pepper
* 1¾ cups jarred marinara sauce, best quality such as Rao's or Victoria
* 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, plus more for serving (or ¾ teaspoon dried)
* 1½ cups shredded whole milk mozzarella cheese
* 3 tablespoons finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
* 1½ tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
* ¾ cup panko bread crumbs
INSTRUCTIONS

* Preheat the oven to 400°F and set an oven rack in the middle position. Line a baking sheet with heavy-duty aluminum foil for easy clean-up.

* Using a very sharp chef's knife, cut a sliver off of the stem end of each squash (this creates a flat surface to cut the squash in half). Stand each squash upright on a cutting board and slice through them top to bottom to cut each squash in half (use your body weight to press the knife down).

* Using a soup spoon, scrape out the seeds and discard them.

* Place the squash halves cut-side-up on the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with the oil and sprinkle evenly with 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Flip the squash halves so they are cut-side-down. Roast for 40 to 50 minutes, or until the squash is golden brown underneath and tender when pierced with a fork. You should be able to scrape the strands away from the skin easily. Flip the squash halves so they are cut-side-up, and let sit until cool enough to handle. Use a fork to scrape out and fluff the strands.
* Increase the oven temperature to 425°F.

* Place the strands in a large bowl. Add the marinara sauce, ¾ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, and thyme and toss gently until the squash is evenly coated. Taste and add adjust seasoning if necessary. Transfer the mixture to an ungreased 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese evenly over top, followed by the Parmigiano-Reggiano.

* In a small bowl, combine the melted butter with the panko, and mix until the panko is evenly coated. Sprinkle the panko mixture evenly over the cheese. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the top is golden. Let cool for a few minutes, then sprinkle with more fresh thyme and serve.

* Make-Ahead/Freezer-Friendly Instructions: The casserole can be assembled and refrigerated for up to 2 days before baking, or frozen for up to 3 months. Bake directly from the refrigerator or freezer, allowing a few extra minutes in the oven.

Amarante

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 5:30 pm
This one is frozen and then the contents are cooked in a crockpot which is a nice idea for the summer since it wouldn't heat up the kitchen. You could also make the rice and freeze it. I used to buy frozen cooked rice for when I really needed to get a meal on the table quickly so you could just cook up your own and freeze it.

Make up little baggies or small containers of the constarch and cashews so that it is all ready to go.

Slow-Cooker Asian Peach Chicken Thighs

Excerpt From: Betty Crocker Fresh from the Freezer

4 servings | Prep Time: 20 Minutes | Start to Finish: 4 Hours 25 Minutes

TO FREEZE/COOK

¼ cup honey
¼ cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons chili garlic sauce
20 oz boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 bag (12 oz) frozen sliced peaches

TO SERVE

2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons cold water
2 cups hot cooked white rice
½ cup sliced green onions
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
¼ cup chopped roasted salted cashews
1 lime, cut into wedges

1 In 1-gallon resealable freezer plastic bag, place honey, soy sauce, melted butter and chili garlic sauce; seal bag. Knead bag to mix well. Add chicken and frozen peaches; turn bag to thoroughly coat chicken and peaches with sauce.

2 Lay bag flat in freezer. Freeze up to 3 months. Thaw 12 to 24 hours in refrigerator until completely thawed.

3 Spray 3½- to 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Pour chicken mixture into slow cooker. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 4 to 5 hours.

4 Increase heat setting to High. In small bowl, beat cornstarch and cold water. Quickly stir into chicken mixture in slow cooker. Cover; cook 5 to 10 minutes longer or until thickened.

5 To serve, place ½ cup rice in each of 4 bowls. Top with chicken mixture, onions, cilantro and cashews. Serve with lime.

1 Serving: Calories 510; Total Fat 16g (Saturated Fat 6g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 150mg; Sodium 1480mg; Total Carbohydrate 55g (Dietary Fiber 3g); Protein 35g Exchanges: 1½ Starch, 1 Fruit, 1 Other Carbohydrate, 4½ Lean Meat, ½ Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 3½

Fresh Idea Not crazy about cilantro? Try Thai or Italian basil instead.

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 5:31 pm
Season the chicken legs all ready for roast chicken. Freeze it in a disposable baking pan all ready to bake.

For variety, season chicken legs and then pour a sauce over before freezing.

Freeze stuffed peppers raw.

Lasagna, layered, frozen and ready to bake.

Lightly bake rounds of pizza dough. Add sauce and cheese and freeze, all ready to bake.

Frozen raw meatloaf log.

Minute steak frozen in a pan over a bed of sliced onions and the steaks oiled and seasoned very well.

Form burgers and freeze raw, in a stack, with pieces of parchment paper between each one so they don't stick together.

Bread chicken cutlets and also layer with parchment paper.

Measure out various types of rice and add seasoning in a ziploc bag (white, brown, wild). Write on the bag how much water to add and how long to bake / what temp.

https://betweencarpools.com/mo.....-day/

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 5:40 pm
These are great !! Please keep them coming . They’re not into milchigs so these recipes are enough to tide over for the nine days and we’ll supplement with some fresh fish . Would love some more one pan chicken or meat ideas please . Tysm !

amother
Lightcoral

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 6:50 pm
What a wonderful idea. You are such a good friend.

-You can do chicken capons filled with kishke. prepare it raw, ready to bake
-Chicken skewers. Do strips of cutlets, put onto wooden skewers, dip each skewer in mayo and ketchup mixture, then in crumbs (whatever type you like) send raw ready to bake
-Take cutlet, pound it out, place pastrami over it, roll it together. Dip in sauce and crumbs, send raw, ready to pop into oven
- chicken bottoms. I like skin off, with mayo mixture on it, crumb mixture on top, send raw ready to bake
- cut up pepper, squash, mushroom, onion on bottom of pan. cut chicken cutlets into cubes. In a storage bag put some flour and put the chicken in the bag. shake it to coat the chicken. take out the pieces of chicken and place it over the veggies. Mix together soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic cube (sorry dont know amount, I can check later if you want) pour sauce over pan. cover pan, bake 350 for hour. mix halfway through. I like to make this with baked rice. bakes same amount of time and goes well together. For rice do double amount water to rice. So 1/2 cup rice with cup water. little oil, onion soup mix, salt, pepper. cover tight. bake 350. I like to check it after 50 minutes. bakes about an hour. Sometimes when I check and think it won't have enough water I add hot water. If it's soft already and still has water in pan I uncover it and let it finish to bake like that.

If you need specific recipe I can check later.

I think it's nice if you can put a label on the pan with baking instructions

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 7:38 pm
These are great ideas ! The last one with the veggies - can that be frozen? And if yes cooked or raw ?

amother
Lightcoral

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 7:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
These are great ideas ! The last one with the veggies - can that be frozen? And if yes cooked or raw ?

I never froze it but I can't see why it shouldn't work. You can probably freeze it raw.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen