Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Tuition raised 2k per child to cover teacher’s bloated salar
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 7:26 pm
With more than one child in the school I am at a loss! How is raising tuition 2k this year ok? I cannot afford it and am at my wits end. And no my salary hasn’t gone up a blessed nickel. BH I am counting my blessings but this is absurd. 2k!!!

amother
Tan

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 7:35 pm
Can you ask for a break?

amother
NeonGreen

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 7:41 pm
There was a long thread about this last week.

OP, I'm with you.

People are gonna say, "the teachers' expenses went up." Guess what? Everyone's expenses went up. And neither dh or myself are getting raises.

I have no problem with teachers getting raises. But the schools have to fundraise the money from somewhere else. Raising tuition on parents who are struggling is not the solution.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 7:43 pm
How do we know it's to give teachers raises?

nylon

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 7:44 pm
Without teachers, you don't have a school.

What would you do if they quit instead?

Depending on what kind of school you send to, and what they are paying, there could be a lot of answers about why this happened and whether it was necessary.

nylon

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 7:45 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
How do we know it's to give teachers raises?

Since ~90% is payroll it's a reasonable assumption that much of it is, but yes: all the other costs for the school have gone up, too.

amother
Crystal

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 7:46 pm
You have a point that raising tuition that much in one year is not okay. But the teachers salaries aren’t bloated. They’re probably still below where they should be even with a raise. And probably half or more of the tuition increase isn’t going to the teachers but the schools increased expenses.

amother
Hunter

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 7:46 pm
Your title is nasty. I doubt you actually know what the teachers in your kids school make.

Imagine you work in a clothing store as a saleslady. You get a raise after working hard for many years... I go clothing shopping and post : "Clothing went up 50% to pay for OPs bloated salary."

Sympathies for your increased expenses nonetheless.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 7:47 pm
Um I'm a teacher and in no way it's my salary bloated.... Not only that but they raised my tuition by $5000 yes $5000 last year. Possibly to help pay for the very nice sized salaries of a few people who they brought in from out of town. Ex new dean or principal

amother
Tan

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 7:48 pm
How much is tuition? For what age?

amother
Maple

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 7:50 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
How much is tuition? For what age?

Also curious about this. In the last thread that ppl were complaining about tuition raises in Lakewood it was still no where near the tuition we pay in other tri-state areas.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 7:51 pm
The letter clearly states “in light of committing to raise our teacher’s salaries….we are adjusting the tuition…”. So they’re not exactly trying to hide the story.
Regarding asking for a break, of course I’ll ask for a break but heres the thing-I work and my husband works so we’re obviously wealthy right? Not to mention that we spend less than everyone we know who doesnt work but thats not my point. Regardless if they give us a break of say 500$ from the goodness of their hearts we’re still left with a 1,500$ increase per child!!
I can’t do this anymore…and if I hear another teacher who works two hours a day complain about their low salary I will smash my head on a wall.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 7:54 pm
nylon wrote:
Without teachers, you don't have a school.

What would you do if they quit instead?

Depending on what kind of school you send to, and what they are paying, there could be a lot of answers about why this happened and whether it was necessary.

Who said all the teachers will quit if they don't get a raise? Neither myself nor dh have gotten raises and we did not quit. I know many other people who have not gotten raises in this economy, and did not quit.

This "threat" of all the teachers quitting is used all the time. It"s ridiculous.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 7:55 pm
amother [ Hunter ] wrote:
Your title is nasty. I doubt you actually know what the teachers in your kids school make.

Imagine you work in a clothing store as a saleslady. You get a raise after working hard for many years... I go clothing shopping and post : "Clothing went up 50% to pay for OPs bloated salary."

Sympathies for your increased expenses nonetheless.

I actually do know what the teacher's in that school make because my friend teaches there and it is bloated, even my friend agrees with it so please dont say I dont know what the teachers make

amother
Daylily

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 8:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I actually do know what the teacher's in that school make because my friend teaches there and it is bloated, even my friend agrees with it so please dont say I dont know what the teachers make

Can you share a ballpark number. As a teacher im curious

amother
Gardenia

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 8:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The letter clearly states “in light of committing to raise our teacher’s salaries….we are adjusting the tuition…”. So they’re not exactly trying to hide the story.
Regarding asking for a break, of course I’ll ask for a break but heres the thing-I work and my husband works so we’re obviously wealthy right? Not to mention that we spend less than everyone we know who doesnt work but thats not my point. Regardless if they give us a break of say 500$ from the goodness of their hearts we’re still left with a 1,500$ increase per child!!
I can’t do this anymore…and if I hear another teacher who works two hours a day complain about their low salary I will smash my head on a wall.

Every girl in my daughters seminary who is considering teaching is having the same agonizing discussion. Go in to teaching for idealism and take home a pittance of a salary no matter how many add on jobs and positions they will take on, or work for the many Lakewood companies that are actively soliciting these girls with generous salaries, hefty raises, flexibility, and perks. Not a single girl my daughter has talked to considers the teaching salary attractive. They know the actual classroom hours are approximately half or less than half the hours they will be expected to put in to prep, marking, parents, etc.

To call the salaries bloated is absurd and demeaning to the sacrifice these girls are making. I challenge you to find anyone who is making a decent hourly wage freelancing whos time is their own who is willing to teach the three hours in the classroom (for financial motivation not for altruism). After all who wouldn’t want a bloated salary for easy work. You won’t find a single person. Because teaching is one of the least financially rewarding jobs out there no matter how you compare.

fish

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 8:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I never heard of a teacher who works 2 hours a day. Not only that but whatever hours they do work they also work many more unpaid hours at home. For example grading, planning or talking with parents.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 8:13 pm
Maybe you can get a larger break?

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 8:15 pm
I just got the same letter, two days after they came fundraising to cover the salary increases Rolling Eyes b”H we can cover it but I feel for everyone who can’t.

ImmaBubby

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 8:16 pm
Never have I ever encountered the word “bloated” in the same sentence as “teacher’s salaries”.
Page 1 of 9   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics