Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
S/o Do you bring work home??
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:01 pm
What profession are you and do you need to do work at home? Many teachers think it's unique to them to have to do work after hours, so I'm wondering...do other people bring work home too? Do you get paid extra for bringing work home?

singleagain

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:03 pm
I stay late instead, but I'm single and living with my folks.

I think some of my coworkers do some work at home.

Work as a bookkeeper in a grocery store, need to either input invoices or could do the netsuite stuff after hours. Also prob reports to check over and stuff

amother
Calendula

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:05 pm
School based SLP.
I have annuals due for every student (reports that get sent to DOE and parents) and quarterlies.
I have to speak to parents, text parents, update them. I have IEP meetings during the day. I have parents calling me some nights too.

This job sucks. Wish I did something else like sheitals or makeup.

amother
Strawberry

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:09 pm
I am an OT. I love my job and I get paid well. I definitely bring work home. I have time at work to call parents and wrote reports. However, being that I am relatively new to the field, I still spend a lot of time researching and treatment planning. I also don’t have a lot of time during my day to write my notes. I would say I spend around an hour a night on notes/prep. I think this changes with more experience.

amother
NeonPink

I do bookkeeping. I sometimes need to bring home some work if I don't finish by the time I need to leave the office.

amother
Yarrow

My shaitelmacher works evenings.

amother
Daphne

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:11 pm
amother [ Yarrow ] wrote:
My shaitelmacher works evenings.

That's not "bringing home work". Those are her work hours.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:11 pm
Im an ot. I don't bring home paperwork because I have been in this field many years and I am very efficient so I get my paperwork done at work. I do spend time at home treatment planning when necessary.

amother
Daphne

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:13 pm
amother [ Calendula ] wrote:
School based SLP.
I have annuals due for every student (reports that get sent to DOE and parents) and quarterlies.
I have to speak to parents, text parents, update them. I have IEP meetings during the day. I have parents calling me some nights too.

This job sucks. Wish I did something else like sheitals or makeup.

So why not take a sheitel or makeup course?
Or do you know how to do it already? Jump in and start!
You can do just a little bit on the side/at night in the beginning while you build up and then leave your speech job when you're more established.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:14 pm
amother [ Daphne ] wrote:
That's not "bringing home work". Those are her work hours.

What do you mean - she washes and sets wigs not during "official work hours"

amother
Calendula

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:15 pm
You can do just a little bit on the side/at night in the beginning while you build up and then leave your speech job when you're more established.

I have 95k in loans. I dont have the time to do sheitals. I work FT as it is

amother
Dandelion

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:15 pm
I'm a speech therapist in a school. I do about 50 therapy sessions weekly and need to write session notes for each one.

I have approx 25 students and need to write quarterly reports and annual reports. It's about 4 reports per student per year, so approx 100 reports every school year.

I need to call parents and document call logs (date, time, duration, what we spoke about etc)

I need to call teachers/other service providers who want to discuss things

I need to prepare for my sessions, do research online, find and print worksheets etc

I need to shop for prizes/supplies/materials

I have a lot of stupid billing paperwork (clicking boxes kind of stuff) that I need to do or my invoicing won't go through

amother
Linen

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:16 pm
I work as a software engineer. I work 40 hours a week plus take an evening on call shift every few months. It's that called taking work home??

I think every job has it's pluses and minuses. Teachers are off when their kids are off even if that means a few hours of work not during teaching hours.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:17 pm
Mortgage Loan Officer here. As a mom, there are just so many hours I can be in the office. I research loan products and stay up to date on program changes in the evenings.

At times I'll be called at home early morning/in the late afternoon/evenings when clients are at a closing, or on weekends when clients are looking at homes/inputting offers and need to discuss specific scenarios. And I have to be available during business hours even if I'm not in the office to help my loan processors troubleshoot when issues arise. Usually these things are time sensitive and cannot wait for when I return to the office during my set 'in office' hours.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:19 pm
I own my own business and work 24/6. I don’t earn more than the average teacher.

amother
Dandelion

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:19 pm

If she is a speech therapist then she does not have time at night. She is spending her nights doing all the session prep/paperwork described in my post. I don't her employer will be happy if she does not get her annuals done.

I have no interest in sheitels, but I definitely would not have a spare minute to do it at night (besides paperwork, I actually do extra sessions at night because just working during the day isn't enough)

amother
Nasturtium

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:21 pm
Oiy I hate to turn this into a speech therapist thread but another one here😁 I do early intervention so I spend some time at night writing notes, talking to parents and scheduling sessions..
I love my job!

amother
Calendula

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:21 pm
amother [ Dandelion ] wrote:
If she is a speech therapist then she does not have time at night. She is spending her nights doing all the session prep/paperwork described in my post. I don't her employer will be happy if she does not get her annuals done.

I have no interest in sheitels, but I definitely would not have a spare minute to do it at night (besides paperwork, I actually do extra sessions at night because just working during the day isn't enough)

dandelion you summed it up perfectly.
my nights are doing reports, session paperwork etc.
you know whats sad? inflation goes up yet my paycheck remains the same. I get paid the same as a teacher or girl that works in an office...

amother
DarkPurple

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:29 pm
Software developer, need to run updates in the evening periodically.
I did negotiate though to get paid for this time. But yeah, this is on top of my 30 hour work week.

Many people in various offices take work home to meet their hourly commitments.

mha3484

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:31 pm
I’m a recruiter. I’ll occasionally send an email to help my boss after hours or on Sunday especially in the winter when I leave 3 hours early on Fridays. If I need time off and don’t want to use a personal day I’ll work on Sunday. But nothing that feels excessive.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics