Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Tuition raised 2k per child to cover teacher’s bloated salar
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
NeonGreen

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 9:54 pm
lasagna wrote:
Again, it seems like being a teacher is so easy and glamourous, so why not join the team? (not at all sarcastic)
I assume most well paying jobs have a good medical insurance benefit as well as disability (and some even go as far as childcare). But, while you are physically paying all your money out of your pocket teachers are as well because it just never comes into their pockets Smile
My relative has the same view and it is so negative on the teachers...don't they deserve some level of appreciation for all the time and energy they put into out children?

All these assumptions.....neither mine nor dh's job offers medical benefits, disability, or childcare. We pay for medical and childcare, and don't have disability. I don't get a penny for maternity leave.

It's just crazy that people think that EVERY JOB besides teaching offers raises and super high salaries and 401k and health insurance and paid childcare and disability/maternity etc etc

That is REALLY not the case

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 9:54 pm
amother [ Tanzanite ] wrote:
That completely depends on your state.
In the end, you will find people in chinuch living beyond their means, and those not in chinuch living beyond their means. I’ve seen plenty of both. Maybe there’s a situation that you don’t know about, and maybe there are clueless in-laws footing exorbitant credit card bills.
But I wish that teachers would see a fraction of this tuition hike.

These are federal programs.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:09 pm
My neighbors tuition got raised $4,000 for this year. That's insane. For all those asking how much tuition was in the first place, it really doesn't matter where it started, it matters how much the increase is. Yes, maybe the school was cheap before and is now closer to a "normal" price. But most people can not afford to jump so high so fast! It's really not fair on the part of the school to do this. A gradual increase is usually more doable, though it's definitely still hard.

amother
Tealblue

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:16 pm
amother [ Pistachio ] wrote:
Of course it matters. Working people don't get the breaks. That goes to the people in chinuch who are now getting the raises. The husband can be a rebbe, the wife can be a sahm and shopping all day, and they will get the break. Never mind tje food stamps, section 8, wic and everything else those people may get. But since we have 2 salaries we don't qualify for anything. I pay a ton of taxes. A ton of tuition. Work full time. No cleaning help. No eating out or vacation. Yet I am paying full tuition while many people who work less and spend recklessly get the breaks. I'm not bitter or jealous. I do what I need to do and think is right. But the truth is that the way financial aid is distributed in most schools is unfair and very subjective and arbitrary.

So why don’t you teach?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:24 pm
amother [ NeonGreen ] wrote:
What is the definition of a pitiful salary? How much are they making? I would love to hear NUMBERS. People always talk about how low the salaries are, but no one provides numbers. I am very curious to hear numbers.

In my kids school an elementary teacher with 20 years plus experience who works 8:30-4 makes 52,000. That's pitiful. She has a very important job, many years of experience, and she does her job really well. She obviously will never get much more than that and I'm so grateful for people like her who stick with it even though their families sacrifice for it.

ETA in NYC the starting salary for Public school teachers is over 60,000 just for comparison.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:28 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
In my kids school an elementary teacher with 20 years plus experience who works 8:30-4 makes 52,000. That's pitiful. She has a very important job, many years of experience, and she does her job really well. She obviously will never get much more than that and I'm so grateful for people like her who stick with it even though their families sacrifice for it.

ETA in NYC the starting salary for Public school teachers is over 60,000 just for comparison.

NYC teachers need masters' degrees. So of course they will get paid more. They paid tens of thousands of dollars for a master's degree, and the reward is a better salary.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:32 pm
So my friend is a single girl in Lakewood and her pitiful salary for the TWO hours a day she works, roughly eight months a YEAR-drumroll please-18k and being raised to 23k for next year. True the number is not high but she’s making over 125$ AN HOUR!!!!!! Do something else for the rest of the day if you want more money.
Mind you this is for a single girl, once she gets married they’ll probably double her salary.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:32 pm
amother [ NeonGreen ] wrote:
NYC teachers need masters' degrees. So of course they will get paid more. They paid tens of thousands of dollars for a master's degree, and the reward is a better salary.

No, you can get a job teaching in NYC public schools with a bachelor's and no experience and make over 60,000 in the first year.

amother
Pistachio

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:35 pm
No, you can get a job teaching in NYC public schools with a bachelor's and no experience and make over 60,000 in the first year.

You can't compare the stress and demands if working in a nyc public school and working in a yeshiva. You also can't compare the hours worked.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:37 pm
You can't compare the stress and demands if working in a nyc public school and working in a yeshiva. You also can't compare the hours worked.

Huh? I don't agree at all. I work as a therapist in plenty of schools and I can tell you that the teachers in my kids school are more invested and dedicated than 98% of the public school teachers I've worked with over the years. 8:30-4 is by no means shorter than a public elementary school schedule. It's in fact longer.

amother
Raspberry

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So my friend is a single girl in Lakewood and her pitiful salary for the TWO hours a day she works, roughly eight months a YEAR-drumroll please-18k and being raised to 23k for next year. True the number is not high but she’s making over 125$ AN HOUR!!!!!! Do something else for the rest of the day if you want more money.
Mind you this is for a single girl, once she gets married they’ll probably double her salary.

Lucky her. After twenty years in Lakewood working more hours than her I’m not even making 18k . Oh and I’m married with a house full to support bH.

I don’t think that a reflective of the general teaching scene in Lkwd. And it won’t double just cuz she s getting married.

If it seems be so great to you then try teaching! Lmk if you still believe all that you wrote here.

amother
Bone

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

So quit your job and teach. Go ahead. I dare everyone complaining to do it for one year.

amother
Pistachio

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:40 pm
Huh? I don't agree at all. I work as a therapist in plenty of schools and I can tell you that the teachers in my kids school are more invested and dedicated than 98% of the public school teachers I've worked with over the years. 8:30-4 is by no means shorter than a public elementary school schedule. It's in fact longer.

I'm talking about the stress imposed by the public school administration. The paperwork requirements in a public school doesn't compare to that of a yeshiva. And most Jewish teachers don't work a full day.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:45 pm
I'm talking about the stress imposed by the public school administration. The paperwork requirements in a public school doesn't compare to that of a yeshiva. And most Jewish teachers don't work a full day.

I'm not sure what your point is... If teachers don't work a full day they have even less earning potential. The ones who have been dedicating their entire day every day to teaching our kids for 20 years are not making as much as a new hire in the NYC board of Ed. You can keep arguing but I absolutely believe that's pitiful.

amother
Hunter

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 12:44 am
Did any one of you who are all mad about teachers salaries ever hear of supply and demand? If the schools can't find competent people to work for small salaries, they need to pay more. Even if that means that teachers make "bloated" salaries. What do you want them to do if they can't find people who are willing to make so little money per year, even if the hourly salary is technically good? Do you really want people off the street put in front of your child's classroom?

Its also completely irrelevant whether you think they deserve the money, just like you don't get to decide if the owner of your local grocery store makes too much money or pays his workers too much. Even though you pay him for groceries, he doesn't need to explain his expenses to you or why he gave his worker who has been with him for years a raise. He actually gets to decide how much he needs to pay workers to get the level of help he needs to run his store and also gets to decide how much profit he needs to walk away with to make running a store worthwhile. And no, he doesn't need to open his books to you because he raised the price of groceries by close to 50% on some items. Even though you have no choice but to buy food.
Only when it comes to schools does everyone feel entitled to second guess their decisions and decided that they employees are overpaid. Yes, its coming out of your pocket, but so is the price increases on everything else. So lets start another hundred threads about how awful everyone else who majorly increased prices you is plain evil..

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 1:27 am
This isn't about whether the teachers' salaries are bloated or not. Honestly, most people don't care.

What they care about is that they are already dedicating a very significant portion of their post-tax income to tuition. They are also often very tight (or behind) with the rest of the expenses that come along with raising a family.

A $2,000 increase for one child in one year can take things from difficult to impossible.

And for all those saying, "Get a discount," have you ever tried it? After spilling all of your private financial information, the school will very generously take off $500 or $1,000 from your annual tuition. That doesn't make the rest of it affordable.

The term "bloated" was a bitter way of expressing that this situation is untenable.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 2:00 am
Just another point to ponder, for all those saying teaching is only few hours, realize that 8 hours of chatting with coworkers in office/doing Some computer work isn't half the job of enthusiastically talking and teaching 2nd graders for 3 hours straight. That's besides the after hours prep time.

amother
Holly

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 8:45 am
All I know is that I will never go back to teaching. I loved it when I was single and a newlywed but once my own kids started school I couldn’t deal with all the demands that came home with me. Constant parent phone calls, students who needed so much of my energy. And I was working part time and got part time pay, but working 2 jobs when you have a family at home is really difficult.

amother
Wallflower

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 9:41 am
amother [ Hunter ] wrote:
Did any one of you who are all mad about teachers salaries ever hear of supply and demand? If the schools can't find competent people to work for small salaries, they need to pay more. Even if that means that teachers make "bloated" salaries. What do you want them to do if they can't find people who are willing to make so little money per year, even if the hourly salary is technically good? Do you really want people off the street put in front of your child's classroom?

Its also completely irrelevant whether you think they deserve the money, just like you don't get to decide if the owner of your local grocery store makes too much money or pays his workers too much. Even though you pay him for groceries, he doesn't need to explain his expenses to you or why he gave his worker who has been with him for years a raise. He actually gets to decide how much he needs to pay workers to get the level of help he needs to run his store and also gets to decide how much profit he needs to walk away with to make running a store worthwhile. And no, he doesn't need to open his books to you because he raised the price of groceries by close to 50% on some items. Even though you have no choice but to buy food.
Only when it comes to schools does everyone feel entitled to second guess their decisions and decided that they employees are overpaid. Yes, its coming out of your pocket, but so is the price increases on everything else. So lets start another hundred threads about how awful everyone else who majorly increased prices you is plain evil..

Because tuition is a crippling expense! Other than mortgage, what other expense takes such a drastic toll on your income? At least when you sign up for a mortgage, your expense is a static one and you work it into your budget. But with tuition being frequently changed up on you, such expenses can totally mess a family's financial dynamics.

I would love for teachers to get a better salary. But to implement a huge tuition increase in a time when the financial struggles are so high, is really wrong and inappropriate. Life expenses have jumped for everyone, not only teachers. Few salaries have made a cost of living adjustments. So almost everyone is in the same boat, not just teachers. Burdening the struggling parents with such an increase screams of self-center behavior in difficult times. As in, the teachers need to be able to get food on table, but no concern for the rest of society.

If they'd do a marginal increase, everyone would understand. But it's really mind boggling to see our fellow yidden do this to us in such a difficult year. The arguments that teachers salaries are low is not a new one, it is not something that just cropped up. To try to rectify that in times of crazy high inflation and with looming signs of a recession is just very very wrong.

So stop guilt tripping us about teachers' salaries right now. We can resume that when the situation lessens. But right now the large majority of salaries are low considering the huge price jumps. Everyone needs food on their tables and a roof over their heads, not just teachers.

amother
Pistachio

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 9:44 am
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
Just another point to ponder, for all those saying teaching is only few hours, realize that 8 hours of chatting with coworkers in office/doing Some computer work isn't half the job of enthusiastically talking and teaching 2nd graders for 3 hours straight. That's besides the after hours prep time.

In most jobs people aren't just chatting with coworkers half the day. Likewise Many people can assume its easier singing to 2nd graders than dealing with irate bosses and customers.
Page 4 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics