Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Playroom has no closet

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 12:36 pm
Were moving to a house iyh, and I am very excited about the separate family room/ playroom. (coming from an apartment where the toys were all over the place...)

The issue is the playroom has no closet for toys. Looking for ideas.
I could just buy any freestanding wardrobe/storage closet kind of thing, but I would really love to have very long deep shelves, so that the toys are easily accesible and easy to put away.

Is there a way to build a closet from scratch, with just basic shelves and doors?

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 12:43 pm
yes there is u need to find the right guy

amother
PlumPink

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 12:52 pm
Sure. Get a closet guy. They can make one against the wall. Or do built in shelves.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 12:55 pm
A handyman can build a closet for you.

amother
Tomato

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 1:06 pm
IKEA!
We have the kallax cupboards, we made it into a combination of a few ourselves, it looks great and so functional.
We bought the boxes and each box has a different toy in it. It's so organised and looks great!

amother
Firethorn

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 1:06 pm
We bought Ikea shelving and customized it to fit our needs. We have two double door toy closets that fit EVERYTHING with mostly regular shelves but two basket drawers also and more narrow bookcases on the two sides of each toy closet that fit ALL the kids' books. I love the look and the fact that there is NOTHING on the floor. There is a place for everything.

mommyhood

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 1:10 pm
I really don’t recommend deep shelves for a playroom. The kids won’t look past what’s in the front or if they do they end up knocking down/over what’s in the front to get to the back. I find the most organised is if you can keep things in a single row so I made my closets in the playroom just deep enough to fit the bins I had my toys in.I had a handyman do it but it was a few years ago when everything was cheaper.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 1:26 pm
Thanks for all the responses.
I currently have this cube orgnizer, and I am getting sick of stuffing all the toys into these cubes, and some don't fit and you can't find anything and the kids just tip it over.....

https://www.target.com/p/6-cub.....metab

Thats why I am dreaming of long spacious shelves, where each toy can be in a clear plastic container, easily accesible and visible. I don't like cubbies or cupboards.
I don't see any IKEA shelves like that.

amother
Strawberry

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 1:33 pm
If you are ready to give away the length of a wall and around 20" width in space, it is totally possible to build a closet.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 1:38 pm
amother [ Strawberry ] wrote:
If you are ready to give away the length of a wall and around 20" width in space, it is totally possible to build a closet.

This. I had my contractor do it and he made two closets suffer my side. It killed a lot of space (on the sides and in between the closets).

I'm sure there's a way to do it that's more storage saving though.

Also we did 3 feet wide each and you either get to have big shelves that are mostly immovable or a divider with movable shelves.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 1:41 pm
Any idea how much building a closet would cost? We're pretty tight budget wise...

amother
Strawberry

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 1:46 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
This. I had my contractor do it and he made two closets suffer my side. It killed a lot of space (on the sides and in between the closets).

I'm sure there's a way to do it that's more storage saving though.

Also we did 3 feet wide each and you either get to have big shelves that are mostly immovable or a divider with movable shelves.

3 feet seems extremely deep!

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 1:50 pm
amother [ Strawberry ] wrote:
3 feet seems extremely deep!

WIDE NOT DEEP. Lol!

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 1:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Any idea how much building a closet would cost? We're pretty tight budget wise...

It costed a lot. Thousands. Don't remember. I'm sure if you do freestanding shelves it is much cheaper.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 1:56 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
It costed a lot. Thousands. Don't remember. I'm sure if you do freestanding shelves it is much cheaper.

Forget it Sad

I am imagining creating a closet in one corner of the room. So there are already 2 walls. All that I would need would be shelving, 1 more wall and some kind of doors in the front. I had thought that would be like under $500 but I guess I'm in the dark ages....

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 2:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Forget it Sad

I am imagining creating a closet in one corner of the room. So there are already 2 walls. All that I would need would be shelving, 1 more wall and some kind of doors in the front. I had thought that would be like under $500 but I guess I'm in the dark ages....

Just the shelving, sans door and frame will be $500. And this was a year and a half ago before the whole wood shortage/inflation issue.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 3:11 pm
Oh well, maybe one day.

For now, maybe I should just get a plain bookcase or garage shelving unit kind of thing so that I have shelves, but any ideas to cover it? Hang a curtain?

I like this idea but way too much
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085.....;th=1

amother
Zinnia

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 12:12 am
I have the ikea pax and it's great. I got it in the largest size and it fits all my toys.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics