Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Mistreated by salesperson in clothing store
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 4:39 am
Send a written complaint to the store owner/management.
Unacceptable behaviour by any standards.

Chickensoupprof

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 11:12 am
Oh my goodness 🤦🏼‍♀️ I would scream something in Dutch but really… I would indeed write a hard worded letter. I had once though in Israel (and I don’t speak Hebrew, I do speak Yiddish though) I was in a dressing room, and there were no stuff that I could place my bag and the clothes and mine clothes, no sign where I could place the hangers really. The lady got mad at me that I placed things on the floor… do I look like a Disney fairy who can do something fun with gravity? 🤦🏼‍♀️

amother
Broom

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 11:21 am
There is a crazy lady in one of the flatbush stores that harasses everyone. She is always yelling and making up new policies. Sounds like her.

SuperWify

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 11:29 am
Omg. That’s horrible. What a mean sales lady. No, it’s not Jewish store policy. This woman sounds insane.

Crookshanks

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 11:37 am
I've worked in clothing stores before and half the job is to help find matching tops and skirts for clothes people bring in. It's her, not you. You did well.

Chayalle

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 11:42 am
Wow OP I've never experienced something like that. And I have gone into stores looking for a match and been treated decently with respect.

That woman is NUTS. I'm sorry for what you went thru, it should be a Kapparah and a Zchus for you and you should be gebentched for this!

Rubies

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 11:43 am
I just want to say, as a bystander, I would probably walk out and not shop there either.

I've done this before. Bystanders have power.

amother
Springgreen

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 12:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No, I put the clothing back on hangers and tried to walk out as quickly as possible so I could get to my car before the tears started. I'm still so confused, is it truly tacky/not okay/rude to bring clothing to a clothing store to find something to match it?

You were embarrassed in public. Please give someone a Bracha.

amother
Tealblue

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 12:17 pm
So sorry this happened to you! Not ok. And can clothing stores start having mirrors in the dressing rooms?!

amother
Petunia

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 2:15 pm
Not shocked
this is almost every store in boro park! hate shopping local for this reason
horrible

amother
Currant

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 2:17 pm
I've never had a problem bringing in something to be matched to a Lakewood store. You did perfectly fine.

Sorry for your experience.

kenz

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 2:19 pm
amother [ Petunia ] wrote:
Not shocked this is almost every store in boro park! hate shopping local for this reason horrible

I shop in Boro Park practically on a daily basis, I've never experienced anything like this. And I've definitely brought in items to match up.

PeanutMama

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 3:49 pm
Oy op. I’m sorry you went through that. That lady doesn’t sound normal. What in the world.

zaq

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 3:59 pm
Can you maybe change the title of your thread? It's visible without logging in and can attract anti-Semites looking for dirt. Your gripe is not about Jewish store policies in the aggregate but about your mistreatment by one employee in one store that happened to be Jewish-owned. "Mistreated by salesperson in clothing store" would be more correct and more discreet. No need to write like an anti-Semite.

title edited by mod

amother
Iris

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 6:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
title edited by mod

Yesterday afternoon I had a few minutes to spare and I really wanted something nice to wear for my daughter's graduation today. I brought along a skirt I'd bought for Pesach and had never found a top to match, hoping that I'd find something for it if not a totally different outfit since I'm in need of something a bit nicer/dressier. I went to a local Flatbush Jewish owned store and found not one but two tops-yay! I wasn't sure which would look better so I figured I'll try them both on plus I found another skirt that matched them and a dress that would be pretty for Shavuos. This store only has mirrors outside the dressing room, you have to come out to see how it looks. Top one, tucked in-very dressy, great! Top two, a sweater that dressed down the skirt I have plus matches the second one I'd found in the store. Headed back into the dressing room to try it on with this new skirt now and I hear the store owner saying Hey! Miss! Hey!! I go into the room and start undressing and I hear the owner shouting even louder. Oh boy, I wonder what's going on. Suddenly the store owner opens the curtain to my room and sticks her head in while I'm partially undressed and says "You can't go trying on other people's clothing in MY store!!!" Behind her head, I see every head in the store watching. I showed her the two tops from her store and said that I'd needed something to match my skirt and luckily found two things to match from her store. She said again in a louder voice "You still can't try on other people's clothing here, I have plenty of people in my store wanting to buy complete outfits. I can't waste time on people using my dressing rooms to try on clothes from other stores!!!". Wishing she'd calm down and lower her voice a little, I tried to smile and laugh it off by showing her what I was buying and saying she did even better than sell me a complete outfit lol because here I am buying three things when I came in for one! She was still angry and said again that it's her store policy to not allow things from other stores to be tried on in her dressing room. I said okay, it's okay because I'm finished with the room and I'll finish getting dressed now. She shut the curtain and told someone waiting that I'm done and she can have the room very soon. While getting dressed, I heard everyone else in the store buzzing about me. I put all her clothing back on the hangers and walked out, handed it to a non Jewish worker and said thank you and left. Every head in the store was watching me.

I'm curious how others feel about the store policy, should you be allowed to bring in something to find a match? Is it more acceptable to buy multiple items, intending to return what doesn't work? Because in a Jewish owned store that's very hard with the limited return policies. And my total time in the dressing room was a little under ten minutes, there were two other people waiting for a room. It's been kind of bothering me all day and I'm curious to hear what others think.

While she was wrong to walk in on you, she does have a right to uphold the rules of the store, and the store has a right to set whatever policy they choose. You can choose not to give them your business, as you did.

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 6:16 pm
amother [ Broom ] wrote:
There is a crazy lady in one of the flatbush stores that harasses everyone. She is always yelling and making up new policies. Sounds like her.

I thought it was her too. But her store has an open dressing room, I don't think there are private ones?

amother
Arcticblue

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 6:19 pm
Two words.

"Pretty Woman" .

V'hameivin yavin.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 6:27 pm
amother [ Iris ] wrote:
While she was wrong to walk in on you, she does have a right to uphold the rules of the store, and the store has a right to set whatever policy they choose. You can choose not to give them your business, as you did.

Seriously??? And is this the way to uphold store policy?? Store policy should be posted clearly throughout the store. If there are no posted store policy, then it's not store policy. And even if it is posted clearly in the store, this is no way to enforce store policy and what the saleswoman did is horrible and absolutely inexcusable.

Ma3

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 6:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
title edited by mod

Yesterday afternoon I had a few minutes to spare and I really wanted something nice to wear for my daughter's graduation today. I brought along a skirt I'd bought for Pesach and had never found a top to match, hoping that I'd find something for it if not a totally different outfit since I'm in need of something a bit nicer/dressier. I went to a local Flatbush Jewish owned store and found not one but two tops-yay! I wasn't sure which would look better so I figured I'll try them both on plus I found another skirt that matched them and a dress that would be pretty for Shavuos. This store only has mirrors outside the dressing room, you have to come out to see how it looks. Top one, tucked in-very dressy, great! Top two, a sweater that dressed down the skirt I have plus matches the second one I'd found in the store. Headed back into the dressing room to try it on with this new skirt now and I hear the store owner saying Hey! Miss! Hey!! I go into the room and start undressing and I hear the owner shouting even louder. Oh boy, I wonder what's going on. Suddenly the store owner opens the curtain to my room and sticks her head in while I'm partially undressed and says "You can't go trying on other people's clothing in MY store!!!" Behind her head, I see every head in the store watching. I showed her the two tops from her store and said that I'd needed something to match my skirt and luckily found two things to match from her store. She said again in a louder voice "You still can't try on other people's clothing here, I have plenty of people in my store wanting to buy complete outfits. I can't waste time on people using my dressing rooms to try on clothes from other stores!!!". Wishing she'd calm down and lower her voice a little, I tried to smile and laugh it off by showing her what I was buying and saying she did even better than sell me a complete outfit lol because here I am buying three things when I came in for one! She was still angry and said again that it's her store policy to not allow things from other stores to be tried on in her dressing room. I said okay, it's okay because I'm finished with the room and I'll finish getting dressed now. She shut the curtain and told someone waiting that I'm done and she can have the room very soon. While getting dressed, I heard everyone else in the store buzzing about me. I put all her clothing back on the hangers and walked out, handed it to a non Jewish worker and said thank you and left. Every head in the store was watching me.

I'm curious how others feel about the store policy, should you be allowed to bring in something to find a match? Is it more acceptable to buy multiple items, intending to return what doesn't work? Because in a Jewish owned store that's very hard with the limited return policies. And my total time in the dressing room was a little under ten minutes, there were two other people waiting for a room. It's been kind of bothering me all day and I'm curious to hear what others think.

Extremely rude! This isn't considered trying on clothing from other stores in his dressing room!!! What's the difference if you try on a top to the skirt that you were actually wearing that day?? I've never heard of such a thing! Even had he been right, he could've told it to you privately and respectfully. So he has two strikes.

amother
Aster

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 6:36 pm
I also thought of a store in Flatbush that has a very rude owner/saleslady. She yells at you if you don't like what she likes.......Once I was in the store and a girl came in with a friend saying she was looking for a dress for her vort. The owner was quite rude to her saying she was working with other people, she has no time for her, come back later.....I don't remember exactly but it was to that effect. I asked the owner why she said that to her and she said "she just wants to waste my time. If she was really looking for a dress for her engagement she'd come with her mother, not a friend. I looked at her and said "maybe she doesn't have a mother"
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics