Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
S/o Do you bring work home??
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Impatiens

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 9:40 am
Im a babysitter in my house (on the books).
I spend around an hour each night cleaning up. Washing toys, cleaning the bathroom, vacuuming, washing the floor.
People assume I'm "like a Morah and have all those perks" but it's not true. I work longer hours, don't get paid for Yom Tov, don't get to participate in any Chasdei Lev programs.

I had to raise my rates to cover a livable wage (because just taking more babies isn't an option)
But that means that the Morah who just got a 5k raise is spending 1k of it on me so that I can pay the raised tuition.
But if I stop working and the teachers have no babysitters, they won't be able to work either.

amother
Foxglove

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 9:48 am
amother [ Impatiens ] wrote:
Im a babysitter in my house (on the books).
I spend around an hour each night cleaning up. Washing toys, cleaning the bathroom, vacuuming, washing the floor.
People assume I'm "like a Morah and have all those perks" but it's not true. I work longer hours, don't get paid for Yom Tov, don't get to participate in any Chasdei Lev programs.

I had to raise my rates to cover a livable wage (because just taking more babies isn't an option)
But that means that the Morah who just got a 5k raise is spending 1k of it on me so that I can pay the raised tuition.
But if I stop working and the teachers have no babysitters, they won't be able to work either

This! These are the arguments that people overlook. If you raise such a large expense that affects every household, all the businesses around it will raise their rates to be able to pay for this. Teachers won't come ahead in the long run. It's the same concept as in raising the minimum wage. Require the businesses to pay more for their workers, they increase their prices to pay for that, so essentially the amount of money the worker comes home with, covers the same amount of expenses.

For example - If you earn $500 and your expenses are $450, you'll stay with the same amount of money in your pocket if your income is $600 and your expenses are $550. This is the result when you enforce a change that affects everyone in the population. You don't come out ahead. You come out ahead when you as an individual increase your skills and abilities and move up the ladder at work. You come out ahead when you as an individual increase your personal income, and not when the raise is enforced en masse upon a population.

amother
Dandelion

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 10:02 am
amother [ Foxglove ] wrote:
This! These are the arguments that people overlook. If you raise such a large expense that affects every household, all the businesses around it will raise their rates to be able to pay for this. Teachers won't come ahead in the long run. It's the same concept as in raising the minimum wage. Require the businesses to pay more for their workers, they increase their prices to pay for that, so essentially the amount of money the worker comes home with, covers the same amount of expenses.

For example - If you earn $500 and your expenses are $450, you'll stay with the same amount of money in your pocket if your income is $600 and your expenses are $550. This is the result when you enforce a change that affects everyone in the population. You don't come out ahead. You come out ahead when you as an individual increase your skills and abilities and move up the ladder at work. You come out ahead when you as an individual increase your personal income, and not when the raise is enforced en masse upon a population.

This this this

My dh works in a service field. You better believe he is gonna raise his rates when our tuition bill goes up. So now when the teacher calls for a job she is just gonna pay more.

There is a definitely a domino effect to just raising one profession's salary. It doesn't always work out as well as you think.

And many of us parents are not going to tip anymore for chanuka/purim, or ee will tip significantly less. We're not ATM machines and cannot just produce as much cash as the schools want us to.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 6:55 pm
amother [ Dandelion ] wrote:
This this this

My dh works in a service field. You better believe he is gonna raise his rates when our tuition bill goes up. So now when the teacher calls for a job she is just gonna pay more.
I was thinking that too. My dh does work for lots of rebbeim and/or moros.

amother
Junglegreen

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 7:06 pm
amother [ Dandelion ] wrote:
This this this

There is a definitely a domino effect to just raising one profession's salary. It doesn't always work out as well as you think.

And many of us parents are not going to tip anymore for chanuka/purim, or ee will tip significantly less. We're not ATM machines and cannot just produce as much cash as the schools want us to.
[b]

It’s so frustrating because I love tipping and sending something extra for the teachers Chanukah and Purim time, but like you said, we’re not ATMs and will most certainly need to do without giving those extra tips. Wait till the school says Chanukah tips are mandatory (like nail salon tips lol)

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 7:10 pm
I’m a speech therapist and do work from home usually nightly, but at minimum 2-3 nights a week. I need to write a note for each of my clients and don’t have time during my sessions to write my notes. I don’t get paid for this, as insurance only reimburses for direct patient evaluation or treatment time. The biggest stress for me is not the amount of time it takes, it’s the fact that it’s constantly on my head and some nights I’m so tired that I don’t do them and then I get stressed in the morning etc etc.

vintagebknyc

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 8:06 pm
Writer/editor/content manager. I often bring work home instead of working through lunch or staying late; I do better work when I have breaks. I always bring my work laptop home over the weekend and put in a few hours.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics