Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Cake was a bit raw on bottom

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 8:19 am
I made a marble cake in a bundt pan.
After about an hour, I checked for doneness, and the toothpick was mostly dry, just a bit moist so I took ot out of the oven.

But..after turning it over onto a cake plate, the top was good but the bottom was a bit undone. It was srull edible but there was a clear line of where the gooey part was..

Anyone know why this happened and what to do to avoid this?

zaq

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 10:46 am
You took the cake out too soon. A cake is done when the skewer comes out 100% clean, not when the pick is "a bit moist." Also, a bundt pan is pretty deep and a toothpick will test only the very top. instead, use a shish kebab skewer to test all the way to the bottom.

Goody2shoes

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 11:15 am
I always leave a bund pan in 5-10 min longer. it is a deeper pan and can sometimes take longer to get fully ready

amother
Azalea

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 11:54 am
Try baking the cake on a lower rack.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 12:43 pm
I have never been able to get it right, but my bundt pan is silicon so maybe that's something to do with it.

Amarante

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 12:45 pm
As posted, your test indicated the cake wasn't done. No mystery as it shouldn't be moist - there should be dry crumbs if any and you need to make sure you test to the bottom.

Bundt cakes take a LONG time to bake because they are dense and there is a lot of batter.

Also you should test your oven temperature to make sure it is heating up to the right temperature as many ovens are not accurate and need to be calibrated.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 6:51 pm
Thank you!
I don't like when cakes are dry, that's why I took it out when it was slightly moist.
But I'll do it again and check to make sure the skewer is dry.

Amarante

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 6:55 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you!
I don't like when cakes are dry, that's why I took it out when it was slightly moist.
But I'll do it again and check to make sure the skewer is dry.

Moist isn’t the same as not dry. A cake should have a soft crumb and nit a dry stale feeling crumb. Maybe your recipe is that good?

Also cake flour has less gluten and you get a softer crumb.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen