Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
How to get smell out of new dress

rae

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 10:14 am
Bought my daughter a dress at the mall. I can’t return it since I added a button. It was sitting in her closet for a few days and my family started complaining that our upstairs stinks. We finally figured out that her dress is emitting an intense odor. You don’t necessarily notice it right away but when it hits you, it’s bad!
Stupid me, washed it with a batch of other clothing and now they all smell.
Is there anything I can do to get the smell out. It’s like a deep mothball mold kind of smell. It’s a denim dress but now I have a bunch of tshirts and sweaters that smell too Sad

zaq

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 10:47 am
Try rewashing with EITHER vinegar OR baking soda (don't use both as they cancel each other out) instead of detergent. If neither one works, spray with diluted rubbing alcohol, outdoors if possible, keeping away from heat, flame and electrical equipment till fully dry. As a last resort, try Febreze.

rae

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 10:59 am
Thanks so much. So I put the vinegar or baking soda in instead of detergent?

zaq

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 11:25 am
rae wrote:
Thanks so much. So I put the vinegar or baking soda in instead of detergent?

Correct. You already washed the garments so they're clean; you're just trying to neutralize the smell, which detergent will not do. Oh, and use COLD water.

Household rule: use COLD water to deodorize, hot water to remove dirt. Cold water dissolves more gas than hot water (which is why warm seltzer explodes all over the place while chilled seltzer behaves nicely--maybe that's how "chilled" came to mean "calm"), while hot water dissolves more solids than cold.

zaq

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 11:30 am
As a final resort if none of the above works, try hanging the garments to dry (inside out to minimize fading) in bright sunlight, which kills mildew.

rae

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 11:36 am
Thank you so much. I really appreciate.

zaq

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 3:24 pm
YVW.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry