Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
When do you drop Shabbos gift?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 7:28 pm
If you are eating by someone for lunch do you drop off the shabbos gift before Shabbos or bring Shabbos day. It would be a dessert if that makes a difference.

mamaleh

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 7:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If you are eating by someone for lunch do you drop off the shabbos gift before Shabbos or bring Shabbos day. It would be a dessert if that makes a difference.

Depends. Personally, (as a host) I would prefer you bring it before Shabbos. Does she know you are bringing dessert? If not, bringing it early means she doesn’t have to make anything (or she can make something that goes well with what you bring). I’m assuming there is an eruv, but if they don’t use it (or even if they do) she might not realize you do & might get nervous you forgot & quickly make something before Shabbos (I would), just in case.

If it’s hard for you to get there before, and she knows you are bringing, I would call her & let her know you will be bringing “babka” (or whatever you are bringing) when you come on Shabbos.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 8:00 pm
If it is not food, I believe you need to bring it before Shabbos. If it is food for the meal, if it is ready and I have time, I prefer to drive it over rather than carry in on Shabbos (don’t want to shlep it to shul and it is often heavy). If it is not ready with enough time to deliver before Shabbos, or a salad or fruit I cut that morning, I bring it with me when I go for lunch.
Either is fine.

ETA-there is an Eruv which everyone holds by in my neighborhood. I also always tell the person what I am bringing (specifically) on Wednesday or Thursday. I once hosted and made brownies for dessert and both couples I invited also brought brownies. Had I known I would not have bothered to bake.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 9:01 pm
By gift I assume you mean something for the meal? Like wine, chocolates, a dessert, etc.? Depends how far my walk is. To a neighbor 3 doors down or a block away I'll just bring it along to the meal. If it's more than a few blocks I will do everything possible to drop it off before Shabbos.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 9:02 pm
Before Shabbos
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note