Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Advice regarding school situation

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 3:44 pm
My 12 year old daughter is not doing well in school. She is difficult behaviorally and teachers/ principals are at a loss as to how to handle her. There is also a complicated social situation going on. Child is neurotypical, no diagnosis bh. She’s just giving the school a hard time. Any recommendations for someone who could provide guidance/ counseling etc? I’m in Brooklyn

amother
Molasses

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 6:23 pm
I just want to bump this up for you. I don't have someone.

However, do you have an idea where this is coming from? How is she at home? Are things good for her at home? Is she getting bullied anywhere? Is your home a safe and happy place? Does she get enough attention? Is she having trouble with schoolwork?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 7:34 pm
Thanks, that’s so sweet of you! No academic issues at all, she may be a bit unstimulated with the overall academic level in the school. She is very difficult at home as well, but I do have good guidance as to how to handle her and I’m seeing some results bh. The main unpleasantness in my home is caused by her behavior. She isn’t being bullied, if anything her behavior towards others may border on bullying.

amother
Buttercup

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 9:33 pm
Following - I am in a similar situation. Daughter is 13 and school made us do extensive evaluations and Everything came back normal - exactly where she is supposed to be. At home she is a strong personality but not too difficult- she doesn’t seem to accept the authority of school

amother
Lightgreen

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 10:03 pm
Is her behavior just aggressive, outspoken, opinionated or is she unhappy, depressed or anxious? Like more strong personality that doesn't mesh well with current authority or does it come from an emotional, pain type place?

amother
Clear

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 10:14 pm
Call Ohel Tikvah. Had similar situation with my son and they were helpful .

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 1:41 am
amother [ Clear ] wrote:
Call Ohel Tikvah. Had similar situation with my son and they were helpful .
you’re referring to the clinic? In what way were they helpful?

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 1:43 am
amother [ Lightgreen ] wrote:
Is her behavior just aggressive, outspoken, opinionated or is she unhappy, depressed or anxious? Like more strong personality that doesn't mesh well with current authority or does it come from an emotional, pain type place?
A combination of both. She has a certain life situation which is either causing her pain, or she’s using it as an excuse for her misbehavior. It’s hard to tell the difference.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 11:33 am
Bump

amother
Snow

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 11:48 am
Maybe Relief Resources can guide you.

Someone who has experience as a school guidance counselor may be a good for for your daughter, if that person has a private practice outside of school.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 12:06 pm
Did she go through any trauma?

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 12:29 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
Did she go through any trauma?
parents divorced a long time ago. Both remarried for quite a few years. Not sure if this is considered a trauma, though it’s definitely difficult for her

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 10:20 am
I noticed an advertisement for an organization called Epic families. Seems to be based in Israel but I’m wondering if anyone is familiar with them and what they offer.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 10:24 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
parents divorced a long time ago. Both remarried for quite a few years. Not sure if this is considered a trauma, though it’s definitely difficult for her

What help is she getting IRL to deal with this? It could definitely be contributing to her attitude/behavior.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics