Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Buying House in Florida to use as Rental

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 11:56 am
Does anybody have a house in Florida that they rent out, such as by placing it on Airbnb? What area do you have the house in? Do you make money or just break even, if you are still paying a mortgage? Any tips on doing such a thing? I would love to buy a property in Florida that I can go to a few times a year and rent out the rest of the time, but I am unsure of how to go about it.

amother
Broom

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 12:44 pm
If you go ahead with this, please be discerning about who you rent out to. I live in south FL and the house behind me was purchased by a few families together for their vacations. The rest of the time they rent it out. Can't tell you how much I enjoy the wild, music-blasting parties going until 3 AM on school nights, or the clouds of marijuana smoke wafting over the fence into our yard when my kids are swimming.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 1:17 pm
A relative of mine recently purchased a house there for his own personal use, going on vacations, going for Shabbos, etc. and doesn’t plan to rent it out but will maybe allow his kids and siblings to use it on occasion.
When introducing himself to neighbors they were very nice and friendly but expressed their concern about it being an air bnb or vacation rental. They’re concerns we’re the loud music, parties, etc. He said no don’t worry, only myself and family will use it and they were so relieved.

I think if you do this you should be careful. Maybe there are places like champions gate or reunion where all the houses are rentals so it won’t effect the quality of the neighborhood or antagonize the neighbors.

mizle10

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 1:25 pm
I would assume it would be very time consuming and difficult to manage from afar. Not to mention still expensive...

singsong

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 1:26 pm
Putting a house on Airbnb around here is a surefire way of having the cops at your property every other night if you're not careful. Local residents are tired of the non stop loud music and partying and will call the cops in a hot second. Personally, I wouldn't care if the owner is Jewish and also uses the house on occasion and we're acquainted - the second there's a hint of unreasonable noise or someone blocking my driveway I'm calling the cops and the city code enforcement.

Besides that, laws about short term rentals are getting tighter and you need between 3 and 5 permits to operate a short term rental, depending on the county and city. Do some research before jumping in, and as a previous amother wrote, perhaps you'll be better off purchasing a home with the intent to rent it out in a rental community.

amother
Tulip

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 1:29 pm
mizle10 wrote:
I would assume it would be very time consuming and difficult to manage from afar. Not to mention still expensive...

Ppl hire companies to do this. It can get expensive bec they can take advantage

amother
Heather

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 2:09 pm
As a local resident who is not able to buy a house because every property is being bought by people out of state (who don't intend to move here) for way over asking price. I'm begging you to please consider buying outside an existing major frum community. You can't imagine how much agmas nefesh this has caused the local frum community who are no longer able to afford a home in a community that was very affordable until a year ago when investors took over the market. I know that there will be a din vcheshbon but perhaps people aren't aware of the huge impact this is having. So I'm informing you.

amother
Tulip

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 2:13 pm
I know of one young upcoming new community in Florida that is penalizing ppl who buy homes as rentals. And if they one day move into the house they cannot join the community.

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 2:25 pm
My mother in law owns a 2 bedroom rental house in Naples, about a mile from the beach. She included bikes in the rental so renters can bike to the beach but put a clause that if you lose them there's a charge. (So far hasn't happened.) She set it up as a "family home" and listed it as such. She has a king bed in one room and a bunk bed in the other. Big TV in the living room, nice kitchen with stainless steel appliances.
She uses a cleaning company to go between renters and clean and wash the linen. She doesn't rent it for less than 5 days to avoid people renting it just for a party. She also made sure to set it up fancy so that she can charge enough so that it isn't in some college kids budget. Lastly, read reviews on customers before approving requests.
You can ask me more questions if you have any.
She hasn't had any issues with neighbors, however she once had a break in and appliances stolen (she thinks it was someone that did work on the property).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics