Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Would you buy a wig that doesn’t say it’s kosher but…

Would you buy a wig that’s not from a kosher seller but has kosher hair (I hope)?
Yes  
 67%  [ 41 ]
No  
 14%  [ 9 ]
Not sure  
 6%  [ 4 ]
I’d have to ask my Rav  
 11%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 61

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 5:58 pm
It uses hair from kosher places/countries? Would you trust it? It’s been really tempting because they are affordable but I’d like to hear your thoughts. (I’ve been looking on Amazon 🙈.) Thank you.

amother
Glitter

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 6:08 pm
I don't look for kosher wigs. A wig doesn't need a hechsher. Rav Belsky confirmed that hair from India is not avoda zara.

amother
Watermelon

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 6:24 pm
amother [ Glitter ] wrote:
I don't look for kosher wigs. A wig doesn't need a hechsher. Rav Belsky confirmed that hair from India is not avoda zara.

Yep, exactly. We've begun expanding this kosher business to so much more than food, it makes no sense. Kosher wigs, kosher phones, kosher plastic goods, kosher makeup, kosher cosmetics. Soon we we'll have kosher shoes and kosher furniture and kosher cars.

Imo, it's cheapening the actual kosher concept. The kosher concept was something that everyone kept in high esteem, and kashrus stayed intact all through the years. But if we apply it to phones and non-food items, it's going to weaken that concept. Kosher phones and kosher wigs are items that a large majority of yidden don't ascribe to. It's not considered a necessity to yiddishkeit. It is something that some people just hold by or apply as a chumrah. If that the thought process that will become connected to the kosher concept, future generations may connect that to food as well.

We can use other means to advise people of concerns. Kashrus is too an important thing to hijack for lesser purposes.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 6:30 pm
Huh?
We go by rav belsky's psak.

Sefardi yeshivish...

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 6:38 pm
Yeah you can ask your Rav but the hair is fine

amother
Lightgray

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 6:41 pm
To paraphrase Rabbi Belsky
"Wear your sheitels, drink your water, dont carry(use the eruv)"
He was our posek and that is how we hold.

amother
Pink

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 6:46 pm
I don't hold that a wig needs a hechsher. But even if I did, I'm absolutely certain that most of the labels are just fake copies. You can find thousands of wigs from China with a hechsher sewn in and I guarantee you that the Chinese factory owner just copied one he got his hands on and is NOT actually paying a rav hamachshir. Same for most wigs being sold elsewhere. Unless you call the rav whose name is listed, consider it meaningless.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 6:47 pm
I’ve literally never heard that a wig has to be kosher. Married x 11 years

amother
Daisy

Post Sat, May 28 2022, 10:38 pm
This is not a thing! You're good.
I'm super frum and married 11 years.

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 28 2022, 10:39 pm
Delete

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 28 2022, 10:41 pm
amother [ Glitter ] wrote:

**Okay, I guess what I meant to say was, not to buy a “kosher” wig from a sheitel Machor or a kosher wig store but from somewhere else (Amazon, Ali Express) that has kosher hair like from Brazil, Russia, etc…

I wasn’t thinking along the lines of getting a hechsher from a Rabbi.

Sorry for the confusion. Ty for your responses!!

amother
Lemonlime

Post Sat, May 28 2022, 10:42 pm
So crazy because when I asked on ima mother for help finding a wig they all jumped on me that it was Avoda Zora

amother
Pink

Post Sat, May 28 2022, 10:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
**Okay, I guess what I meant to say was, not to buy a “kosher” wig from a sheitel Machor or a kosher wig store but from somewhere else (Amazon, Ali Express) that has kosher hair like from Brazil, Russia, etc…

I wasn’t thinking along the lines of getting a hechsher from a Rabbi.

Sorry for the confusion. Ty for your responses!!

What's the difference? Where do you think they get their wigs?

amother
Aqua

Post Sat, May 28 2022, 11:29 pm
We follow rav belsky and dont worry about the source of the hair
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels