Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Kedusha after having baby
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 1:22 pm
What’s the story? I’m supposed to go to shul and participate in kedusha? It can only be kedusha and not anything else? My husband thought borchu tonight was fine also but he wasn’t sure. Also curious, anyone know the reason for this? Tysm!

Not_in_my_town

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 1:26 pm
I was "adopted" by a dayan's family. After I had my first baby, he said I should just hear Borchu. They made a minyan in the house for maariv.

Honestly, after the other babies, I didn't do anything... Forgot about it and still don't know the reason for doing so.

amother
Brass

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 2:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What’s the story? I’m supposed to go to shul and participate in kedusha? It can only be kedusha and not anything else? My husband thought borchu tonight was fine also but he wasn’t sure. Also curious, anyone know the reason for this? Tysm!

The first place my family goes when going out and about for the first time after a baby (in theory) is shul to answer amen and yehei shmei Rabbah to kaddish.

I was told that it's because the first place you should go is somewhere holy to show hakoros hatov to Hkb"H. I think I also heard It's also in place of benching gomel for those that don't.

In the olden days ladies stayed put for a while after baby and leaving the house for the first time was a big deal. Nowendays some of us are in the Walmart the day we come home from the hospital. I don't sweat making an emergency diaper or milk run before going to shul but I do make an effort to go as soon as I'm up for it and before I'm really running around.

amother
Clover

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 2:53 pm
First place we go after birth is to hear and answer Borchu.
To thank Hashem.

Never heard about kedusha but sounds nice

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 3:19 pm
Never heard of either of these 2 things. I’m ashkenaz and litvish. Is this a different “sect”?

pause

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 3:23 pm
My DH usually brings a minyan ma'ariv to our house for me to hear borchu a few days after giving birth. After the last baby, somehow he didn't manage it so I went to a nearby shul to hear ma'ariv.

I think the idea is for the woman to give thanks for giving birth and coming out alive, but since she can't do it herself, she is yotzei by hearing it being said. But I'm not sure.

amother
Dustypink

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 3:39 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
Never heard of either of these 2 things. I’m ashkenaz and litvish. Is this a different “sect”?

Never heard of this either. I didn't go to shul until I went to mikveh with my first or second. Mostly because I was overwhelmed and busy. I did go to minyan to say hagomel.

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 3:44 pm
Just borchu here

amother
Watermelon

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 3:59 pm
amother [ Dustypink ] wrote:
Never heard of this either. I didn't go to shul until I went to mikveh with my first or second. Mostly because I was overwhelmed and busy. I did go to minyan to say hagomel.

So that's exactly what's behind this. After giving birth you'd theoretically need to say hagomel but a lot of us don't, I don't know the reason. Instead we answer amein to a minyan saying barchu or kedusha.

amother
Raspberry

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 4:13 pm

Litvish, went to hear kaddish in shul...

amother
Brass

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 4:38 pm

I'm yeshivish in Lakewood.

Don't know if I count as litvish for this as we daven nusach sfard. This may come from that same (chassidish) mesorah in the alter heim. Dunno.

amother
Brass

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 4:39 pm
I will say that many of my neighbors do this, from all backgrounds. I live in a regular yeshivish neighborhood in Lakewood.

WitchKitty

Post Sat, May 28 2022, 2:07 pm
I understood it's instead of Hagomel.
When I gave birth it was during COVID, so I went to a 'street minyan' near the building next door to hear kaddish.

Aylat

Post Sat, May 28 2022, 2:27 pm
Why don't people say hagomel? Where I live, women normally say hagomel at the bris (if a boy) or kiddush (if a girl).

Sesame

Post Sat, May 28 2022, 2:48 pm
Never heard about Kedusha
Some say Gomel if it is their minhag, other ladies will hear Baruch hu

Sesame

Post Sat, May 28 2022, 2:51 pm
Aylat wrote:
Why don't people say hagomel? Where I live, women normally say hagomel at the bris (if a boy) or kiddush (if a girl).

Because not everyone has the same minhagim…

Aylat

Post Sat, May 28 2022, 3:52 pm
Sesame wrote:
Because not everyone has the same minhagim…

Obviously. Just interested, never heard of not saying. I actually thought it was halacha to bentch gomel. I guess not. Learn something new every day.

amother
Brass

Post Sat, May 28 2022, 10:48 pm
I think gomel is common in EY.

In America it's pretty uncommon.

amother
Brass

Post Sat, May 28 2022, 10:51 pm
I think gomel is common in EY.

In America it's pretty uncommon.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Sat, May 28 2022, 10:52 pm

It's chassidish
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics