Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How to make it out of this month alive!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Alyssum

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 6:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No agencies allow you to "move up" I mentioned earlier that I get paid the same as the new CF, or as my friend who is a veteran in the school. DOE jobs are hard to come by and I applied through the portal as well I dont know what else to do to get one of those coveted positions, and hospital jobs have drawbacks as well.

You can say from now until tomorrow to view it through a positive lens- BH I have a masters degree, BH I can make a difference in peoples lives, BH I am good at it, but... the money is just not enough to sustain a family.

I dont know how you do it if your dh is a rebbe and you have a big family. I only have 1 baby and were drowning.

I have to reevaluate like you said and just try to apply to other jobs maybe different settings like a SNF or outpatient rehab I dunno...

Op Just wondering do you work Monday thru Thursday 9-4 and Friday 9-12? Or do you do shorter hours?

justmarried:)

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 6:53 pm
Pls pm me or post what size your baby is wearing

amother
Tomato

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 6:56 pm
Op, did u mention where u are located? I see u mentioned achiezer. If ur in the five towns/far rock area, I may be able to point you to some resources.

amother
Oak

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 7:43 pm
amother [ Sand ] wrote:
You can do the same with speech.

So then why is everyone saying what a bad career choice it is?

amother
Rose

Post Sat, May 28 2022, 5:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hey thanks so much! ill try to see if DH can come home early this week.
Will they be doing it next thursday night before yt?
What kind of things do they help with?

were not satmar chassidish is it still ok to go?
were sefardi lol

The Sephardik bikur cholim gives out food as well. Also there’s some place on coney. I don’t know exactly bec I don’t live in America, but my grandmother gets from BC and my mother sister from the other one. I can try to find out exactly if you’d like

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 28 2022, 9:23 pm
justmarried:) wrote:
Pls pm me or post what size your baby is wearing

Thanks Smile She's 16 months kah

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 28 2022, 9:24 pm
amother [ Tomato ] wrote:
Op, did u mention where u are located? I see u mentioned achiezer. If ur in the five towns/far rock area, I may be able to point you to some resources.

Yeah were near there thats how I know about achiezer theyve been helpful bh!

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 28 2022, 9:25 pm
amother [ Alyssum ] wrote:
Op Just wondering do you work Monday thru Thursday 9-4 and Friday 9-12? Or do you do shorter hours?

I had to stop working fridays since my babysitter stopped working fridays
im m-th now

next year hoping to be back to normal m-th and fridays iyh..

amother
Sand

Post Sat, May 28 2022, 9:29 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
So then why is everyone saying what a bad career choice it is?

The people who start their own private practice aren't saying that. It's the ones who work for those private practices and agencies who say it.

amother
Sand

Post Sat, May 28 2022, 9:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No agencies allow you to "move up" I mentioned earlier that I get paid the same as the new CF, or as my friend who is a veteran in the school. DOE jobs are hard to come by and I applied through the portal as well I dont know what else to do to get one of those coveted positions, and hospital jobs have drawbacks as well.

You can say from now until tomorrow to view it through a positive lens- BH I have a masters degree, BH I can make a difference in peoples lives, BH I am good at it, but... the money is just not enough to sustain a family.

I dont know how you do it if your dh is a rebbe and you have a big family. I only have 1 baby and were drowning.

I have to reevaluate like you said and just try to apply to other jobs maybe different settings like a SNF or outpatient rehab I dunno...

You really aren't correct. There is definitely room to move up within agencies. First off, many agencies give a raise when you finished your CFY. I started my CFY in Yeled Vyalda and the pay for CFY was $50/hour and for non CFY was $60 (though you also have to switch from W2 to 1099 so some is lost that way. Then I moved to a different agency with a set salary and when I finished my CFY they raised me $5k a year. This was over 15 years ago.

I'm not with either of those agencies currently but I have moved up and I've seen others move up as well. There are therapists who are paid more to take on more complicated cases. There are therapists who move up to more supervisory/lead therapist/managerial type roles. It takes a while to build yourself up to that, and it may be easier to get such a position within a smaller agency. But it definitely does exist. I've both experienced it and witnessed it amongst my peers.

Regarding being a Rebbe's wife, I looked around my community over Shabbos and thought about the other Rebbeim's wives. Very few have positions that make lots more than me. It happens all the time. Plenty Rebbeims wives are SLPs or are in similar type jobs and manage. (But that's not the point of this thread so I won't delve on that.)

greenteaorange

Post Sat, May 28 2022, 10:13 pm
If your income is the main income you need a steady job. That means not getting paid per case/ student. I agree getting paid like this is not enough month.
However I don’t think speech therapy is the issue it is your current speech therapy job and the way they pay you.
It also seems your getting paid monthly? If you are paid weekly or biweekly you will see more money and not be as stressed.
There are other speech therapy jobs that will pay you or garuntee your pay but you are not taking those other jobs
You can also work at a therapy center after school hours to get extra income
Student loans — you might be able to pay less per month which might be necessary for you right now

amother
Tomato

Post Sat, May 28 2022, 10:15 pm
Op there are Gemach’s in your area. Levli gemach is in bayswater, and Genack has a gemach up to size 2. I can also connect you with someone who gets catered food that is extra and distributes to pple in the far rock area. Also when u speak to achiezer about finances, ask them to help connect you to other resources to get u through this time. Sometimes they distribute gourmet glatt cards before yt etc. this is a very wealthy area in general and there’s a lot of help and people really happy to help if you need it.

amother
Bergamot

Post Sat, May 28 2022, 10:38 pm
Just placed an order for clothes for her and also have things from my daughter to give you

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 28 2022, 11:10 pm
amother [ Sand ] wrote:
You really aren't correct. There is definitely room to move up within agencies. First off, many agencies give a raise when you finished your CFY. I started my CFY in Yeled Vyalda and the pay for CFY was $50/hour and for non CFY was $60 (though you also have to switch from W2 to 1099 so some is lost that way. Then I moved to a different agency with a set salary and when I finished my CFY they raised me $5k a year. This was over 15 years ago.

I'm not with either of those agencies currently but I have moved up and I've seen others move up as well. There are therapists who are paid more to take on more complicated cases. There are therapists who move up to more supervisory/lead therapist/managerial type roles. It takes a while to build yourself up to that, and it may be easier to get such a position within a smaller agency. But it definitely does exist. I've both experienced it and witnessed it amongst my peers.

Regarding being a Rebbe's wife, I looked around my community over Shabbos and thought about the other Rebbeim's wives. Very few have positions that make lots more than me. It happens all the time. Plenty Rebbeims wives are SLPs or are in similar type jobs and manage. (But that's not the point of this thread so I won't delve on that.)

ive been thinking about becoming a supervisor to CFs thats a great idea.
do you know how I go about doing that?

thanks for al ur advice its much appreciated!

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 28 2022, 11:10 pm
amother [ Tomato ] wrote:
Op there are Gemach’s in your area. Levli gemach is in bayswater, and Genack has a gemach up to size 2. I can also connect you with someone who gets catered food that is extra and distributes to pple in the far rock area. Also when u speak to achiezer about finances, ask them to help connect you to other resources to get u through this time. Sometimes they distribute gourmet glatt cards before yt etc. this is a very wealthy area in general and there’s a lot of help and people really happy to help if you need it.

thanks ill call achiezer! do u kno who I speak to about the other resources?
who is genack?

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 28 2022, 11:12 pm
greenteaorange wrote:
If your income is the main income you need a steady job. That means not getting paid per case/ student. I agree getting paid like this is not enough month.
However I don’t think speech therapy is the issue it is your current speech therapy job and the way they pay you.
It also seems your getting paid monthly? If you are paid weekly or biweekly you will see more money and not be as stressed.
There are other speech therapy jobs that will pay you or garuntee your pay but you are not taking those other jobs
You can also work at a therapy center after school hours to get extra income
Student loans — you might be able to pay less per month which might be necessary for you right now

for now its mostly my income until dh gets paid more steady iyh
we get paid once a month at the end of the month.
im going to do evals over the summer iyh and maybe some EI cases in the evening iyh waiting to hear back from the company

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 28 2022, 11:12 pm
amother [ Bergamot ] wrote:
Just placed an order for clothes for her and also have things from my daughter to give you

thats very kind Heart
where are you located?

amother
Bisque

Post Sat, May 28 2022, 11:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I had to stop working fridays since my babysitter stopped working fridays
im m-th now

next year hoping to be back to normal m-th and fridays iyh..

Im just confused why your husband can’t watch her Friday?

I think you’re expecting a lot. I assume you’re working less than five years. Your husband is between jobs and you live in a relatively high cost area.

Many people don’t manage. Many others have help if they have only one income (kollel or otherwise). Some (like me) dug way deeper into loans for schooling so we can start off with higher salaries.

We also borrowed for expensive medical things, most people can’t easily afford that.

The goal should be to focus on making as much as you can now (Fridays, be on top of applying to public school opportunities- my friend waited 2 years but then got that job, now she’s in it for almost a decade, evals over the summer).

I gave swimming lessons and babysat and worked 2 jobs when my husband wasn’t working…

The other thing we did and might not be possible depending on where parents in-laws live/ the size of their house and if they are willing, we loved by my parents for a year. It was their way of helping us get on our feet when I lost my job due to covid and it was a huge deal for us financially. We were able to save for the first time.

To give you hope. While the economy is crazy and idk how we will ever buy a house, we now comfortably pay rent, our loans and expenses for 2 kids. My husband got a job with crazy house that pays well and I got a better paying job within my field also, very different than what I thought I would be doing but bh.

Eta- I don’t mean expect a lot as in “entitled” CVS. I mean expect a lot from yourself and your career that just barely started. Don’t second guess yourself and your ability to get past this just because the beginnings are harddd.

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 28 2022, 11:54 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
Im just confused why your husband can’t watch her Friday?.

My husbands work fridays too what do u mean?
we did live by my parents for about 6 months too but we moved this past year.

ty for the chizuk and for clarifying what u meant by "expect" ... good to know were sort of in the norm about struggling in the beg. my friend who is married a bunch of years more than me told me in the beg. she also struggled. I guess no one talks about it thats why I see everyone around me "suriving and thriving" and I feel like a fish out of water

amother
Dahlia

Post Sun, May 29 2022, 12:07 am
amother [ Sand ] wrote:

I just want to point out one thing about this post- DO NOT switch from a w2 to a 1099 if you are in your childbearing years. NYS now offers paid family leave after you have a baby. You get 67% of your income for 12 weeks. It is an amazing benefit, but you cannot get it on a 1099.
I know a few therapists (not just speech, also social work and OT) who did not realize this and were not able to get the benefits.
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics