Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Has anyone gone from smart phone to flip/dumb phone?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

singleagain

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 9:58 am
amother [ DarkYellow ] wrote:
What's T9?

T9 is a method of typing on a number pad that used to be the only way you could do text messages before they were full keyboards.

By the way just Google on or look on Amazon for flip phone with sliding keyboard and you will find plenty You just need to find one that's unlocked and works with whatever phone provider you got

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 4:36 am
Yesterday I deleted whatsapp for like 5 or 6 hrs whlle at work. It was gr8 not to check it constantly. But after work I put it bsck and it had to reload everything. It was annoying. While chrome has a disable/enable option, whatsapp doesnt seem to have it. But im sure there are apps to block for certain hrs

singleagain

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 4:42 am
BrachaVHatzlocha wrote:
Yesterday I deleted whatsapp for like 5 or 6 hrs whlle at work. It was gr8 not to check it constantly. But after work I put it bsck and it had to reload everything. It was annoying. While chrome has a disable/enable option, whatsapp doesnt seem to have it. But im sure there are apps to block for certain hrs

If your phone is not plugged in. You can turn on an extreme battery saver and disable majority of apps

You can also disable notifications.

singleagain

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 5:24 am
https://news.yahoo.com/ditched......html

Saw this article.. the phone here is at least touch screen. But didn't have anything but regular texts and calls also music...

amother
DarkOrange

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 4:47 am
Im bumping this up... I decided im ready to dump my smart phone and be SMART by switching to a DUMB phone... ive already given up whats app a few years ago, and a few weeks ago my browser and set limits on my smart phone so by now im ready to give it up completely... im just the most worried about having a murder time getting used to texting from a dumb phone. I did some research on phones, ive heard about the Kyocera Cadence but I understand thats almost non existent and very expensive because of that... so I dont wanna get myself used to a phone that I wont be able to replace... Im trying to find one that has t9 word suggestions.. in understood some have only t9 and not the suggestions. Ive also heard of the Kyocera Dura XV that has t9 suggestions but thats very bulky. Id love to get one with a full keyboard slide out... anyone to help me fulfill this change?? I wanna do this NOW before I change my mind... Im looking for one with verizon service...
TIA

amother
Leaf

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 5:46 am
Good for you! It’s not easy. I did it recently. Always was a smartphone, blackberry and latest phone user. It was hard and still is. I have the sunbeam orchid phone. Look into it. I use the voice to text a lot or use voice notes . Regular texting is a pain for me. It’s a flip phone with touch screen, has a small keyboard on the screen, weather and maps app. No videos though.

Crookshanks

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 6:03 am
Maybe look into the Gabb phone. It looks like a smartphone but all it has it talk and text.

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 6:15 am
amother [ Leaf ] wrote:
Good for you! It’s not easy. I did it recently. Always was a smartphone, blackberry and latest phone user. It was hard and still is. I have the sunbeam orchid phone. Look into it. I use the voice to text a lot or use voice notes . Regular texting is a pain for me. It’s a flip phone with touch screen, has a small keyboard on the screen, weather and maps app. No videos though.

I also have this phone. It's a real junk though. Doesn't last long. But at least I can text without T9. And I also use the voice to text a lot.

amother
Topaz

Post Sat, May 28 2022, 9:10 pm
I went from a filtered iphone to a sunbeam orchid. Best decision ever!!!
For Uber, I use fruber and tremp.
For banking and other apps, that can't work on a desktop platform, then I have a tablet that I keep in my room. I still use it, but I don't carry it around with me all the time.

If you want to make the switch, take a look at the wisephone as well.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Sat, May 28 2022, 9:20 pm
I recently made the switch. I do have a tablet though but I'm able to disconnect from it. The only issue I find is with the camera and the typing but I text less often and manage when I need. Now I need to figure out the camera.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Sat, May 28 2022, 9:22 pm
Can I have regular text messaging on an ipad? even though its not ipad to iphone? I feel like that will be my hardest adjustment on my flip phone, but at least I can have my ipad for searching up old messages and for ez typing when im typing from an ipad and then the flip phone for when im out and about

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Sat, May 28 2022, 9:31 pm
amother [ Cyclamen ] wrote:
I recently made the switch. I do have a tablet though but I'm able to disconnect from it. The only issue I find is with the camera and the typing but I text less often and manage when I need. Now I need to figure out the camera.
These are the reasons I got a smartphone in the first place 10 years ago. At this point my smartphone isn’t so smart, has no browser and almost no apps (certainly none that keep me busy, Uber and my bank app don’t distract me from my kids)
But I don’t want to give up the camera and txting.

Odelyah

Post Sat, May 28 2022, 9:38 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
I also have this phone. It's a real junk though. Doesn't last long. But at least I can text without T9. And I also use the voice to text a lot.

I have it too-I did extensive research because the old slider phones I used became obsolete with the 3g shutdown and I believe it’s the best option. Why do you say it’s junk? I think it’s well made and it has a 1 year warranty. If it stops working and it’s not your fault they’ll replace it.

amother
Hosta

Post Sat, May 28 2022, 9:44 pm
I disabled my smartphone and got a flip phone to get my daughter into a school...
I really like it.
My smartphone works however on wifi, so at home I can check whatsapp and use the internet. It has a lock, so my kids cant open it. When I am out, no access. (I could go back without the school knowing, but I actually like it better this way)

Odelyah

Post Sat, May 28 2022, 9:47 pm
amother [ Honeysuckle ] wrote:
These are the reasons I got a smartphone in the first place 10 years ago. At this point my smartphone isn’t so smart, has no browser and almost no apps (certainly none that keep me busy, Uber and my bank app don’t distract me from my kids)
But I don’t want to give up the camera and txting.

The Sunbeam Orchid has both a touch screen QWERTY keyboard and voice texting, and it also has a camera. It even has a gps although I haven’t used it yet. But unlike almost all new flip phones it has no browser capability or apps—it’s approved by TAG without needing any filter.

amother
Chestnut

Post Sat, May 28 2022, 10:18 pm
Last year I got a TAG LG flip phone (LG L125DL $27 at walmart if you use it with TotalWireless) that has music (and shiurim if you want), email, voice-to-text for both email and sms (which is amazing, I hardly have to use the buttons),WAZE and a camera (but low-res unfortunately).

Odelyah

Post Sat, May 28 2022, 10:23 pm
amother [ Chestnut ] wrote:
Last year I got a TAG LG flip phone (LG L125DL $27 at walmart if you use it with TotalWireless) that has music (and shiurim if you want), email, voice-to-text for both email and sms (which is amazing, I hardly have to use the buttons),WAZE and a camera (but low-res unfortunately).
is it 4g volte?

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, May 29 2022, 3:58 am
Check out safe telecom
It’s like a filtered smartphone but the difference is in the hardware, so if you struggle with self control not allowing yourself things you’ve blocked, this is a good option.
You can choose which plan you want, comes with many of the useful apps like banking and email. You can choose with or without WhatsApp.

amother
Topaz

Post Sun, May 29 2022, 4:04 am
Odelyah wrote:
I have it too-I did extensive research because the old slider phones I used became obsolete with the 3g shutdown and I believe it’s the best option. Why do you say it’s junk? I think it’s well made and it has a 1 year warranty. If it stops working and it’s not your fault they’ll replace it.

I agree. I haven't found it to be "junk"-at least not any more than anything else made in China.

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, May 29 2022, 6:44 am
Odelyah wrote:

It broke a few weeks after I got it from a small fall. I can still use it, but the screen has lines on it that make it annoying to use. Every time it falls, it breaks a little more. As far as I know there are no compatible cases for it to protect. My speakerphone doesn't work.... It's only a few months old. But with it all, I still like this phone over others bc of the qwerty keyboard.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics