Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Do you pack your dishwasher on shabbos?
Previous  1  2

amother
Cherry

Post Sun, May 29 2022, 9:02 pm
amother [ Whitewash ] wrote:
Curious to know why you don't just shove the dishes in the oven, since using the dishwasher for haphazard storage isn't saving you any work and if you use the oven you don't have a mar'is ayin issue. I unplug the stove erev Shabbos so no lights or anything go on when I open the oven door.

Many of us use ovens that stay on for part of the Friday night meal

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, May 29 2022, 10:06 pm
Curious to know why you don't just shove the dishes in the oven, since using the dishwasher for haphazard storage isn't saving you any work and if you use the oven you don't have a mar'is ayin issue. I unplug the stove erev Shabbos so no lights or anything go on when I open the oven door.

My oven has 3 racks, so I'd have to start removing racks to stack all the dishes and bowls in there, plus a pot to hold all the dirty forks, spoons, etc. My plates are very heavy. I would imagine all of that stacked on the one remaining rack could easily warp it. And then there is also the fact that DH has been known to preheat the oven after shabbos to warm something up for himself, without looking inside first. The couple times I did slide a few dirty pants in there he heated them up and there were some plastic containers inside. Not a good experience.

amother
Oleander

Post Sun, May 29 2022, 11:35 pm

I used to store pots and containers in the oven on Shabbos, until someone turned it on one Motzie Shabbos before I emptied it. There were plastic containers in there that melted. It wouldn't stop smoking so we had to call the fire department. I the end the oven was destroyed and they said we were lucky, it could have been much worse. I have never stored anything in my oven since then.

amother
Bellflower

Post Sun, May 29 2022, 11:41 pm
amother [ Oleander ] wrote:
I used to store pots and containers in the oven on Shabbos, until someone turned it on one Motzie Shabbos before I emptied it. There were plastic containers in there that melted. It wouldn't stop smoking so we had to call the fire department. I the end the oven was destroyed and they said we were lucky, it could have been much worse. I have never stored anything in my oven since then.

Same, except mine included a pot with a glass cover that exploded all over the oven….Bh we didn’t have to call the fire department though.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Sun, May 29 2022, 11:52 pm
Raisin wrote:
just to clear the clutter. So cups and plates piled up. After shabbos I take out and rinse and restack properly. You are just using the dishwasher as a storage space.

Exactly what we do

amother
DarkPurple

Post Sun, May 29 2022, 11:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I was always told you are not allowed to load the dishwasher (even ones that are off and don’t have any lights or beeps) because it is performing a melacha for after shabbos on shabbos. This is not the way I was raised. Does anyone do this and have a source?

Shmiras shabbos, probably an early edition because mine is falling apart. Page 129.

Quote:
A person who, throughout the week, is accustomed to put the dirty dishes straight from the table into the dishwasher, where they are left until they are washed (on a weekday), may also do so on shabbos and yom tov, but:

1) he must be careful not to sort the various dishes and other utensils, even if his intention is to be able more easily to put each object into its proper place in the machine (although putting each object as it comes to hand into its proper place is permitted) and
2) if the normal place for the dishes after their use is not inside the machine, it is not allowed to put them in on shabbos or yom tov so that they will be ready for washing in the evening.

On yom tov even if I can’t wash it and someone comes to clean them for me I load them in the dishwasher because otherwise my counters looks disgusting and the smell of dried cholent or meat bothers me

BrachaBatya

Post Mon, May 30 2022, 6:41 am
We do!

Raisin

Post Mon, May 30 2022, 7:22 am

I do! my oven is full of all the dirty roasting trays, but its not big enough for everything else. Plates, glasses, salad bowls get thrown into the dishwasher.

Also be careful of what you store in the oven, in case you forget and preheat it. (ETA: I see someone alrady mentioned that danger!)

amother
Eggshell

Post Mon, May 30 2022, 7:53 am
This was a topic discussed in a woman’s Halacha emailing list I’m on (highly recommend!)
There’s a source at the bottom of the image attached.

amother
Oldlace

Post Mon, May 30 2022, 8:16 am
My oven gets filled with salad bowls, China, crock pot, pots, etc

Glasses, cutlery, serving dishes go into dishwasher.

I have a tiny kitchen with one sink.
Dishes cannot go into sink bec kids may put in milk.
If I put on counters then I have no space to prepare shalosh seudos - I have little counter space.
I was told you can’t fill the dishwasher to prepare for after Shabbos but can put in for stirage. So I try not to. But it’s hard. I don’t think I do it right.
Like if I put in glasses wrong they would break so they are placed in correctly. But I have no room on my counter to leave them there.
I guess I should talk to my rav again.

spelt

Post Mon, May 30 2022, 1:01 pm
totally agree with amother eggshell
My Rav said that if that is how we normally do it during the week ie. rinsing and then putting it in the dishwasher - then we are allowed to do so on Shabbos.

spelt

Post Mon, May 30 2022, 1:05 pm
and just to add re: the rinsing - the same way we are allowed on Shabbos to fill an emptied crock pot with water to soak - it's simply considered making the job easier, not neccesarily "preparing" for after Shabbos - we can rinse the dishes too...

Shuly

Post Sat, Jul 09 2022, 4:38 pm
I load it on shabbos to keep my kitchen clean, but I unplug the dishwasher before shabbos.

amother
Blush

Post Sat, Jul 09 2022, 10:22 pm
spelt wrote:
and just to add re: the rinsing - the same way we are allowed on Shabbos to fill an emptied crock pot with water to soak - it's simply considered making the job easier, not neccesarily "preparing" for after Shabbos - we can rinse the dishes too...

There is a מחלוקת הפוסקים on that. Everyone should follow what their Rav says.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note