Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
What ar the do's and don'ts with this invitation?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 30 2022, 1:15 pm
I've got invited by someone who is chassidish (vizhnitz) for shabbos on the otherside of town, will go bli neder after Shavuos and we are really yekkish/litvish (but not black hat) and we never went to a chassidische family. I'm just really afraid I do a faux pas. So what are the do's and don'ts? Is KLBD hechsher chocolates (Bendicks) ok for instance?

TIA

amother
Hyssop

Post Mon, May 30 2022, 1:22 pm
Is KLBD a heimish hechsher? Depending on what type of family they are, I think it would be best to stick with heimish/chassidish hechsher.
Or you can be on the safe side & bring a wine or flowers.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, May 30 2022, 1:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I've got invited by someone who is chassidish (vizhnitz) for shabbos on the otherside of town, will go bli neder after Shavuos and we are really yekkish/litvish (but not black hat) and we never went to a chassidische family. I'm just really afraid I do a faux pas. So what are the do's and don'ts? Is KLBD hechsher chocolates (Bendicks) ok for instance?

TIA

I would personally avoid KLBD products as it's likely they wouldn't eat them. I don't know many chassidish people who use KLBD stuff. Best off getting chocolates of a Jewish brand. It might be worth speaking to them before to ask them how they do things if you think that would help. Otherwise it's just follow their lead as you would in any other home.

(for all the Americans, KLBD is London Beis Din and the hechsher is often on the ingredients, rather than having a mashgiach at the factory, so some people prefer not to use it.)

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 30 2022, 1:59 pm
My DH Gateshead cousins use KLBD (for Bendicks not sure about wheat products), that is how frum my acquaintances can get. I'm BT and got frum within Chabad for few years but then switched to litvish/yekkish. I've never experienced a Heimishe or Chassidishe shabbos but I just want to know what I can expect.

amother
Glitter

Post Mon, May 30 2022, 3:47 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
I would personally avoid KLBD products as it's likely they wouldn't eat them. I don't know many chassidish people who use KLBD stuff. Best off getting chocolates of a Jewish brand. It might be worth speaking to them before to ask them how they do things if you think that would help. Otherwise it's just follow their lead as you would in any other home.

(for all the Americans, KLBD is London Beis Din and the hechsher is often on the ingredients, rather than having a mashgiach at the factory, so some people prefer not to use it.)

What?? Where did you come up with this? Of course they have mashgichim going to the factories.

That said, chasidish people in general only eat the heimish hechsherim so that would be safer.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, May 30 2022, 10:17 pm
I would simply avoid bringing food altogether. You can bring flowers before Shabbos or some other gift.

amother
Lightgray

Post Tue, May 31 2022, 12:40 am
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:

You're mixing up two different things.

The KLBD hechsher is a good one and involves mashgichim.

The London Beth Din also produces a list of products which includes both KLBD items, and others whose INGREDIENTS have been approved.

Raisin

Post Tue, May 31 2022, 4:44 am
I agree probably safer to bring a heimish hechsher. Or fruit, but not stuff like strawberries or raspberries which some people don't eat.

Funny because for years a family in our community would give us some awful hemish hechsher mints for mishloach manos etc. (always the same brand!). Then they saw that we eat bendicks chocolates and told us they had been avoiding giving them to us.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics