Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Stain from diaper rash cream (zinc oxide)

amother

Post Wed, Dec 18 2013, 9:20 pm
I got a nice big blob of max strength (40%) desitin on my black skirt...don't even ask how!
Washed it and it still has a big white mark on it.
Any advice to getting it off, or is the skirt done for?
Thanks!
Anon bc I asked ppl already

cbsp

Post Wed, Dec 18 2013, 10:08 pm
Have you tried "goo gone" or something citrus based? (make sure doesn't stain skirt first)

ra_mom

Post Wed, Dec 18 2013, 10:26 pm
Is it a white stain, or is the gook gone and the fabric discolored?

If the cream is still there, start with dishsoap. It will help break down the oils in the cream. Wash the skirt in cold water in the sink with dishsoap and work out the cream. Once it's gone, wash the garment in the machine as usual.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 18 2013, 11:56 pm
It's a stain, but there appears to be some residual "mamashus" to it...ill try the dish soap tomorrow. Thanks ra_mom!

goodmorning

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 1:00 am
On this thread zaq recommended dry-cleaning solvent. I have had success with this one. It takes some work (soaking, scrubbing) but it really does get out the stains.

Your skirt will reek like solvent (shocking, I know) when you're finished. Let it air out for a few days -- no need to wash -- and the smell will fade.

Of course, you could always dry clean your skirt. But if your kids are anything like mine (and you are as careless as I am, not to cast any aspersions on your character), buying the solvent is a wise investment. It costs as much (probably less) as dry cleaning one skirt and you can use it for many stains. (Plus, it's more convenient than having to run out to the cleaners.)

amother

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 1:15 am
I once followed instructions I found online to use a toothbrush with baking soda. But then like RA Mom suggest saw that dish soap would work and I put on some really thick dawn or palmolive not a watered down version and it came right out. I'd try that first!!

Didi

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 4:40 am
ooohhhh that happened to me me about 11 yrs ago, I ended up calling pfizer who manufactures desitin and they ended up reimbursing me the cost of the skirt.

sandyish

Post Tue, May 31 2022, 8:59 am
goodmorning wrote:
On this thread zaq recommended dry-cleaning solvent. I have had success with this one. It takes some work (soaking, scrubbing) but it really does get out the stains.

Your skirt will reek like solvent (shocking, I know) when you're finished. Let it air out for a few days -- no need to wash -- and the smell will fade.

Of course, you could always dry clean your skirt. But if your kids are anything like mine (and you are as careless as I am, not to cast any aspersions on your character), buying the solvent is a wise investment. It costs as much (probably less) as dry cleaning one skirt and you can use it for many stains. (Plus, it's more convenient than having to run out to the cleaners.)

I know this thread is almost 10 years old but my baby got Desitin cream all over a dry clean only suit. Will sending it to the dry cleaners “set” isn’t be stain or will they be able to remove it?? I already tried rubbing alcohol, it didn’t work. I sprinkled baking soda over it, waiting to see what happens. I’m desperate!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry