Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Simple side dishes

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 31 2022, 4:22 pm
I'm really not great in the kitchen. I can't make things like kugel. I'm looking for ideas of simple side dishes for yom tov that are a few ingredients I can place in a pan and put in the oven. That's basically my cooking capabilities. It will be meat meals so no dairy. I know how to make potatoes and roasting other vegetable with spices, looking for other ideas.

amother
Zinnia

Post Tue, May 31 2022, 4:26 pm
Frozen brocolli
Red pepper sliced
Sauted onion
Baby corn
Can mushrooms
A bit of onion soup mix

Bake 20 min. Longer baking will yield softer veggies

So simple so easy and almost impossible to mess up.

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 31 2022, 4:56 pm
Stuffed mushrooms (pull off stems, dice and add oil, panko breadcrumbs and seasoning. Fill mushroom caps with the mixture. Bake.)

Sesame garlic green beans (trim, toss with olive oil and bake spread on cookie sheet for 8 minutes on 400. Toss with crushed garlic and salt. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.)

elisheva25

Post Tue, May 31 2022, 5:20 pm
Fresh roasted potatoes , cut up small mix w/ oil., garlic, salt …. Bake till soft & crispy

amother
Mayflower

Post Tue, May 31 2022, 6:41 pm
5 pounds red potatoes
2 and 1/2 tablespoons onion soup mix
3/4 cup Honey
1/2 cup Gefen Olive Oil (I use canola)

Slice potatoes into wedges and spread on a baking sheet.

In a small bowl, combine onion soup mix, honey, and olive oil. Toss with potatoes until well-coated.

Bake for 1 hour, uncovered, until potatoes are soft and golden brown.

Before serving, toss potatoes to recoat with the sauce. Serve hot.

amother
Hunter

Post Tue, May 31 2022, 6:45 pm
Gnocchi (uncooked), red onion (cut up), grape tomatoes. Toss with olive oil, salt, spices. Roast at 400 for 20 min, mixing occasionally. Optional additions: black olives, mushrooms (I use whole, canned), artichoke hearts, chick peas, soy sauce (or sweet sauce), really just about anything!

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, May 31 2022, 7:30 pm
Blooming Onions- Cut onion into quarters but not all the way through so all attached, dip into egg/spices, cornstarch or flour, and then bake or air-fry.

Green beans- garlic powder, garlic cubes, black pepper, salt, oil and bake on baking sheet at 415 F for 20-25 minutes

Cauliflower- garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, turmeric, sugar, salt, oil, mix all over cauliflower and bake at 415 F for 20-30 minutes

Deli roll- buy puff pastry and deli, put thin layer of mayo/mustard on pastry, lay deli out, and then roll lengthwise, bake at 350/375 F for one hour

Apple crisp- cut up apples, either thinly or in chunks and toss in sugar/cinnamon. Then, make crumble of brown sugar, sugar, flour, oil, vanilla, cinnamon, and oats, if desired. Sprinkle it all on top. Bake at 350 F for 30-45 minutes.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 31 2022, 7:48 pm
I love this. You can tweak how you like, e.g. no garlic. But do keep the rosemary. https://www.kosher.com/recipe/.....1614.

Kosher Palette orzo which is here on Imamother.

Sliced vegetables - any kind of potatoes, butternut squash - on whatever chicken with skin you have roasting.

Near East box pilafs etc.

ETA: I just went back and see that you mention you know how to do potatoes and roast veg. I'll keep my post as is, might help someone else.

crema

Post Tue, May 31 2022, 7:55 pm
Mashed Potatoes

Peel and dice potatoes, boil in water until easily pierced with a fork.

Remove from heat and drain water using a sieve over a bowl or another pot, reserving some of the water.

Return the potatoes to the pot and add oil or margarine (a couple tablespoons), chicken consomme (the powdered kind), garlic powder, a dash of pepper, and fried onion bits (like French's or the heimishe kind), and a couple dashes of Paprika. Mash the potatoes and add enough water to give the potatoes some fluff--but not soggy.

This can be easily left on a blech to stay warm, just add a bit more oil or margarine.

jfk92

Post Tue, May 31 2022, 7:57 pm
Cabbage And noodles. I use egg bowties and keep them a little al'dente. Fry shredded cabbage (can add onion) seasoned w salt sugar and and black pepper. When Cabbage Is fried and water is pretty much cooked out- add pasta to the Cabbage and mix.

crema

Post Tue, May 31 2022, 8:06 pm
Yams with Topping

Try to use yams about the same size.

Wrap each in foil and place in an oven proof dish. Bake at 400 degrees for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

You will know the yams are done when they can be easily pierced with a fork or knife (no need to unwrap them from the foil to check them).

When you are ready to serve them, remove them from the foil and slice the top of each yam the length of the yam. Place on a plate and slightly split the yam to create an opening.

Sprinkle each yam with a mixture of brown sugar, cinnamon, and chopped pecans.

The yams can be left on the blech, in a slow cooker on warm, or in an oven until warmed until ready to served (keep them in the foil in a foil pan).

**You can also peel and boil the yams like potatoes--mash them--adding margarine (no need to add water) and before serving add the topping mixture over each serving.

Boca00

Post Tue, May 31 2022, 8:18 pm
Rice in the oven

Franks ‘n blanks
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics