Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
Fracture – short story
Previous  1  2  3

Moonlight

Post Tue, May 31 2022, 11:33 am
ml6 wrote:
I don’t either 😅 It’s my initials and my birth date.

I'm guessing she was referencing Mother in Law of 6

Moonlight

Post Tue, May 31 2022, 11:33 am
I love the story. I don't really get the title though..... fracture?

cupcake123

Post Tue, May 31 2022, 11:42 am
Loved it! Thanks so much for sharing

iyar

Post Tue, May 31 2022, 11:54 am
mi6 - UK military intelligence
I think that's what they were talking about.

DreamerForever

Post Tue, May 31 2022, 2:33 pm
iyar wrote:
Making a mother happy is a big mitzvah! Here's some advice for writing a short story that will get her daughter's name into her favorite magazine-

Start with a happily married couple with a good number (5.4 - 9.2) of children. Make sure that if you must have the dh be a professional or (gasp) working, you put in lots of references to him going to mincha, going to a shiur, or even better- giving a shiur. If mom works put in an equal amount of references to her toiling diligently in the kitchen taking challa, peeling vegetables and baking a many layered cake for someone's birthday. Offspring are delivered by the stork without consideration, calculation or other input on the part of adult characters (a few strategically placed labor pains are all right for dramatic effect). Preferably all characters belong to an unidentifiable, very machmir sect of Judaism with no discernible affiliation to any particular derech. If you want to add conflict by having someone wear a different kippa, headcovering, or work when everyone else is learning all day, the conflict must eventually be resolved by everyone getting along famously. If you add conflict with someone going (very slightly) otd, they must see the light before the end. Better and more reliable ways to introduce conflict are- shidduchim (make sure to describe actual dates as briefly as possible or not at all), or a neighbor who can afford the wealthy lifestyle the protagonist can only dream of (but who turns out to be deeply troubled).
In your little town all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking, and all the children are above average.
(Yes, I plagiarized that last part.)

You're good, girl Laugh

Op, this story is great! Such an engaging, thought provoking read. Thanks for sharing.

ml6

Post Tue, May 31 2022, 5:01 pm
iyar wrote:
Making a mother happy is a big mitzvah! Here's some advice for writing a short story that will get her daughter's name into her favorite magazine-

Start with a happily married couple with a good number (5.4 - 9.2) of children. Make sure that if you must have the dh be a professional or (gasp) working, you put in lots of references to him going to mincha, going to a shiur, or even better- giving a shiur. If mom works put in an equal amount of references to her toiling diligently in the kitchen taking challa, peeling vegetables and baking a many layered cake for someone's birthday. Offspring are delivered by the stork without consideration, calculation or other input on the part of adult characters (a few strategically placed labor pains are all right for dramatic effect). Preferably all characters belong to an unidentifiable, very machmir sect of Judaism with no discernible affiliation to any particular derech. If you want to add conflict by having someone wear a different kippa, headcovering, or work when everyone else is learning all day, the conflict must eventually be resolved by everyone getting along famously. If you add conflict with someone going (very slightly) otd, they must see the light before the end. Better and more reliable ways to introduce conflict are- shidduchim (make sure to describe actual dates as briefly as possible or not at all), or a neighbor who can afford the wealthy lifestyle the protagonist can only dream of (but who turns out to be deeply troubled).
In your little town all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking, and all the children are above average.
(Yes, I plagiarized that last part.)

Ha! I did get my first one in BH but there definitely was some of that going on in the background. We’ll see if I can stray just a little from the formula and still make it. 😃

ml6

Post Tue, May 31 2022, 5:02 pm
Moonlight wrote:
I love the story. I don't really get the title though..... fracture?

Fracture! Like a broken dish or fault lines running through a complicated family.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 12:26 am
Thank you! Enjoyable read. You're a talented writer

shanarishona

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 2:31 am
Bumping up for others to enjoy.

Just read now and it was a delicious read!

Would love to read more of your work!

beloved

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 2:56 am
Great read!

Did I understand correctly that when Meira went upstairs to the bathroom, she discovered that she had just gotten her period and that was why she came downstairs seeming a little upset afterwards?

freilich

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 7:46 am
Very well written! I enjoyed it immensely.

If you write more, please let us know Very Happy
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club