Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Any really good kid friendly pet store recommendation?
1  2  Next

benny

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 12:37 pm
Hi looking for a pet store nearby where I can take 3 kids who love animals. Any recommendations? Thanks

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 12:41 pm
Petsmart in Brick. It has a doggy daycare, as well as grooming and training areas. It also has cats, hamsters, birds, reptiles, and fish

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 1:33 pm
Don't forget that a pet shop is not a petting zoo.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 1:44 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
Don't forget that a pet shop is not a petting zoo.

This. Please don’t make a chillul Hashem.

amother
Skyblue

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 2:34 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
Petsmart in Brick. It has a doggy daycare, as well as grooming and training areas. It also has cats, hamsters, birds, reptiles, and fish

They’ve thrown us out. Like we were buying supplies for a small pet we owned And we stopped to watch dogs getting groomed. The Kid was sitting quietly in stroller watching. Someone complained to staff we were making animals uncomfortable and we were asked to leave.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 2:38 pm
Most pet stores around here are antisemitic. We went looking to buy and were treated horribly.

benny

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 3:02 pm
Right this is exactly what I’m asking. We don’t own a pet and have nothing to purchase there. Years ago visiting a pet store was a really fun (and acceptable!!) outing. I’m asking if there’s one within 1/2 hour away that we can visit and enjoy.

amother
Stonewash

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 3:07 pm
benny wrote:
Right this is exactly what I’m asking. We don’t own a pet and have nothing to purchase there. Years ago visiting a pet store was a really fun (and acceptable!!) outing. I’m asking if there’s one within 1/2 hour away that we can visit and enjoy.

Honestly my mother worked at another type of store that many frum people used to visit (including takings many kids for C”H outings ) without purchasing anything. All the workers used to talk about it and it was a big chillul Hashem. There are petting zoos that have dogs and other small animals like bunnies that you can go to. I wouldn’t take kids to a store when you’re certain you aren’t buying anything.

amother
Stonewash

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 3:08 pm
benny wrote:

and you say it was an acceptable outing. I don’t think the stores like it when people treat their store as an outing. Maybe they were nice to you but I really doubt they want families treating their store like a free museum. I’m sorry I get why you want to go but please look at it from other perspective

benny

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 3:54 pm
I totally hear. It’s just funny because I’ve been doing tons of research on all different mommy blogs for plans to do with kids this summer. Visiting a pet store is a very popular item on their lists of great kids outings.

amother
Stonewash

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 7:34 pm
I’m sure lots of nonJews do it but nobody is watching them with a microscope like us Smile

sillymommy

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 8:35 pm
Its a little far but the pet center in oldbridge has a section where you can play with the puppies, they let you pet the animals, etc. Perfect for animal loving kids. We went with our kids on Chol Hamoed and they loved it. Staff was really nice as well. Highly reccomend.

benny

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 9:14 pm
sillymommy wrote:
Its a little far but the pet center in oldbridge has a section where you can play with the puppies, they let you pet the animals, etc. Perfect for animal loving kids. We went with our kids on Chol Hamoed and they loved it. Staff was really nice as well. Highly reccomend.

Sounds amazing! Exactly what I’m looking for. Looks like it’s 35 min away. Thank you!

amother
Skyblue

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 10:34 pm
Next to popcorn zoo there is an animal sanctuary. There was a room you could go into play with cats. And could see dogs. But some barked loudly so can be scary. They may let you. Walk dogs but I’m not sure.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 2:34 am
When I was a kid, I went a few times with my friend and her mom to a pet shop. We took a puppy into a room to play with it. We didn't buy anything as far as I know. Not frum though. I would imagine a family with many kids would be more difficult for them. And if the shop is near Lakewood and gets this a lot, I can see how it would make a chilul Hashem. If you call first and ask if it's something the shop provides, they would probably be honest about it.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 3:00 am
benny wrote:
I totally hear. It’s just funny because I’ve been doing tons of research on all different mommy blogs for plans to do with kids this summer. Visiting a pet store is a very popular item on their lists of great kids outings.

Some activities that are controllable with two or three children become a lot more stressful for everyone (including the animals) when there is a larger family involved.

benny

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 7:39 am
I specified above I would be going with 3 kids.

amother
Moonstone

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 8:49 am
Reputable pet stores don't sell dogs anymore because of issues with puppy mills. Pet stores are places of business and aren't places where people take their families to "visit". I have never seen any families of any religion, ethnicity or whatever touring a pet shop or dog grooming place. Maybe years ago when it was not considered cruel to have puppies in cages behind glass or in pet store windows - but not anymore.

If you want your children to be able to interact with animals go to a petting zoo where they are set up to handle that experience.

Or contact a local dog shelter or rescue agency and find out if they have a program where people can make appointments to play with the dogs or walk them. Many programs have this option because they want the dogs to have social experiences while they are waiting to be adopted.

amother
Skyblue

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 10:03 am
Petco grooms dogs inside a glass room. It is fun to see the dog hair cut. Blowed. Styled
There is also a daycare with windows you can watch tie dogs play.
There are fish in tanks. Birds. Gerbils.

metacognizant

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 10:04 am
Yes, I was also going to say, animals shelters are often seeking volunteers to play with their animals, walk them, socialize them etc. While they might have rules about ages, this will get your kids the experience you’re looking for without imposing on a business where the employees have 100 other things to do. There are also mamish petting zoos, of course. Or you could meet some neighbors with pets who will let you play with their pets. Some parents will encourage older kids to take up “pet sitting” gigs as a way to learn responsibility and animal handling without having a pet at home.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries