Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Yom Tov Name

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 1:23 pm
For those of you who name kids after family members, how do you feel about ignoring the timing of birth?

Let's say baby is born on Shavuos and the name is just a family name with no connection to the day.

Am I being silly? Feels weird to ignore the timing.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 3:59 pm
I had a boy on Purim.
His name is not Mordechai!
Lots of people asked why we didn't, it's because he was named after a grandfather!
And no, I didn't want to add the name. I wanted him to have just the single name of his grandfather.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 4:01 pm
I think naming after parents and grandparents is a lot more important.
It's not "ignoring" the timing. It's just not using the name!
My son will always know he's a Purim baby. He doesn't need the name Mordechai for that.
I think most people name for the timing more when they don't have a family name to use.

amother
Chicory

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 4:30 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
For those of you who name kids after family members, how do you feel about ignoring the timing of birth?

Let's say baby is born on Shavuos and the name is just a family name with no connection to the day.

Am I being silly? Feels weird to ignore the timing.

You could ask exactly the opposite question:

Let's say baby is born on Shavuos and I name him Boaz, with absolutely no connection to any deceased family members.

Am I being silly? Feels weird to ignore the grandparents.

Names can be either after people, or after time of year, or after emotions/events (as many names are in the tanach), or just what we fancy. But usually one name cannot be all of them Smile

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 3:00 am
My Purim baby is Nechama. We waited a long time for her and it felt more important to acknowledge that than the time of year. Her second name is after family. And my second, an Av baby, is a boy who is not named Menachem, because that would be silly with a sister named Nechama.

amother
Lightgray

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 3:12 am
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
My Purim baby is Nechama. We waited a long time for her and it felt more important to acknowledge that than the time of year. Her second name is after family. And my second, an Av baby, is a boy who is not named Menachem, because that would be silly with a sister named Nechama.

I have an Av baby named after two grandfathers. I didn’t even consider Menachem. We were trying to squeeze in two grandfathers as is.

Moonlight

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 3:18 am
For my one child born on a fast day, we added Nechama. But her other name is after a grandmother.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 4:30 am
I named my daughter the name that I liked. Didn't name after a person or the time of year. It wasn't awkward- it was her name. Nothing else was even a contributing factor. I imagine we'll do the same for our next baby.

essie14

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 5:56 am
I did not factor the time of year into naming my child at all. Wasn't on my radar. We picked a name we liked and the name of my grandmother. DD did not need another name just because she was born at a certain time.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 6:06 am
I wouldn't worry about time of year, but yes if a baby was born ON (not around) a specific Yom Tov I'd probably want to give a connected name. Sometimes the connections can be far-fetched, though!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names