Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Is there such a thing as body resisting weight loss

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 9:08 pm
I have about 15lbs of baby fat that I really want to lose.
After pesach, I went on a very strict diet, along with starting Pilates classes. I was slowly seeing a small difference in my waist size and lost about 4 lbs on the scale.
This is the first time in my life I have successfully lost weight.

But this week, the scale shot up! I went back to my original weight with an additional 4 lbs! Crying
Is there such a thing as my body resisting weight loss??

tzimip

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 9:51 pm
Yes! That's me. I've been dieting since pesach.. being really careful and I haven't lost.

Tirza

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 9:52 pm
Yes, there is such a thing. You might want to check with your doctor to see if you’re insulin resistant.

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 9:55 pm
Yes.

Dieting causes one's METABOLISM to SLOW down.

Hashem created this to protect us from starvation - your body doesn't know there is plenty of food
around and you are TRYING to lose weight, so your body holds onto every calorie.

Losing weight SLOWLY is supposed to protect you from wreaking your metabolism.

Also, doing strength training (lifting weights) builds muscle and muscle revs up your metabolism.

zaq

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 10:07 pm
Yes. Those with a very efficient metabolism that resists weight loss are at an advantage in times of famine. Because B"H most of us have no experience with famine, those whose metabolisms are more wasteful are at a social advantage because they're less likely to become overweight. But G-d forbid there's a famine, the ones who tend to pack on the pounds are more likely to survive, all other things being equal.

However: the scale doesn't tell the whole story as it doesn't distinguish between fat and retained water and undigested food. If you take in a lot of sodium or if you're retaining water due to hormonal causes, you will weigh more until you get rid of the water. Don't weigh yourself after eating out--not only is all that food sitting in your gut, but restaurant food is loaded with sodium that will make your body hold on to water like a cactus sponge. So is commercially processed food. cut back on your sodium intake for a few days and wait for the water to be released before weighing yourself. And ideally, weigh yourself no more than once a week, if possible on the same day of the week at the same time of day and wearing comparable clothing or no clothing at all. First thing in the morning after going to the bathroom is best.

The scale also doesn't distinguish between fat and muscle. If you're pumping iron or otherwise building muscle, you could be losing fat despite the scale's unwillingness to budge. Muscle is much denser than fat, so two people of the same overall build can have very different weights because of the difference in their body composition. The more muscular person will weigh more than the cream puff.

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 10:09 pm
Excellent post, Zaq!

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 10:16 pm
Oh my gosh..
I could have written this post!
I’ve had the scale suddenly shoot up (while I’m on a diet) and it’s so upsetting. I find it sometimes means I’m getting my period. Then when the period starts the weight jumps back down

Also, if you’re not eating enough, your body will go into starvation mode and hold onto every calorie; causing you to gain weight.

Good luck! I totally feel for you ! My best advice is..stick it thru another week and then reassess. But hard bc now Shavuous coming up

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 10:26 pm
Yes. It’s the body defending the higher weight. It is arguably more important not to gain weight than to lose weight from a biological perspective
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise