Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Can I cook from scratch on yom tov

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 12:19 am
I remember something about not cooking from scratch on yom tov. I mean it needs to be almost ready or partially ready. Or something similar. What is the Halacha?

amother
Diamond

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 12:21 am
You can cook, including from scratch, on yt as long as you aren't creating a new flame or extinguishing a flame. In short.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 12:27 am
You can cook from scratch with an existing flame, for that day's meal. You can't cook on YT for another day of YT (which is why we need to do an erev tavshilin in order to do that on an erev shabbos for the next day shabbos).
So cook before a meal.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 12:38 am
Thank you

Bnei Berak 10

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 2:39 am
No measuring or weighting on YT!!

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 7:41 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
No measuring or weighting on YT!!

Not necessarily. Measuring cups and spoons can be used if needed.
https://outorah.org/p/80049/

amother
Raspberry

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 7:55 am
Yup! Nothing is quicker or tastes better then an entree of fresh Salman and greens. I still don't get why people cook and freeze so much in advance

SG18

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 8:22 am
amother [ Raspberry ] wrote:
Yup! Nothing is quicker or tastes better then an entree of fresh Salman and greens. I still don't get why people cook and freeze so much in advance

I find it easier to cook in advance, although I don't freeze- I cook two days before. Doing dishes is more difficult for me on chag, and I like being able to go into a meal knowing everything is ready.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 8:26 am
There's a caveat: one should only cook on YT if it tastes better fresh or they really were unable to do so before. Things that don't matter if they were made in advance and you do have time should be made before YT.

Also good idea to review which melachos you can do and how.

amother
Raspberry

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 8:30 am
That's yum too! I just never understood cooking so much food and freezing it, it never tastes as good and why do we need 4 side dishes?? But whatever brings you a happier chag is all that matters!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 8:32 am

Many reasons...
Night meals I don't want to start cooking, I want to start eating.... It's already around 10 pm where I live!
Day meals are nice to have a break and enjoy my morning besides washing dishes
I don't want my kitchen unbearably hot so I only leave my oven on 250 which isn't very conducive to cooking from scratch except for something like overnight roast etc
My kids that may not be staying up for night meals or don't want to wait for a late lunch want YT food so if it's already made, it's easier on me
Different items do better with various temperatures and having it static (or raising but very hard to lower unless it'll ruin the food but if you can remove the food, you can't lower it)... Well it's just not as simple as cooking during the week

I do love fresh salmon! I'm making fleishig meals though so I'll be heating up the meat I already cooked.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 8:33 am

I wish I could do that but I can’t leave my oven on 450 for a few days…
How do you bake your salmon?
I plan on making it later for Sunday night

gootlfriends

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 8:36 am
You can't use certain tools like a peeler. I plan to make vegetable soup motzei shabbos. I prepared the vegetables and will put them in the pot. My side dish of vegetables I will do the day of because they taste better fresh but all bags need to be open. I would rather cook fresh than have to reheat. Some foods don't taste good reheated. Plus to have 3 days worth of food in my fridge is a lot.

amother
Raspberry

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 8:39 am
amother [ Razzmatazz ] wrote:
I wish I could do that but I can’t leave my oven on 450 for a few days…
How do you bake your salmon?
I plan on making it later for Sunday night

Stovetop grill pan. Sprinkle salt and garlic and grill a couple minutes till you get gorgeous lines.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 8:42 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I remember something about not cooking from scratch on yom tov. I mean it needs to be almost ready or partially ready. Or something similar. What is the Halacha?

I think you're confusing it with a Shabbos halacha.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 8:44 am
gootlfriends wrote:
You can't use certain tools like a peeler. I plan to make vegetable soup motzei shabbos. I prepared the vegetables and will put them in the pot. My side dish of vegetables I will do the day of because they taste better fresh but all bags need to be open. I would rather cook fresh than have to reheat. Some foods don't taste good reheated. Plus to have 3 days worth of food in my fridge is a lot.

Not everyone holds this way. I use a peeler on yom tov.

oneofakind

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 8:46 am
I also use peeler on Yom Tov

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 8:50 am
On 2nd day Shavuos my son, wonderful DDIL and their kids all come over. Using 2 stovetop burners I become the short-order cook — omelets, cottage fries, linguini noodles to go with pesto (I'll make the pesto today).

And I also use a peeler on YomTov.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics