Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
I need a nice story about “simcha”/positivity

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 8:16 am
My dd (12) needs to include it in her speech. Story or mashal. Cant come up with anything….
Any ideas would be appreciated!

singleagain

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 8:20 am
Can you elaborate on what you're looking for?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 8:55 am
She is giving a speech about the grandmother she is named after. She has to bring out a special quality of that grandma which was positivity. She was always happy with what she had. Then she has to illustrate this trait by bringing a story or mashal about it…

singleagain

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 9:07 am
If this is about the grandmother. Why not find a story about Grandma that really exemplifies this trait. Why do you need someone else's story when the speech is about Grandma?

amother
Forsythia

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 9:09 am
There is a nice example from Rabbi Akiva in Makkot 24a-b, where he takes what looks like a bad situation and looks at it positively.

Quote:
And it once was that Rabban Gamliel, Rabbi Elazar ben Azarya, Rabbi Yehoshua, and Rabbi Akiva were walking along the road in the Roman Empire, and they heard the sound of the multitudes of Rome from Puteoli at a distance of one hundred and twenty mil. The city was so large that they were able to hear its tumult from a great distance. And the other Sages began weeping and Rabbi Akiva was laughing. They said to him: For what reason are you laughing? Rabbi Akiva said to them: And you, for what reason are you weeping? They said to him: These gentiles, who bow to false gods and burn incense to idols, dwell securely and tranquilly in this colossal city, and for us, the House of the footstool of our God, the Temple, is burnt by fire, and shall we not weep? Rabbi Akiva said to them: That is why I am laughing. If for those who violate His will, the wicked, it is so and they are rewarded for the few good deeds they performed, for those who perform His will, all the more so will they be rewarded.

https://www.sefaria.org/Makkot.....g2=en

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 11:14 am
amother [ Forsythia ] wrote:
There is a nice example from Rabbi Akiva in Makkot 24a-b, where he takes what looks like a bad situation and looks at it positively.

Quote:
And it once was that Rabban Gamliel, Rabbi Elazar ben Azarya, Rabbi Yehoshua, and Rabbi Akiva were walking along the road in the Roman Empire, and they heard the sound of the multitudes of Rome from Puteoli at a distance of one hundred and twenty mil. The city was so large that they were able to hear its tumult from a great distance. And the other Sages began weeping and Rabbi Akiva was laughing. They said to him: For what reason are you laughing? Rabbi Akiva said to them: And you, for what reason are you weeping? They said to him: These gentiles, who bow to false gods and burn incense to idols, dwell securely and tranquilly in this colossal city, and for us, the House of the footstool of our God, the Temple, is burnt by fire, and shall we not weep? Rabbi Akiva said to them: That is why I am laughing. If for those who violate His will, the wicked, it is so and they are rewarded for the few good deeds they performed, for those who perform His will, all the more so will they be rewarded.

https://www.sefaria.org/Makkot.....g2=en

Rabbi Akiva was an incredible optimist. There's a similar story about his being with some other tana'im on the ruins of the BHMK and as a fox cavorted through the ruins, everyone but Rabbi Akiva cried over the nevuos of just this scenario coming true. Because, he explains, just like those nevuos come true, surely Hashem will make the nevuos of geulah come true.
And I just heard this year that at the reason that Rabbi Akiva hosted the seder in the haggada, even though he was a talmid, was because this was the first Pesach after the churban, and they needed the chizuk that he would bring to the table.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 11:22 am
Thank you all for ur help!!
I like these stories!!

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 12:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you all for ur help!!
I like these stories!!

Oh great! I'm with singleagain. I hope that if there is room for other stories that you also feature bubby.

amother
Forsythia

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 4:10 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Rabbi Akiva was an incredible optimist. There's a similar story about his being with some other tana'im on the ruins of the BHMK and as a fox cavorted through the ruins, everyone but Rabbi Akiva cried over the nevuos of just this scenario coming true. Because, he explains, just like those nevuos come true, surely Hashem will make the nevuos of geulah come true.
Yup, the fox one comes right after the one I posted in daf 24b. I thought the first one was simpler, but you explain the second one very succinctly Smile

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 4:21 pm
amother [ Forsythia ] wrote:
Yup, the fox one comes right after the one I posted in daf 24b. I thought the first one was simpler, but you explain the second one very succinctly Smile

Thanks!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 4:21 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Oh great! I'm with singleagain. I hope that if there is room for other stories that you also feature bubby.

Part of the requirements, besides for featuring stories about Bobby , is to tie in other stories that bring out the same trait … so we need both ;-)

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 4:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Part of the requirements, besides for featuring stories about Bobby , is to tie in other stories that bring out the same trait … so we need both ;-)

I'll try to think over yom tov, beH.

cbg

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 4:50 pm
How about the story of Nachum Ish Gamzu

singleagain

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 6:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Why not look for examples in your personal life? Ok here's something small..that happened to me just yesterday. I was trying to get out of work at a reasonable time. I could have left exactly at five. But I asked Alexa about the traffic and it was bad. Plus there was rain so I decided to wait. But I had shopping to do and that kept me even later after I clocked out and then when I passed customer service they had an issue with a product and I had to help fix it and then I remembered at the last minute when I was checking myself out that I wanted chocolate milk so I ran back to grabs it and finally I was about to walk out the door and then I saw an old friend from highschool... If not for my delays and almost forgetting the chocolate milk I would have not seen her. I could choose to believe it was coincidence. But I instead think it was god

I'm sure there are other personal stories you can find about positivity ... Just like I can look at my story and say "wow what a coincidence" or I can look at my story and say "hey... God's got something up his sleeve" look to your life.... And see if you can reframe a story
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children