Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Anyone has any ideas on how to heat up food for one meal
Previous  1  2

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 1:20 pm
Do you have a really nice neighbor with extra space in their oven?

juggling

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 1:29 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Yes, literally the same thing. A timer that will go on for a few hours each day at the same time. Thats what we do every single shabbat.

If you really don't like the idea of the hot plate being on every day, though, there are halachikally allowed ways to adjust a timer - if it is the manually-adjusted type. For example, if you're using the hot plate the first day, but not any day thereafter, you can wait for it to go off and at that point simply flip off the little things indicating the timer will turn it back on. Since it's off already you may do that, since you're not causing any change to occur. Obviously check with your rav and check that your timer works the way I'm describing.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 1:32 pm
Do you have to bench licht at home that you will need a fire on? Then I would use a blech.

zoom

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 2:38 pm
I use a digital timer for my hotplate to go on and off whenever I need.
Its great cos you can do even a weeks worth of settings.

You set it like alarm clock, when you want it to go on and off...just dont forget to get your am and pms right.
Made that mistake once before!

bsy

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 2:47 pm
Sternos

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 3:12 pm
bsy wrote:
Sternos

So Sternos sound the simplest.. I am very not tech savvy so I’m afraid with the timer..
But are sternos that cheap?!? I feel like it’s cheaper to just keep the oven or hot plate on full time than to buy sterno racks and the flames for underneath etc

bsy

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 3:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So Sternos sound the simplest.. I am very not tech savvy so I’m afraid with the timer..
But are sternos that cheap?!? I feel like it’s cheaper to just keep the oven or hot plate on full time than to buy sterno racks and the flames for underneath etc

The flames are less than a dollar I think. Buy a couple extra. The racks are not that much. Theyre thin wire. The pans can't be more than a couple dollars either. And we save them and reuse them for parties, yom tov etc.

dankbar

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 3:21 pm
Keeping hotplate & oven on for 3 days will make your house very hot, not worth if you need for one meal.
Sternos are reusable so it's an investment if you have place where to keep them. Also they shouldn't be that expensive.
It seems like you're still a young family if you are going out all meals, so you dont need that many sternos. You can do 2 smaller pans in place of 1 9x13 for different dishes.
There are small sternos that fit 9×13 & lg ones that fit roasters.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 11:22 pm
bsy wrote:
The flames are less than a dollar I think. Buy a couple extra. The racks are not that much. Theyre thin wire. The pans can't be more than a couple dollars either. And we save them and reuse them for parties, yom tov etc.

But how can you reuse the flames? Don’t they use up after 2 hours?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 11:23 pm
dankbar wrote:
Keeping hotplate & oven on for 3 days will make your house very hot, not worth if you need for one meal.
Sternos are reusable so it's an investment if you have place where to keep them. Also they shouldn't be that expensive.
It seems like you're still a young family if you are going out all meals, so you dont need that many sternos. You can do 2 smaller pans in place of 1 9x13 for different dishes.
There are small sternos that fit 9×13 & lg ones that fit roasters.

Thanks- any idea where I can purchase them in lakewood?

amother
Glitter

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 12:02 am
zoom wrote:
I use a digital timer for my hotplate to go on and off whenever I need.
Its great cos you can do even a weeks worth of settings.

You set it like alarm clock, when you want it to go on and off...just dont forget to get your am and pms right.
Made that mistake once before!

Is it safe to keep oven on for 3 days on a low temperature?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 12:42 am
BH Yom Yom wrote:
Can you please post a link to the one you use?

https://www.amazon.com/Interma.....=8-14

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 12:44 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks- any idea where I can purchase them in lakewood?

I've bought the racks, sterno size pan, and flames at Gourmet Glatt in Lakewood.

bsy

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 6:29 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
But how can you reuse the flames? Don’t they use up after 2 hours?

The flames are not reusable. They get burned and then thrown out. They are not expensive.

doodlesmom

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 8:01 am
I’ve put tea lights under grates by my gas range.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 11:02 am
ra_mom wrote:
I've bought the racks, sterno size pan, and flames at Gourmet Glatt in Lakewood.

Thanks! I searched up and down the aisles and I could not find the sternos. Can you link from gourmet Glatt website?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 12:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks! I searched up and down the aisles and I could not find the sternos. Can you link from gourmet Glatt website?

I had placed the order by phone and picked it up. I think I remember it being under fuel when I searched for it, full size pan, and chafing wire. Looks like they have the wire and pans in stock but I can't find the chafing fuel now.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 12:19 pm
Here's the last item! It's under gel.
https://www.gourmetglattonline.....78077

amother
Steelblue

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 12:31 pm
f you have a hardware store near you, you can call to see if they sell the cans of fuel (what some people on this thread have called "flames.") They also sell them at Party City. The racks require you to use two pans (I didn't know this when I first started using them). You fill the bottom pan with about about 1.5-2 inches of water and put it on the rack with the fuel can below. You put the food in a same size pan into the water pan sitting in the rack. Then, you remove the lid from the fuel can and light the fuel (which is like this gooey blue gel). You can transfer the flame from a candle with a long match (probably sell these at the hardware store as well). Good yontiff.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics