Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
How much Omer did you count?
1  2  3  Next

WitchKitty

Post Mon, Jun 06 2022, 2:20 am
On the first night of sefiras haomer, dh said:
"Women don't even need to start, because they never manage to count until the end".
So of course at that moment I decided that THIS year, I'll count until the very last day.
And I did. Count. Until the last day. And 70 minutes into Shavous realized I did not count the last day.

Turns out my sister also heard him saying that and decided to prove him wrong too, and she managed to count until day 47.

So, is my dear husband right? How many of you actually managed to count all the way through?

salt

Post Mon, Jun 06 2022, 2:27 am
I counted till the end, but one of the days in the middle, I missed at night and counted in the morning without a bracha.

But that's the kind of comment my DH would make too, and it would make me more determined that ever to succeed!!

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jun 06 2022, 2:41 am

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Jun 06 2022, 2:49 am
BH every single night as I have been for at least the last 20 years.

I know plenty of men who didn't make it.

twizzlers1

Post Mon, Jun 06 2022, 3:48 am
This is the first year I made it! Well in a long time I have made it a few other times before. My daughter was super good about reminding me even when she forgot and somehow because it was multiple of seven on Shabbos I found I remember it easier to count this year.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Jun 06 2022, 4:09 am
Was able to count each night, with a bracha bh'.

chanchy123

Post Mon, Jun 06 2022, 4:49 am
I counted until the end this year, as I’ve done most years for the past 20 or so years. I have missed a day towards the end a few times.

grace413

Post Mon, Jun 06 2022, 6:38 am
BH counted all the way through. And that's with a trip to the States in the middle.

My DH and I do it together. Very romantic.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jun 06 2022, 7:26 am
Every year my husband finds an omer app and we do it at the end up dinner each night. And we even learn something about each day (part of the app
But what a strange thing for your husband to say. Why is it harder for women than for men? Especially for those men that dont make it to maariv.

salt

Post Mon, Jun 06 2022, 7:30 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Every year my husband finds an omer app and we do it at the end up dinner each night. And we even learn something about each day (part of the app
But what a strange thing for your husband to say. Why is it harder for women than for men? Especially for those men that dont make it to maariv.

Exactly that - for men that go to ma'ariv every night it's a no-brainer - unless the chazan and the whole minyan forgets.
They should be encouraging their wives and reminding them when they get back from shul.

rzab

Post Mon, Jun 06 2022, 8:43 am
salt wrote:
Exactly that - for men that go to ma'ariv every night it's a no-brainer - unless the chazan and the whole minyan forgets.
They should be encouraging their wives and reminding them when they get back from shul.

Early shabbos is the killer here.... Bc you don't count at maariv.

I made it to 49 like most years. And I find that comment to be pretty offensive

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jun 06 2022, 10:30 am
salt wrote:
Right, but I said for men that DONT get to maariv. There are many such men. And then why are men, like that, any different than women. I know many women count omer.

Chickensoupprof

Post Mon, Jun 06 2022, 6:01 pm
I never count I’m bad with numbers in general

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Jun 06 2022, 7:06 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:

It's different for us in chutz l'araetz though as nacht is very late here...
Just saying that it's obviously harder to count here.

I didn’t manage to count until the end this year. Most years I don't unfortunately.

amother
Petunia

Post Mon, Jun 06 2022, 8:59 pm
The whole thing !
I say it at night before bed, when saying shema.

A few times I’ve mixed up my count and found my self a day off, but I’ve managed to count to the end many times over the years BH

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Jun 06 2022, 9:27 pm
I made it to the end, my husband did not. I always make it.

amother
Lily

Post Mon, Jun 06 2022, 9:31 pm
Every night. Before Shma. Chabad has a website so you need to remember to count but it has the day written out so it’s not like you need to even remember what it is.

My mom got a nightly email from my nephews school and she checks her email every night before bed and checks then. She too counted 49 with a Bracha.

DH missed out early on.

amother
Lily

Post Mon, Jun 06 2022, 9:32 pm
I’m sorry, but unless your DH said “wow, it must be so hard for women to count Sefirah without being actively reminded at Maariv, Kol Hakavod to them for counting”, his statement sounds a little misogynistic.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Jun 06 2022, 9:54 pm
Counted all of it. Missed one of the nights but counted that one in the daytime without a bracha. I have an Omer app with an alarm on my phone that went off every night to remind me — very helpful.

amother
Cherry

Post Mon, Jun 06 2022, 10:12 pm
The last time I remember doing it is when I decided to daven maariv the whole sefiras haomer. For me it is easier to remember in maariv than to remember a small bracha.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note