Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Timers for shabbat/chag (food)
Previous  1  2

Do you use a timer for warming food?
yes  
 71%  [ 23 ]
no  
 28%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 32

chanchy123

Post Mon, Jun 06 2022, 5:01 am
We don’t usually use a timer on Shabbat because we find it easier to just leave everything on all day, our house/kitchen is big enough that the plata doesn’t really make a difference even in the summer. If we’re not eating at home during the day maybe we will use a timer, but usually I don’t bother (also electricity isn’t always reliable where I live so the timer can get screwed up if there are power outages during Shabbat).
On YT I do use a timer because (at least the way we pasken) it is permissible to adjust on Chag, and because I too prefer to cook fresh so I will only need the plata if it’s a 2 day chag (which in Israel means including Shabbat).
I also have a timer for the oven but don’t always use it because I can’t adjust on yt (it’s an app on my phone),

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 06 2022, 10:43 pm
WitchKitty wrote:
I don't use a timer. It wouldn't work time wise!
I have everything on the plata by 3 pm Friday (this is summertime). DH comes home from shul after 1 PM on shabbos, so I wouldn't be able to set the (24 hour) clock in a way that the plata would be on at 3 Friday but not 3 on Shabbos.
The plata is near the window at the edge of the kitchen so the heat doesn't bother me that much.

You can turn it on manually at 3pm on Friday - it doesn't need to be set when you put it on initially.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note