Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Really overweight- where to start
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 5:36 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
No, obesity is not a disease. Obesity can be a symptom of a disease or it could cause disease. If someone is obese and looses the weight they could still deal with other health problems that were caused or aggravated by the obesity.
Here's how the WHO defines obesity:
https://www.who.int/news-room/.....eight

"obesity is a BMI greater than or equal to 30."

What causes obesity?
"The fundamental cause of obesity and overweight is an energy imbalance between calories consumed and calories expended. Globally, there has been:

-an increased intake of energy-dense foods that are high in fat and sugars; and
-an increase in physical inactivity due to the increasingly sedentary nature of many forms of work, changing modes of transportation, and increasing urbanization."

Drastic dieting can cause drastic "adaptations" as you call them. However, I have not advertised anything drastic. I have even linked another nutritional website in another comment. The point is not to overeat and not to eat one's emotions. She needs to eat less for now, not forever.

People who struggle with significant obesity (myself included, at approx 70lb overweight) generally have a lot of inflammation in their body. Inflammation is disease. Putting the body into an adaptive mode of malnutrition and starvation doesn't help, if anything it makes it a lot worse. Finding the right foods for your body is significantly more important than eating less calories. Calories in DO NOT equal calories out. It really depends on the quality of calories being consumed more than the quantity.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 5:39 pm
amother [ Charcoal ] wrote:
Would you care to share who your dietician is? She sounds very practical - the kind I'd like to work with.

I've been doing Pilates for many months now, and agree with what you've said. I feel good when I do a class, my flexibility has increased, and I am definitely a lot more toned. But no, I have not lost weight.

Have you found that with walking you've lost weight? I have about 50 pounds to lose.

She is great. She eats chocolate every day!
I would tell you but I live OOT and anyway she's on maternity leave now.
I don't know if I've lost wweight because of the walking. Mainly from eating well. I learned to appreciate food, and therefore I don't abuse it. The walking definitely adds something but I don't walk a lot (20 minutes a day) so I don't think walking more would do anything.

Rubies

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 5:42 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
People who struggle with significant obesity (myself included, at approx 70lb overweight) generally have a lot of inflammation in their body. Inflammation is disease. Putting the body into an adaptive mode of malnutrition and starvation doesn't help, if anything it makes it a lot worse. Finding the right foods for your body is significantly more important than eating less calories. Calories in DO NOT equal calories out. It really depends on the quality of calories being consumed more than the quantity.

Wouldn't classify 70lb overweight as significant obesity. What

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 5:51 pm
Rubies wrote:
Wouldn't classify 70lb overweight as significant obesity. What

I guess this might be connected to height. I'm just over 5ft. My Twisted Evil doctor called me significantly obese

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 6:58 pm
I'm 5 feet tall and 195 lbs. I have 70 lbs to lose and I am morbidly obese.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 3:29 pm
Start with a doctor's visit and maybe a nutritionist too.

amother
Charcoal

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 3:55 pm
amother [ Ultramarine ] wrote:
She is great. She eats chocolate every day!
I would tell you but I live OOT and anyway she's on maternity leave now.
I don't know if I've lost wweight because of the walking. Mainly from eating well. I learned to appreciate food, and therefore I don't abuse it. The walking definitely adds something but I don't walk a lot (20 minutes a day) so I don't think walking more would do anything.

The consistency of 20 minutes a day adds up though.

Thanks!

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 6:19 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
I'm 5 feet tall and 195 lbs. I have 70 lbs to lose and I am morbidly obese.

I'm similar proportions. That's what I meant. As opposed to someone who is 5ft 9in, who may have a little more room to not be considered seriously obese even with 70lb to lose.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 1:34 am
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
No, obesity is not a disease. Obesity can be a symptom of a disease or it could cause disease. If someone is obese and looses the weight they could still deal with other health problems that were caused or aggravated by the obesity.
Here's how the WHO defines obesity:
https://www.who.int/news-room/.....eight

"obesity is a BMI greater than or equal to 30."

What causes obesity?
"The fundamental cause of obesity and overweight is an energy imbalance between calories consumed and calories expended. Globally, there has been:

-an increased intake of energy-dense foods that are high in fat and sugars; and
-an increase in physical inactivity due to the increasingly sedentary nature of many forms of work, changing modes of transportation, and increasing urbanization."

Drastic dieting can cause drastic "adaptations" as you call them. However, I have not advertised anything drastic. I have even linked another nutritional website in another comment. The point is not to overeat and not to eat one's emotions. She needs to eat less for now, not forever.

I can cite at least ten places to show where BMI is not an ideal way to measure obesity and also clear indications that HIGH BMI can be protective in certain situations.

I can cite probably ten places where obesity is defined as I described it but I have lab in the morning and way Too much schoolwork. Google what I wrote. I’m not wrong. And it’s all peer reviewed. This is a standard CURRENT description of obesity. The pathology of both obesity and weightloss is documented.

Here’s one to get you started. https://obesitycanada.ca/guidelines

Last edited by Chana Miriam S on Tue, Jun 07 2022, 1:42 am; edited 1 time in total

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 1:40 am
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:

Agreed. A strong argument has been made in the literature ( peer reviewed research) that weightloss is not benign and that health outcomes can be measurably increased in overweight and obesity even when symptomatic.

My last CRP was .6. Used to be twelve!!!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise