Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Accomodation for a seminary student/Yerushalaim
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 5:32 am
Hi. My DD has been accepted to a BY seminary in Yerushalaim and we are looking for an accomodation for her for the next two years. The sem does not have a pnimia for overseas ( or out-of town) students. Has anyone heard of sth in Yerushalaim ( ideally a pnimia with an em bayit and , even more importantly, with a good type of girls - but any other ideas are welcome)? Thanks!!

salt

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 6:14 am
Ask the management of the seminary what girls do who study there from outside Jerusalem?
Sometimes the girls rent apartments with other girls.
Perhaps the Neve campus has opportunities to dorm, for students who don't actually study there. Worth looking into.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 6:24 am
The seminary doesn’t have dorms?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 7:30 am
The seminary doesn’t have dorms?
Nope:(

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 7:34 am
Ask the management of the seminary what girls do who study there from outside Jerusalem?

Thanks, will definitely do that

Perhaps the Neve campus has opportunities to dorm, for students who don't actually study there. Worth looking into.

Well, they only accept students from outside on condition that they attend at least some of their classes- which DD will hardly have time for given that her scedule is going to look veeeeryy busy. But thanks anyway!

Elfrida

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 7:49 am
So I'm assuming that this isn't an American seminary, but is a regular Israeli Beis Yaakov, and she will be spending the next two years with Israeli girls in kitot י'ג and י'ד. If that is the case, the vast majority of girls will be local Israelis, who live within commuting distance.

I don't know of any dorm such as you describe. I would ask the school if they know of any options. Do you specifically want a dorm, or would she be ok sharing with other girls? That would mean being independent in terms of cooking and health care and so on. There are often girls apartments with room, and while the other girls are often working, some may also be students. The other option would be living with a family, which may be closer to what you want. Again, it might be worth asking the school if they know of anything.

If you can tell us what area of Jerusalem, we might be able to help more

amother
Fern

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 8:36 am
Look for a job as a dorm counselor in an American seminary. That would be a healthy normal environment with an eim bayit and responsibilities for her but mostly at night and for trips. We had two American Israeli dorm counselors and one Israeli. They did their seminary programs during the day and were with us at night.
assuming you’re saying dorm counselors and eim bayit to make sure the place is normal and not because your daughter needs someone to be looking after her.

amother
Peony

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 8:48 am
amother [ Fern ] wrote:
Look for a job as a dorm counselor in an American seminary. That would be a healthy normal environment with an eim bayit and responsibilities for her but mostly at night and for trips. We had two American Israeli dorm counselors and one Israeli. They did their seminary programs during the day and were with us at night.
assuming you’re saying dorm counselors and eim bayit to make sure the place is normal and not because your daughter needs someone to be looking after her.

Those positions are normally for girls in Shanah bet, who are slightly older and more familiar with Israel, not someone contemporaneous with the girls. It also only works if they have a less demanding program, which the OP doesn't think her daughter will have.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 8:52 am
Im a bit confused. Your daughter applied to a sem that had no living accomadations and she's from overseas? Does this sem usually have girls from outside Israel?
If they do, Id try asking the staff. If not, tour daughter will have a LOT of adjusting in this very new environment. Why not find out if there are any anglo families near the sem looking for a boarder, for pay or for exchange of babysitting or some such thing? Im assuming that all of the local girls will be traveling by bus to get to the sem every day?

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 10:33 am
OP which seminary is it? I know one pnimiya that works with girls from Bnos Elisheva or the chadash. But it depends very much which seminary it is.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 6:50 pm
Elfrida wrote:
So I'm assuming that this isn't an American seminary, but is a regular Israeli Beis Yaakov, and she will be spending the next two years with Israeli girls in kitot י'ג and י'ד. If that is the case, the vast majority of girls will be local Israelis, who live within commuting distance.

That's right, it' s a regular BY seminary

I don't know of any dorm such as you describe. I would ask the school if they know of any options. Do you specifically want a dorm, or would she be ok sharing with other girls? That would mean being independent in terms of cooking and health care and so on. There are often girls apartments with room, and while the other girls are often working, some may also be students.

She would prefer a dorm , because, sa she says in an appartment the girls are more or less on their own eachv living her own life. DD is used to living in a dorm from the high school, they were kind of a community there:)) But an appartment is definitely an option

The other option would be living with a family, which may be closer to what you want. Again, it might be worth asking the school if they know of anything.

Thank you, we' ll inqure about that, B"H

If you can tell us what area of Jerusalem, we might be able to help more
[b]

It is Maalot Beit Yaakov in Ramat Shlomo. Thank you! Any tips greatly appreciated

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 6:57 pm
amother [ Fern ] wrote:

That sounds good, thanks. However I see a problem here. 1. Shecwould bevthe same age as the girls she would be in charge of.2. I am not sure her studies would leave her much time for that. But this iscdefinitely worth thinking about.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 7:07 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Im a bit confused. Your daughter applied to a sem that had no living accomadations and she's from overseas? Does this sem usually have girls from outside Israel?
If they do, Id try asking the staff. If not, tour daughter will have a LOT of adjusting in this very new environment. Why not find out if there are any anglo families near the sem looking for a boarder, for pay or for exchange of babysitting or some such thing? Im assuming that all of the local girls will be traveling by bus to get to the sem every day?

Yes, it' s a bit complicated. She' s been on a Naale program for the past couple of years, now completing her Bagrut. And she is making an aliyah, B"H. So the environment is not quite new to her. And she chose this seminary after some counselling of course....

We thought about finding a family but I have my doubts regardig, eg. the issue of yichud and the like. Maybe an elderly woman living alone might be a better option?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 7:08 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
OP which seminary is it? I know one pnimiya that works with girls from Bnos Elisheva or the chadash. But it depends very much which seminary it is.

It is Maalot Beit Yaakov in Ramat Shlomo. Could you tell me a bit more about the pnimiya? Thank you!!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 7:13 pm
amother [ Peony ] wrote:
Those positions are normally for girls in Shanah bet, who are slightly older and more familiar with Israel, not someone contemporaneous with the girls. It also only works if they have a less demanding program, which the OP doesn't think her daughter will have.

Yes, exaxtly that. This gave me an idea, however, maybe therea high schools with dorms in need of madrichot.So that she is " the big girl" This doesnt solve the problem of time of course:((

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 5:14 am
Just bumping this up:)))

Elfrida

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 5:45 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We thought about finding a family but I have my doubts regardig, eg. the issue of yichud and the like. Maybe an elderly woman living alone might be a better option?

It depends what you/she is looking for. With an elderly lady, she'll probably have to be independent to a certain extent. She'll also need to arrange plans for Shabbos and chagim.

With a family she's more likely to be looked after. She'll be able to spend Shabbos with them or go out if she prefers. With a large family, yichud situations don't really come up so much, because there is rarely just one person at home. The family themself would be responsible for managing it, not just your daughter.

Most tichonim in Jerusalem don't have a dorm. I don't know of anywhere that does, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. If they do, the girls are likely to go home most Shabbatot, and always for chagim. It would mean finding somewhere else to stay over Pesach.

myname1

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 5:52 am
So how old is she? If she's 18-ish, maybe she should look into renting an apt with other girls. There's probably a Ramat Shlomo nishei email list or something- maybe ask for ideas there. But isn't Maalot a high school? How is she going there after finishing bagruyot? I could be completely confused on high schools here...

salt

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 5:55 am
myname1 wrote:
So how old is she? If she's 18-ish, maybe she should look into renting an apt with other girls. There's probably a Ramat Shlomo nishei email list or something- maybe ask for ideas there. But isn't Maalot a high school? How is she going there after finishing bagruyot? I could be completely confused on high schools here...

Maalot is a high school and also has a 13th/14th grade where you get a qualification.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 6:01 am
Elfrida wrote:
It depends what you/she is looking for. With an elderly lady, she'll probably have to be independent to a certain extent. She'll also need to arrange plans for Shabbos and chagim.

With a family she's more likely to be looked after. She'll be able to spend Shabbos with them or go out if she prefers. With a large family, yichud situations don't really come up so much, because there is rarely just one person at home. The family themself would be responsible for managing it, not just your daughter.

Most tichonim in Jerusalem don't have a dorm. I don't know of anywhere that does, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. If they do, the girls are likely to go home most Shabbatot, and always for chagim. It would mean finding somewhere else to stay over Pesach.

Thanks!!!

This is definitely sth to think about....
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics