Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Why do guests ask the photographer for pics?
Previous  1  2

Heyaaa

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 11:10 am
We had a horrible photographer who really did not know how to take family pix. We had very few and they weren’t posed and it was a huge letdown.

That being said, I was happy to see all the people who were in my wedding pix. We invited them becuase we wanted them there. I never dreamed that they wanted me to send them pix. I thought they wanted me to see a memory of them celebrating with me.

essie14

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 11:11 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I recently made a simcha. We got the pics back and there were a lot of random posed pictures of people who we did not ask the photographer to take pictures of. I asked him why there are these photos. He said guests stop him and ask him to take their picture, he said it happens all the time.

So my question is this - why do people stop the photographer and ask for their pic to be taken, when they are the guest?

Also, my MIL gave me a long list of pictures she wanted me to have taken for her. But she has no plan to pay for them. What am I supposed to do with those?

I got married 6 years ago. I sent a lot of my friends a link to the pics that they were in. It didn't take a long time.

You send your MIL the link and let her download whatever she wants and print whatever photos she wants.
What photographer charges per picture?
You get them electronically and you download what you choose.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 11:11 am
amother [ Anemone ] wrote:
I didn’t know they still do proofs. Sounds backwards.
Almost everything is digital today.

Proofs are the unedited gallery it can be hard pictures or digitals. Higher end photographers do not send every random snap they got. They cull the gallery and only send the good ones, they often do put a limit on how many they send. Now that people know hopefully everyone can be more considerate ( not referring to you )

singleagain

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 11:17 am
amother [ Alyssum ] wrote:
I find it's mostly kids at a bar/bat mitzva that do this. They are in a fun mood and don't realize they'll probably never see it. Some simchas have magnets for that purpose.
But it didn't cost us anything either so I didn't really care. We pay the photographer by the hour.
On my dime, though, I did make a small album for my parents and in-laws. It really did not cost much. And I sent out any extraordinarily cute pictures of little children or more distant relatives to the subjects.

Is it possible they got confused with the magnet ppl?

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 11:23 am
amother [ Nasturtium ] wrote:
Proofs are the unedited gallery it can be hard pictures or digitals. Higher end photographers do not send every random snap they got. They cull the gallery and only send the good ones, they often do put a limit on how many they send. Now that people know hopefully everyone can be more considerate ( not referring to you )

They don't usually do that for weddings.
They usually do that for private portrait pictures.

Even when they do a gallery for portraits they put as many pics as possible. Because the more pictures the client chooses from the gallery the more money they will make.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 11:24 am
amother [ Plum ] wrote:

I'm in the industry there are different types of photographers. Majority do cull and send a certain amount. Only really cheap ones just hand over the card without going through it.

amother
Anemone

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 11:34 am
I'm in the industry there are different types of photographers. Majority do cull and send a certain amount. Only really cheap ones just hand over the card without going through it.

I had family pics edited when getting digital.
I’d think a photographer - especially expensive - is smart enough to know which pics to edit and which ones not.
It sounds like a cop out to say I chose the first 25 without looking

amother
Nasturtium

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 11:34 am
amother [ Plum ] wrote:

Even when they do a gallery for portraits they put as many pics as possible. Because the more pictures the client chooses from the gallery the more money they will make.

No that's not true about portraits, actually studies show the more you overwhelm your clients the less they purchase. There is a perfect amount and those in the industry know. And there is a huge difference between high end and those who picked up a camera and just hand everything over without understanding the business. I'm assuming most people deal with cheap hand over every last snap of blinks and blurs photographers based on the replies.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 11:35 am
amother [ Anemone ] wrote:
I had family pics edited when getting digital.
I’d think a photographer - especially expensive - is smart enough to know which pics to edit and which ones not.
It sounds like a cop out to say I chose the first 25 without looking

The problem is the photographer has no idea if the family who posed is a close relative or a distant friend. They give the ones that look best, or important. So after the fact they assume all the posed guests were important and hand them all over. And that's not fair to the baal simcha.

amother
Moccasin

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 11:38 am

We've used various high end photographers for our weddings and we always get all unedited pictures they took and we need to choose which pictures we want edited. But we always get all shots.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 11:39 am
amother [ Moccasin ] wrote:
We've used various high end photographers for our weddings and we always get all unedited pictures they took and we need to choose which pictures we want edited. But we always get all shots.

I doubt you do. You likely just don't know that it was culled because you got a very large amount.

amother
Moccasin

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 11:44 am
I doubt you do. You likely just don't know that it was culled because you got a very large amount.

All pics they took can be viewed on their online gallery. They told us that it's every snapshot, and we chose from the gallery which pictures we want edited. They said they'd never have time to go through every single picture of every client, it basically automatically goes on the online gallery. Thousands of pictures.
In any case, even if they do take out doubles or blurred pictures, we don't pay per shot taken, and it's so exciting to see pictures of random people that were at the wedding.

PeanutMama

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 12:07 pm
I have pics from my wedding of random ppl I don’t know at all or barely know. I’m just glad they had a good time 🤷‍♀️

amother
Nasturtium

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 12:09 pm
amother [ Moccasin ] wrote:
All pics they took can be viewed on their online gallery. They told us that it's every snapshot, and we chose from the gallery which pictures we want edited. They said they'd never have time to go through every single picture of every client, it basically automatically goes on the online gallery. Thousands of pictures.
In any case, even if they do take out doubles or blurred pictures, we don't pay per shot taken, and it's so exciting to see pictures of random people that were at the wedding.

So either they mean by all there aren't any others they are going to offer you so it's all that you will see. Or they aren't high end, high end isn't just about price it's about service too. I don't know any that don't cull the basics, or at lease hire someone to cull.

amother
Moccasin

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 12:26 pm
So either they mean by all there aren't any others they are going to offer you so it's all that you will see. Or they aren't high end, high end isn't just about price it's about service too. I don't know any that don't cull the basics, or at lease hire someone to cull.

Maybe they do cull a bit, but we've always gotten very many pictures on the gallery. We choose from those pics, which one's we want edited.
(I consider Robinson, CJ, and 5 Star high end.)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette